Thai Cabinet Green-Lights Medical Weed – Opium And Kratom, Too

webfact

Cabinet Green-Lights Medical Weed – Opium And Kratom, Too

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

201701231409591-20070327123839-696x463.j

Border patrol police show off their haul of confiscated marijuana Jan. 23, 2017, in Nakhon Phanom province.

BANGKOK — The first ever bill to allow limited use of cannabis for medical purposes was approved by the interim cabinet Tuesday.

More than just cannabis, the bill would decriminalize consumption of other Class 5 narcotics including hemp, kratom and opium to enable medical research to be conducted – a necessary step toward broader availability for therapeutic uses.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/05/16/cabinet-green-lights-medical-weed-opium-and-kratom-too/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-16

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

I smell a lot of unusual wealth already...

"Under military rule, Thailand has made surprising strides toward drug decriminalization after a member of the ruling junta, acting as justice minister, declared the war on drugs a failure and embraced progressive attitudes toward implementing common-sense drug laws."  If the average Thai farmer benefits, then who can complain?  Just in time for the election. 

2 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

I smell a lot of unusual wealth already...

For sure! New crops for farmers trying to scratch out a living and a superabundance of already filthy rich middle men; not forgetting those civil servants in uniform and peaked caps and those in white shirts and ties.

The assumption is that marijuana is also on the list of decriminalised substances, but in LOS one can't be sure: It is also possible that the use of medical marijuana would be permissible, but recreational use not decriminalised (many fines/shakedowns for tourists suddenly lighting up in the bar) and that Krathom (which is already legal in most of the world) gets decriminalised for personal use.

Can't be long and the nations No.1 folklorist will write a heroic movie script about successful weed farmers. However, I doubt it will be entertaining, as long as his Cheech & Chong characters wear uniforms like the guys in the photo.

while i am pleased at these apparent steps towards liberalization of the drug laws, the cynic in me says someone stands to make a lot of money on medical marijuana, and it isnt going to be the people growing it now.

Can't help but feel the facts have been glossed over for the sake of a headline. Don't expect to be smokin the herb anytime soon. This bill has decriminalised them FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH.

Quote:

"If passed by the interim assembly, the new law would authorize the Narcotics Control Board to set up plantations for growing and conducting experiments, Lt. Gen. Sansern added."

I.E. in laboratories to determine what use they can make of them and what impact they may have. Expect such studies to be completed long before any change in the gen pop usage is considered. Maybe a generation or two would be my guess.

Archived