Residency Certificate ?

Max66

On 5/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, EricTh said:

However, if you go to apply for driving license, TM30 is not enough, you still need the cert of residence which is another paper with your photo on it.

You need the TM30 to apply for the cert of residence, almost two years ago when I did it, it used to be the same section. Now it is separated into two sections.

If you expect friendliness from the officers at TM30, you can forget about it. Only the student helpers are friendly.... 

That's why some people prefer to pay and use the 'agent' services.

But, what I said is that you get the TM30 on 2nd floor at Promenada, and then go downstairs to the office for certificate of residency (next to the copy shop) and fill out cert. of residency form, present it, along with 2x2 passport photo, and they give you a certificate of residency.   

From  what I understand, this is correct procedure.  I’m not sure if you get the certificate on the spot (I’m guessing not), but if you’re not in a rush, I think this would be ok...assuming you get it with enough time left to use it for drivers license application, before the certificate’s 30 expiration date.  Am I right...anyone?

Note:  I’m also not sure if you can just go in the residency certificate office at any time of day to apply, or if you can only queu at certain time of day, and/or need an “appointment” but I was under impression you can just walk in any time.

2 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Out of curiosity I contacted TIAN about handling retirement visa and was told their fee is 18,000 baht (including 90 day reporting for a year).  That sounds VERY expensive.  Is this the going rate for agents in general?

What visa do you presently have?... Does it need to be converted?...  

17 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

What visa do you presently have?... Does it need to be converted?...  

Sorry, I got things mixed up.  I have a METV (6 month tourist visa) and wanted their rate for "Change of Visa" to Non-O.  It was their charge for change of visa that I found to be quite expensive.  I don't understand why there is such a big difference between their fee to do retirement visa vs change visa.

Here is their reply:

For Change Visa 18,000 Baht.
Retirement Visa 7,300 Baht(Free 90 days report 4 times)

Since my real goal is the retirement visa, they would be charging me over 25,000 baht!  That seems VERY expensive for what's involved.

3 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Sorry, I got things mixed up.  I have a METV (6 month tourist visa) and wanted their rate for "Change of Visa" to Non-O.  It was their charge for change of visa that I found to be quite expensive.  I don't understand why there is such a big difference between their fee to do retirement visa vs change visa.

Here is their reply:

For Change Visa 18,000 Baht.
Retirement Visa 7,300 Baht(Free 90 days report 4 times)

Since my real goal is the retirement visa, they would be charging me over 25,000 baht!  That seems VERY expensive for what's involved.

You might consider just flying to Vientiane or Penang (AirAsia ~4,000 baht) when your METV runs out.. I believe you said in another post you have 800k in the bank so get a letter from the bank -  With that the Thai Consul should issue you a Non-O 90 day Visa which you then can then extend to yearly stays... the “visa conversion” has always been a pain hence the 18k price... most give up on that route and take a couple days vacation to a neighboring Thai Consul...  

Just now, sfokevin said:

You might consider just flying to Vientiane or Penang (AirAsia ~4,000 baht) when your METV runs out.. I believe you said in another post you have 800k in the bank so get a letter from the bank -  With that the Thai Consul should issue you a Non-O 90 day Visa which you then can then extend to yearly stays... the “visa conversion” has always been a pain hence the 18k price... most give up on that route and take a couple days vacation to a neighboring Thai Consul...  

With all the confusion and general craziness I'm hearing about with regard to dealing with Promenada, I'm wondering if this might not be such a bad idea!  Do you have personal experience with doing this?

3 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

With all the confusion and general craziness I'm hearing about with regard to dealing with Promenada, I'm wondering if this might not be such a bad idea!  Do you have personal experience with doing this?

I did this in Vientiane a 3 years ago...  It was relatively painless and Vientiane was a nice place to visit... research the forum for more recent reports and requirements... See the attached form (check the consul website for most recent form)... Also check your visa requirements for entry into Laos...

visa application form_new_v_13_8_2558.pdf

Update: Went to Promenada again today and went to OTain. Wow, so much easier. Gave them all the documents including that receipt I mentioned before. The passport pictures I had were not the right size so they took new ones right there. Easy peasy 1-2-3sy. Expedited Residency Certificate 1000 baht, passport pictures 200 baht. Going back tomorrow to pick up the certificate. 

4 hours ago, Santogold said:

Update: Went to Promenada again today and went to OTain. Wow, so much easier. Gave them all the documents including that receipt I mentioned before. The passport pictures I had were not the right size so they took new ones right there. Easy peasy 1-2-3sy. Expedited Residency Certificate 1000 baht, passport pictures 200 baht. Going back tomorrow to pick up the certificate. 

That does sound like a good deal.  So, you got that receipt from the office upstairs by showing the "notification that the landlord had filed a TM30?  The other things you gave them were:

• Copy of lease
  • Copy of passport
  • Anything else???

Can you go to their office any time of day?

I think I might try the same thing.  I'm also trying to convert my tourist visa to a Non-O so it would be nice to only have to deal with one set of bureaucratic obstacles, not two ?

29 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

That does sound like a good deal.  So, you got that receipt from the office upstairs by showing the "notification that the landlord had filed a TM30?  The other things you gave them were:

• Copy of lease
  • Copy of passport
  • Anything else???

Can you go to their office any time of day?

I think I might try the same thing.  I'm also trying to convert my tourist visa to a Non-O so it would be nice to only have to deal with one set of bureaucratic obstacles, not two ?

Yes, I got the receipt upstairs but I didn't have to show them that the landlord filed anything. I just gave her my application for the residency certificate, my passport, and a copy of my signed lease contract. She then told me to wait a bit while she looked me up in her computer. I assume that means she was checking to see if the landlord verified me living at the address on the lease.

The immigration officer also asked if had 2 passport pictures and copies of pages in my passport. I did and began to hand them to her but she didn't take them and never looked at them.

Everything I brought to 2nd floor immigration:

1. Passport
  2. Copy of signed lease
  3. Application for residency certificate (they have the form in the office on the desk where you get a numbered ticket for queue, but you can also download it from here: https://chiangmaibuddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Thai-Residency-Certificate-Form.pdf)
  4. Photo copies of these passport pages: 1st page (the one with picture), Departure card, most recent entry stamp, Visa page
  5. Photo copy of American drivers license

But as mentioned, the immigration office only looked at items 1 - 3 (even though she asked about all of them). At the end she gave me the Receipt that I showed in the previous message. 

When I went to OTain, they asked for all items, 1 - 5 AND the Receipt I got from immigration.

I think you can go to OTain any time when they are open. I just walked in at about 11am, no appointment, and they helped me within 5 minutes. Not sure what time they open but they said they close at 5pm.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Santogold said:

Yes, I got the receipt upstairs but I didn't have to show them that the landlord filed anything. I just gave her my application for the residency certificate, my passport, and a copy of my signed lease contract. She then told me to wait a bit while she looked me up in her computer. I assume that means she was checking to see if the landlord verified me living at the address on the lease.

The immigration officer also asked if had 2 passport pictures and copies of pages in my passport. I did and began to hand them to her but she didn't take them and never looked at them.

Everything I brought to 2nd floor immigration:

1. Passport
  2. Copy of signed lease
  3. Application for residency certificate (they have the form in the office on the desk where you get a numbered ticket for queue, but you can also download it from here: https://chiangmaibuddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Thai-Residency-Certificate-Form.pdf)
  4. Photo copies of these passport pages: 1st page (the one with picture), Departure card, most recent entry stamp, Visa page
  5. Photo copy of American drivers license

But as mentioned, the immigration office only looked at items 1 - 3 (even though she asked about all of them). At the end she gave me the Receipt that I showed in the previous message. 

When I went to OTain, they asked for all items, 1 - 5 AND the Receipt I got from immigration.

I think you can go to OTain any time when they are open. I just walked in at about 11am, no appointment, and they helped me within 5 minutes. Not sure what time they open but they said they close at 5pm.

Hope that helps.

Perfect; I think I'll do same.  Thanks for those details. 

• 10 months later...
18 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

I'll have my chanote (I own a condo).

Do I need to get that TM30 thing first?

I live in a condo that I own.

Will I be fined for not getting one. ???? I've been in the country about a month on this current POS. 

Archived