Mid-range smartphone recommendations

NanLaew

I heard good things about the Xiaomi Mi A1 4G/64GB and bought one that has now migrated to one of the nieces. It was recommended on this forum with cost, battery life and lack of any bloatware being big pluses. The camera doesn't seem as sharp as other similar level marques and this was noted in online reviews. But as a phone, it is great. I read that they have a new model coming out and early reviews on Indian media indicates an all round improvement. I don't recall the new model number so asking if anyone can assist and if it is available here yet.

I also hear that Huawei have a decent product on the Thai market so again, asking advice on model number with links and I can follow up.

Other recommendations for a 5.5" for around 10-12,000 baht are welcome. Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest... in fact the ~5000 baht markup on the latest model isn't an imperative.

Thanks!

NL

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the biggest drawback with dumbphones IMO is the rotten battery time,

so i always ask for the phone with best standby time,

which still isnt better than 2 paltry days.

the phone i was recommended was

model cro-l22

build number cairo-l22xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Huawei Y3 (2017)

I am very satisfied with the Samsung J7+.

Excellent display (Full HD, Amoled), fast, enough memory (4 GB, 32 GB), dual cam.

Don't be fooled to buy a "J7 Pro" or "Prime", "J7+" is it.

Bloatware, unfortunately yes. At least with that amount of memory it doesn't hurt much.

It's now down to about 8000 Baht :wink:

My lad has a J7 Prime 32 gb / 32 gb (card )

* 13mp/8mp - Cameras

* 5.5" FHD TFT

* 4G LTE

* 1.6 GHz Octa Core Processor 

I think we got it a 1 1/2 ago

8000 bht

Now have a problem - The RETURN KEY wont work - getting fixed now ( 1hr ) for 900 bht

But! Apparently Samsung has a built in Battery Saver feature - This needs to be turned off (I'm hoping my 900 bht ain't for 30 minutes of phone configuration)

Everything on phone needs to be updated - to ensure everything functions

Apparently an App called "whats app " interferes with phone

The above I got of Google to see where my 900 bht is going

It's certainly not a Mother Board as that is 2000 bht, but it may be the Return Sensor which comes in at 300 bht 

I bought a Xiaomi Mi Max last year for 11,000 on Lazada

It's got a 6.44" display, 128 GB Storage and has been an excellent phone.  

There is now a Mi Max 2  which is selling on Lazada for less than I paid for my Mi Max 1  

I think it's a great phone!

You can compare the two versions here - https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8582&idPhone2=8057

50 minutes ago, seancbk said:

There is now a Mi Max 2  which is selling on Lazada for less than I paid for my Mi Max 1  

You can compare the two versions here - https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8582&idPhone2=8057

For Xiao mi, the Mix 2 is the phone to look at -- no bezel like the iPhone X, so you get the big screen in a much smaller body -- the Max is history. But you will pay a bit more also, about B13,000. The One Plus 5 gets great reviews. I am an Asus fan, and just ordered the Zenfone 4 Max Plus (M1), which has a 5.7" screen, with 4 GB of RAM and 32 GB of ROM, and can be had now on Lazada for just under B5000 -- a steal at that price. It gets great reviews across the board, exceptional battery life, except for the camera (the camera on my Zenfone 3 is also disappointing, but not a huge problem IMO). I like Asus because they have a factory service center just a short walk from Fortune Town in BKK, so getting warranty work is relatively easy as compared to some of the other less popular phones in Thailand. The new Zenfone 5z is also a great phone (has the new Snapdragon 845 processor), but it is hard to find and triple the price of the Zenfone 4 Max Plus. Avoid the Max Pro, it is not as good as the max Plus and costs a bit more. Lots of good choices now....

Htc u11 Eyes . Cost around 11-12,000 . All singing dancing and can add up to 2 tb of memory using micro sd  card I think it was. Have a htc m8 after iphone and Samsung and will be buying the htc u12 when my present phone dies. Never had any problems with it, dropped it more times than I remember , battery life is good and doing anything on it is straight forward. Also bought a iPhone 6 for 12,000 to use as iPod on long haul flights and when working out as was same cost as a new iPod.

I totally recommend Vivo, I have a V3, the Mrs has a later one, both do more, and  better, than I ever expected. Much better than the Oppos that went before, and I thought they were wonderful. I am now looking to replace my dying iPad2 with a Huayei - Grrrrr....., I hate Apple!

New Huawei Nova 11.  Now 8.8k and 7.8k on promotions.  Bought one for a friend and one for wife.    4 cameras is a bit of a gimmick but it takes great photos and has 64/4 memory.  Comes with free everything.  Case, tough glass cover self stick, headphones in the promo shops beats the heck out of most other phones for features for dollar. 

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Excellent display (Full HD, Amoled), fast, enough memory (4 GB, 32 GB), dual cam.

Bloatware, unfortunately yes. At least with that amount of memory it doesn't hurt much.

It's now down to about 8000 Baht :wink:

Why not J7 Pro? I got one:tongue:

The camera(s) are a bit better on the pro I think, not that I am impressed with them?

It was an emergency buy, my old phone died just before I was heading overseas for work and I had to buy something.

I never get a Sammy again, hate the bloatware and the never ending request of log-in to my non existing sammy account.

Okay the phone is okaish to use, screen is okay, responsive as well.

I am interested in the soon to be launched Huawei Honor10 that is much cheaper than the new top camera phone; the P20.

29 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

The camera(s) are a bit better on the pro I think, not that I am impressed with them?

It was an emergency buy, my old phone died just before I was heading overseas for work and I had to buy something.

I never get a Sammy again, hate the bloatware and the never ending request of log-in to my non existing sammy account.

Okay the phone is okaish to use, screen is okay, responsive as well.

I am interested in the soon to be launched Huawei Honor10 that is much cheaper than the new top camera phone; the P20.

Do you know any brand that is not sold with $hit apps that we do not want ?

9 hours ago, grkt said:

Well my old UMI Super didn't have any bloatware at all, nada same as the Pixel phones I read somewhere.

I have a J7 Prime and I dont feel at all fooled. In fact I'm perfectly happy with it.

Why should I be unhappy?

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Xiaomi.

As I go through my Asus Zenfone 3, the only app that I can't remove and never use is "File Manager" (I have no idea what it does; never opened it). I have managed to remove relatively easily everything else that I didn't want/never used.

In the mid range, I would stay within the Asus, Huawei (Honor), Xiao Mi, and OnePlus group (I was going to include OPPO, but deleted it on further consideration; Motorola should probably be in the group also, some models get excellent reviews, but I have no idea about price), and stay away (far away) from Samsung, Vivo, iMobile. The former are generally good quality, good features and good value for money (of course, with variations within the group); the latter are not (you get what (or less) than you pay for). Choose based on the features that are important to you (and price) -- you won't get it all in any one phone.  

10 hours ago, grkt said:

Xiaomi Mi A1 - Android one and receives monthly security updates, have one for a few months and am satisfied.

Motorola

Nokia

1 hour ago, Fat Prophet said:

In the mid range, I would stay within the Asus, Huawei (Honor), Xiao Mi, and OnePlus group (I was going to include OPPO, but deleted it on further consideration; Motorola should probably be in the group also, some models get excellent reviews, but I have no idea about price), and stay away (far away) from Samsung, Vivo, iMobile. The former are generally good quality, good features and good value for money (of course, with variations within the group); the latter are not (you get what (or less) than you pay for). Choose based on the features that are important to you (and price) -- you won't get it all in any one phone.  

For anyone that might now be in the market for a new phone, I just received a notice from Lazada that the Honor 7c will be on sale from 12:00 to 18:00 today for B4690, from the regular on-line price of B5390. 5.99" display; 3/32 GB memory (Huawei Honor 7C Android smartphone. Announced Mar 2018. Features 5.99″ IPS LCD display, Snapdragon 450 chipset, Dual: 13 MP + 2 MP primary camera, 8 MP front camera, 3000 mAh battery....). Gets excellent reviews; looks like a great deal at this price IMO.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I have a J7 Prime and I dont feel at all fooled.

12 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I did not want to say that the other J7 models are not good.

Just wanted to point out which is the model I have.

And it is the latest edition and technically has the best specs.

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I did not want to say that the other J7 models are not good.

Just wanted to point out which is the model I have.

And it is the latest edition and technically has the best specs.

Gave up on Samsung's and the two dozen unused apps that it typically comes bundled with but still demand updating. I know that one can uninstall all updates on these unused bundled apps to free up space if it becomes an issue but I think it is better not to have the bloat in the first place. I like ASUS products but note that they too have some rubbish apps. Luckily, I haven't had any memory issues yet.

1 hour ago, Fat Prophet said:

For anyone that might now be in the market for a new phone, I just received a notice from Lazada that the Honor 7c will be on sale from 12:00 to 18:00 today for B4690, from the regular on-line price of B5390. 5.99" display; 3/32 GB memory (Huawei Honor 7C Android smartphone. Announced Mar 2018. Features 5.99″ IPS LCD display, Snapdragon 450 chipset, Dual: 13 MP + 2 MP primary camera, 8 MP front camera, 3000 mAh battery....). Gets excellent reviews; looks like a great deal at this price IMO.

Good find there FP... Mrs NL was mentioning that brand so maybe that's the one she was reading about. Great price too.

20 hours ago, seancbk said:

gsmarena is a great website for comparison shopping before pricing stuff.

More good choices from Xiaomi, thanks.

Mrs NL reckons the 6.4" is a tad too unwieldy for her small hands, especially when the other is balancing NL Jr on her hip. She liked the size of my Asus ZenFone 3 which is 5.5" screen.

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good find there FP... Mrs NL was mentioning that brand so maybe that's the one she was reading about. Great price too.

Honor is a label made by Huawei, which is coming quickly and strong, especially in Asia. One of the Honor phones (Honor 10) was ranked as the best mid range smartphone for 2018 recently, and the Honor 9 was close behind (ranked 4th) by TechAdvisor.UK.  So, I think that Honor generally is a good bet. I would be seriously interested if I hadn't already ordered the Asus 4 Max Plus for just a tad more.  My only question would be parts availability and repair. Asus recently made a statement that it was reducing/removing extra apps from its phones, so the new models should be streamlined in that regard. I hope that is the case with my Max Plus when it arrives, but as I said in an earlier post, I have removed all of the unwanted apps from my Zenfone 3 with little problem, so I am not especially worried about apps. My biggest concern (and hope) is for a better camera on the 4 Max Plus than I have on the 3 Laser. I frequently carry my Nikon 1 or my DSLR, but it would be nice to get decent pictures when I am caught off guard, which is often not the case with the Zenfone 3.  

Also have a look at the WIKO brand which gets more and more popular here in Thailand are the leading low//midrange brand in many countries in Western Europe. It is a French company. 6-7000 Baht get you an absolute top-model.

Check what's available on lazada.

In PTY the Numchai IT chain has them, for example at their huge Sukhumvit store

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Gave up on Samsung's and the two dozen unused apps that it typically comes bundled with but still demand updating.

I agree about this annoyance and would wish that the competition by the "clean" Android models will learn them a lesson.

I switched off automatic update, check the notifications and being puzzled how often some apps require updates.

LINE might easily require three updates a week.

Archived