Driven Frenchman Reviews 1,500 Thai Temples – And Counting

webfact

Driven Frenchman Reviews 1,500 Thai Temples – And Counting

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

LorisCurtenaz1.jpg

Top: Loris Curtenaz poses May 7 in front of his ‘favorite Bangkok temple,’ Wat Hongrattanararm.

BANGKOK — A canalside temple tucked in a historic, western Bangkok community a temple has a treasure known only to a handful people.

It’s a two-meter Buddha figure cast in gold, reportedly sculpted six centuries ago during the Sukhothai era. While a similar figure in Chinatown’s Wat Traimitr draws fame – and endless visitors – the glimmering Lord Buddha at Wat Hongrattanararm meditates in silence within a deserted chapel. Not one worshiper, let alone tourist, is seen praying to the treasure.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/2018/05/16/driven-frenchman-reviews-1500-thai-temples-and-counting/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-16

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Curtenaz said. “And I’m a farang doing this alone. Some temples might not like what I do.”

“What I think is, Buddhism is in crisis. One reason is people getting older and there are not many new monks,” Curtenaz said. “There is now a competition between temples. They try to attract people and money.”

What a great story. A guy visiting temples - out of genuine interest.

It would be interesting if there was a Good Temple Guide, based genuinely on what there is at the temple, or its historical past. Having said that, as quoted above, some of the temples might for their own reasons not want to encourage tourists.

I think he's spot-on with his comments about Buddhism too.

I'm surprised TAT hasn't yet jumped on the bandwagon with some spin, claiming that tourists do come to Thailand to visit temples.

Archived