Mid-range smartphone recommendations

NanLaew

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
grkt; with the Xiaomi Mi A2 set to be announced and released July 24 that hasn't stopped stores on Aliexpress from listing it, with a couple of stores claiming to have it in stock and ready to ship.  I suppose it will be at Lazada fairly soon, but for eager people willing to use Aliexpress consider the Mi A2 Lite which this seller claims to have in stock, in the blue color no less, for 6,198 baht.

On 7/11/2018 at 11:05 AM, Elkski said:

Had guy on top floor of terminal 21 try to sell me the huawei y7 6500.  Of course there is the p20 for 20,000 baht.   Why do I find choosing a phone such a difficult thing?

Unless you meant Y9, he was trying to rip you off big time. 6500 is what I might expect an independent dealer to drop to on the Y9, Huawei stores, Big C and the rest have it at full price for 6990. The Y7 is it's lower spec cousin, with no fingerprint scanner etc, sold everywhere for 4990.

The Huawei Honor Note 10 was announced today.  To me, it completely knocks the socks off the Xiaomi Mi Max 3, being smaller with a 6.95 in Super AMOLED screen, a blazing fast CPU, 24 + 16 MP dual rear cameras, super fast charging, NFC support, and high tech stereo speakers.  It's announced price is not all that much higher than the Mi Max 3, and depends on the memory you want, starting at 13,634 baht for 6 GB RAM / 64 GB ROM.  Here are the two phones compared on devicespecifications.

Lazada is listing the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite for a great price.  I can now give the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite my highest recommendation for anyone buying a smartphone in the 4,000 - 8,000 baht range.

It's 5,399 baht in the 3 GB 32 GB version and 6,499 baht in the 4 GB 64 GB version.

For that you get a pure OS, a 4000 mAh battery, nice cameras; I could go on and on.  This phone just has the perfect mid-range specifications.

I would like to see stereo speakers here, that seems like the last quality spec that smartphone manufacturers add.  Other than that this model has it all.

are you sure the Xiaomi mi a2 will work with DTAC in BKK?  might make a good gift to upgrade someones S5  that has the flashing display issue.    How complicated will it be to  switch over to this phone from a S5?   just put in the sim card?  and then load all your apps?  and how to tell someone to transfer contacts?    plus a pain to backup line plus you lose any chat  pictures  past 3 months old...

And are we all supposed to buy these phones and ship them to your address in that link Daocat?  

As for any given phone working on DTAC that can be checked at Kimovil.  I don't really understand most of the other questions.  When you upgrade your phone you have to decide how to get the apps and info from the old phone onto the new phone, or just get them again on the new phone  I think you can transfer chat pictures via a computer, but i don't know for sure, and I don't know if you can transfer things from one phone to another phone.

The gsmarena review of the Mi A2 I think was favorable,  but I didn't care for that phone even before I found out from gsmarena about the dim display.  I am recommending the Mi A2 Lite.

On 8/7/2018 at 5:23 AM, daocat555 said:
Lazada is listing the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite for a great price.  I can now give the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite my highest recommendation for anyone buying a smartphone in the 4,000 - 8,000 baht range.

It's 5,399 baht in the 3 GB 32 GB version and 6,499 baht in the 4 GB 64 GB version.

For that you get a pure OS, a 4000 mAh battery, nice cameras; I could go on and on.  This phone just has the perfect mid-range specifications.

I would like to see stereo speakers here, that seems like the last quality spec that smartphone manufacturers add.  Other than that this model has it all.

I went to the mall this week to buy this mi a2 lite but they did not have it yet.Sounds like a phone for me,i do not call a lot but take a lot of pictures.Also i do not need a lot of apps,all i ever use is normal phoning service,whats app and take pictures/video.I need a good camera and if i can make and receive calls it is even better!!!

The price for the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite increased today from 6,499 baht to 8,371 baht for the 4/64 version as offered by Xiaomi Online Store at Lazada, who also radically increased their price for the 3/32 version.  The best deal at Lazada on the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite is now 6,290 baht for the 3/32 version with a free Xiaomi Mi band.  Which, I suppose, is fine for people interested in the Xiaomi Mi band, but for the rest of us it is not so good, especially when compared to the offer for the 3/32 version by Xiaomi Online yesterday.  Other stores at Lazada are selling the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 4/64 for as high as 13,475 baht, which is completely ridiculous.   Jvs; if you are not amused by this change then you have company.  I was considering ordering the 4/64 version from the Xiaomi Online Store at Lazada for a friend, but not for 8,371 baht.  The good news, I think, is that it is likely that the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite will be in stock at "the mall" (which mall is that?) soon; and at MBK and Pantip.

The Xiaomi Redmi 6A has reached Lazada, currently out of stock at the Store selling it for 3,990 baht, but it is in stock in all colors for 4,186.23 baht.  I also expect that model to be available at all the usual places soon.  It went as low as less than 3,000 baht at one point on Aliexpress; but right now buying it in Thailand would be wiser.

I had been singing the praises of the Xiaomi Redmi 6A for months, however yesterday the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 3/32 from the Xiaomi Online Store at Lazada for 5,399 was clearly the best deal in town for a new phone with Mid-range specification.  Today the picture isn't so clear.

The best price on the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 4/64 from an International seller is at SUNSKY, for 6,550.28 baht.  

I stumbled upon an International smartphone seller called Oppomart and it has the best prices I can find on the Meizu 15 and the Meizu 15 Plus; $329 for the Meizu 15 and $419 for the Meizu Plus.  It also has good prices for the Meizu 16th and Meizu 16th Plus.

I looked for prices for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and Samsung Thailand has it on promotion for $1,196.66 (39,900 baht). 

Lazada has shops which will discount Samsung phones. and sure enough has it listed in copper color in the 8/512 version for 33,900 baht which is a tidy discount on this new phone in it's maximum memory version.

For me, the Google Pixel 3 and 3 XL beats the Samsung S9 and Note 9.  Leaks are appearing regularly on the Pixel phones expected to be available in October.  The Pixel 3 XL (rumored specs) vs the Galaxy Note 9:

And this from a notable Russian leaker via gsmarena:

The Pixel 3 XL will have a 6.7-inch 1440x2960 touchscreen, which is pretty huge even by today's notched standards. The phone will be powered by a 3,430 mAh battery, which seems rather worrying given that big display it has to power (and devices like the Samsung Galaxy Note9 shipping with much larger cells, and the Pixel 2 XL from last year actually having a marginally bigger one too).

I personally don't need a big battery, so the Pixel 3 XL being shorter, narrower, thinner, and lighter than the Samsung Note 9 while also having a bigger screen is attractive.  What bothers me when I fantasize about actually buying the Pixel 3 XL is Google's insistence on a single rear camera.  As I have said, I think the Huawei P 20 Pro with it's triple rear cameras is the best phone for photo's, and I know most websites disagree.

Sony has announced a 48-Megapixel camera sensor which will be available for 2019 phones.  About a month ago I found info on a camera maker  who is going to make a Smartphone with SLR quality photo capacity and I can't find it right now.  I'm off to look for it.

Since it's a while before the Pixel 3's are available I will try to refrain myself from posting about them too often, and also from touting the big Meizu's.  The Samsung Galaxy Note 9....very nice phone; my point, there are options in the here and now and upcoming.

21 hours ago, daocat555 said:
The price for the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite increased today from 6,499 baht to 8,371 baht for the 4/64 version as offered by Xiaomi Online Store at Lazada, who also radically increased their price for the 3/32 version.  The best deal at Lazada on the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite is now 6,290 baht for the 3/32 version with a free Xiaomi Mi band.  Which, I suppose, is fine for people interested in the Xiaomi Mi band, but for the rest of us it is not so good, especially when compared to the offer for the 3/32 version by Xiaomi Online yesterday.  Other stores at Lazada are selling the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 4/64 for as high as 13,475 baht, which is completely ridiculous.   Jvs; if you are not amused by this change then you have company.  I was considering ordering the 4/64 version from the Xiaomi Online Store at Lazada for a friend, but not for 8,371 baht.  The good news, I think, is that it is likely that the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite will be in stock at "the mall" (which mall is that?) soon; and at MBK and Pantip.

The Xiaomi Redmi 6A has reached Lazada, currently out of stock at the Store selling it for 3,990 baht, but it is in stock in all colors for 4,186.23 baht.  I also expect that model to be available at all the usual places soon.  It went as low as less than 3,000 baht at one point on Aliexpress; but right now buying it in Thailand would be wiser.

I had been singing the praises of the Xiaomi Redmi 6A for months, however yesterday the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 3/32 from the Xiaomi Online Store at Lazada for 5,399 was clearly the best deal in town for a new phone with Mid-range specification.  Today the picture isn't so clear.

The best price on the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 4/64 from an International seller is at SUNSKY, for 6,550.28 baht.  

1 hour ago, mitebbots said:

Pixel 3/XL no Dual SIM support, I'm out. 

I know this is midrange phone discussion, trying to figure out what to replace my S8+ with. I'm done with Samsung. 

What's wrong with the Asus zenfone 5 Max 3/32 (5,690) or 4/64 (6990) model (zb602kl)?  Also Lazada sometimes has coupons where you can get 5-8% off of mobiles/tablets.

Or if you want to save a bit of cash, get the earlier Asus zenfone 4 Max Pro 3/32 (ZC554KL) for 3,900-4,400. That one includes the premium gift set (selfie stick + holder for either the car or beltclip).   

Or the Asus Zenfone Max Plus M1 (ZB570TL) for 4990. 

Dual sim support without any issues.  Asus QA is a little more robust than Huawei IMO when it comes to making sure the android programs do not conflict with multi-tasking.  Huawei has some background optimizers that are closing programs even when you tell them to be exempt.

I do believe now Asus Thailand allows send-in warranty service via 7-eleven.  Haven't had to test it though. And this time I got a rugged case for it.  The stand is flimsy and has already broken off after about 2-3 months, but the case does the job well and 3 drops later the phone is still in mint condition.  Glass screen protector has a hairline crack, but you can use it without any problems.

Not sure why Xiaomi, Huawei, Oppo etc are so hyped up here.  I guess now they do have some dedicated Thai support, but 2-3 years ago I wouldn't have ordered on aliexpress et. al.   You get better deals and service with the proper local dealer.

The Samsung Galaxy S8+ was a nice phone.  Thin and narrow, although quite long with a large Super AMOLED screen.  It's major drawback was weak audio output.  The Vivo X21 UD is offered at a nice discount at Lazada, 16,890 baht.

It's thinner, shorter, and lighter than the Samsung, however it's a bit wider with a weaker battery.  Android Authority liked the audio output, as single down firing speakers go.

Mitbbots; I'm in the 'done with Samsung Club" myself, but I was basically happy with my old Samsung; I just think that other companies, particularly Chinese, offer comparable phones for a better price.  I am a phone recommender junkie; can you tell me the feature you are interested in?  Big screen?  Good camera?  Good audio output?  Do that and I can be more specific in my recommendation such as the Meizu 16th which I recommend for everybody, or sometimes even a different brand.

I hope I'm not getting dull when I say the Meizu is shorter, narrower, thinner and lighter than the other two phones here, albeit with the weakest battery.  It rips the Antutu score, will most likely have excellent audio output, and has the best camera of the phones here.  Does it's price, $496.99 for white, 6/128 (mines on order), eliminate it from the Mid-range bracket?  Well; maybe.  Then there's the Meizu 15.  Okay; I'll stop.  

Oh, Asus brand.  Zenfone 5 Max and Max Plus M1?  Very nice phones with a value price tag, the downsides, to me, are the IPS not AMOLED screen, single down firing speaker, and average camera.

Just depends on the features people are interested in, the price they want to pay, as well as how comfortable someone is about ordering online in Thailand (frequently Lazada) or ordering online from an International seller (Aliexpress, SUNSKY).

International Moto G6 Plays are less than $200 on Amazon. I ordered one that my friend will be bringing in.

Do you think Thai customs will be freaking out as he is bringing two brand new in box phones plus all his personal electronics?

21 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Or if you want to save a bit of cash, get the earlier Asus zenfone 4 Max Pro 3/32 (ZC554KL) for 3,900-4,400. That one includes the premium gift set (selfie stick + holder for either the car or beltclip).   

Bought one this week, 3,990 includes film, case, selfie stick, car dash mount + 1year 100gb google drive cloud storage.

Asus have a repair centre at the end of my road.

Nobody else had anything to match it at the price, and I'm tired of the noname phones failing after 2 years with no repair possible (usually battery failure).

Nyezhov; I am really not trying to be a big troll here, but consider the Moto G Play vs the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite:

The Xiaomi is shorter, narrower, thinner, and lighter than the Moto with a bigger screen and the same size battery.  The Xiaomi has a newer OS, a faster process technology, more memory, a better graphics chip, and a higher resolution display with more ppi,  There is not one spec of the Moto which is better than the Xiaomi; except I suppose, the non-objective "build quality".  The Xiaomi is the same price, if, you are willing to buy from, say, SUNSKY.

I would not expect a problem with Thai Customs for an American flying in with "nothing to declare".

Comparing the Asus Zenfone 4 Max Pro to, oh, the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro shows the Asus does come out better on certain specs such as battery, RAM channels, camera by a bit, and price by a bit.  But for the 5.99 in screen you are holding in your hand a body width of 76 mm vs 71.68 mm for the Xiaomi which has a 5.84 in screen.  That's why, I think, new phones tend to beat old phones.  I admit the Asus was a classic; a very nice phone in it's day.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bought one this week, 3,990 includes film, case, selfie stick, car dash mount + 1year 100gb google drive cloud storage.

Asus have a repair centre at the end of my road.

Nobody else had anything to match it at the price, and I'm tired of the noname phones failing after 2 years with no repair possible (usually battery failure).

Dont forget to use glass screen protector and get a better case, like the rugged case.  Actually there are 2 vendors that are fulfilled by lazada that have the case I described earlier.  

Hard to go back to smaller batteries when the Max lasts a day and a half.  At least now the charging is under 3 hours from nearly 0 to 100%.  The pre-Zenfone 3 series did not have rapid charging....6-10hrs depending on the condition of your charging cable!

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You are comparing a 4,000bht phone with a 6,000bht phone.

Not to mention Xiaomi is impossible to repair in Thailand.

Those who researched the Zenfone 5 Max Pro M1 probably noticed they have 3/32GB, 4/64GB, and 6/64GB models.  I didn't think 6/64GB model would hit Thailand, but apparently K-Smart just got them.  No real extra goodies.  But 7990 for 6gb/64GB dual sim + 5000mAh battery phone is good.  And if you can find one of those 6-8% off vouchers, then you can save a few baht.

And looks like they went just as quickly.   I think 4gb is plenty, but for the extra 1000 baht some might find it with a slightly stronger camera worthwhile.  Maybe the 6GB ram model also has USB-C charger, but I cannot confirm this.

I have concerns about getting a phone for a friend in Thailand when there isn't a place for this person to go to if they have issues with phone or just how to get her old apps and contact list transferred over.   I maybe able to figure it out but not everyone can or would want to  figure this out.   I think this is overlooked by some of you phone geeks. 

2 hours ago, daocat555 said:
Nyezhov; I am really not trying to be a big troll here, but consider the Moto G Play vs the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite:

The Xiaomi is shorter, narrower, thinner, and lighter than the Moto with a bigger screen and the same size battery.  The Xiaomi has a newer OS, a faster process technology, more memory, a better graphics chip, and a higher resolution display with more ppi,  There is not one spec of the Moto which is better than the Xiaomi; except I suppose, the non-objective "build quality".  The Xiaomi is the same price, if, you are willing to buy from, say, SUNSKY.

I would not expect a problem with Thai Customs for an American flying in with "nothing to declare".

Comparing the Asus Zenfone 4 Max Pro to, oh, the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro shows the Asus does come out better on certain specs such as battery, RAM channels, camera by a bit, and price by a bit.  But for the 5.99 in screen you are holding in your hand a body width of 76 mm vs 71.68 mm for the Xiaomi which has a 5.84 in screen.  That's why, I think, new phones tend to beat old phones.  I admit the Asus was a classic; a very nice phone in it's day.

Thanks,but the differences between the two are minimal and the Moto is better back in the States, plus has quick charging

The best price I found on Lazada for the Asus Zenfone 4 ZC554KL Max Pro 3/32 GB was 3,990 baht.

The best price I found on Lazada for the Nubia M2 was 4,790 baht.  Here the two phones as compared on Kimovil.

The Nubia M2 has a Super AMOLED screen, memory of 4/64, a 16 MP selfie, and an Antutu score of 62,000.
The Asus has an IPS screen, memory of 3/32, a 8 MP selfie, and an Antutu score of 43,000.

The Nubia is thinner, narrower and lighter, and has Gorilla Glass and LED notification light which the Asus does not have.  The Nubia charges via USB type C.  The Nubia has a 13 MP monochrome secondary rear camera the Asus has a secondary 5 MP depth sensor.  The Nubia M2 has been reviewed on many sites with reviewer's noting the loud and clear audio output.

Yes; I am comparing a 4,790 baht phone with a 3,990 baht phone.  To me, the 800 baht extra for the Nubia M2 gets someone a really better phone.

But hey, I like you guys.  Please visit the Affordable Smartphone Topic and bring it there as well.

The best price I found on Lazada for the Asus Zenfone 4 ZC554KL Max Pro 3/32 GB was 3,990 baht.

The best price I found on Lazada for the Nubia M2 was 4,790 baht.  Here the two phones as compared on Kimovil.

The Nubia M2 has a Super AMOLED screen, memory of 4/64, a 16 MP selfie, and an Antutu score of 62,000.
The Asus has an IPS screen, memory of 3/32, a 8 MP selfie, and an Antutu score of 43,000.

The Nubia is thinner, narrower and lighter, and has Gorilla Glass and LED notification light which the Asus does not have.  The Nubia charges via USB type C.  The Nubia has a 13 MP monochrome secondary rear camera the Asus has a secondary 5 MP depth sensor.  The Nubia M2 has been reviewed on many sites with reviewer's noting the loud and clear audio output.

Yes; I am comparing a 4,790 baht phone with a 3,990 baht phone.  To me, the 800 baht extra for the Nubia M2 gets someone a really better phone.

But hey, I like you guys.  Please visit the Affordable Smartphone Topic and bring it there as well.

Thinner and lighter really doesnt mean much if you use a case. 

Specs are wrong, (I believe you are comparing the 'Max' version and not the 'Max Pro')

Asus Zenfone 4 Max Pro has 16MP front and 16MP back, with the back having 2 lenses, normal and wide angle.

P_20180814_191950.jpg

On 8/14/2018 at 4:25 PM, daocat555 said:

If you had a problem with this Nubia, how would you go about getting it fixed?

And you may want to compare the newer models of Asus like the zb570tl or zb602kl

On 8/14/2018 at 1:49 PM, Elkski said:

I have concerns about getting a phone for a friend in Thailand when there isn't a place for this person to go to if they have issues with phone or just how to get her old apps and contact list transferred over.   I maybe able to figure it out but not everyone can or would want to  figure this out.   I think this is overlooked by some of you phone geeks. 

If you use the same google account when upgrading phones, you can just do a restore when you login to the new phone for the first time.  Backups are automated now (unless you opt out).  Some apps may have to be downloaded again.  

Archived