Minimum Salary as a Degree NES in Bangkok, Working Conditions

If you had a degree + NES but very limited experience/no tefl/tesol certificate in Bangkok ,what would you take as a minimum salary?

Also could any teachers speak from experience....

-How likely is it to find primary/secondary schools in Bangkok with AC + Whiteboards. 

The AC is not such a big of an issue but writing with chalk/on a chalk board all day would get irritating. I guess a way to manage that is to bring in your own portable whiteboard?

If you have limited experience and haven't been trained in EFL classroom skills, you are likely to become disillusioned quickly with teaching. You might call it a day after a few weeks or find a way to get through each day and spend your free time telling other foreigners how Thailand doesn't value you nor does it behave predictably in accordance with your home country conditioning.

Expect to earn at least 40k plus as a nes with a degree in BKK.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Loaded,

Do you know how common it is to find whiteboards (Not even electronic but just normal) in bangkok schools?  Or are blackboards with chalk the most common things to find in bangkok classrooms

Writing things out on a blackboard with chalk seems to be 2 x as much effort, Takes twice as long to write things out and The writing isn't going to look as clear as it would with a marker , 

WBs are very common. You might come across BBs in poorer government/tessabhan schools but they are unlikely to pay farang salaries anyway.

There's lots of work and you will feel find work quickly and easily. The first exceptions are for too many tattoos, scruffy appearance and displays of negative emotions.

Don't react and roll with things is the key to being happy with your job here.

WBs are very common. You might come across BBs in poorer government/tessabhan schools but they are unlikely to pay farang salaries anyway.

There's lots of work and you will feel find work quickly and easily. The first exceptions are for too many tattoos, scruffy appearance and displays of negative emotions.

Don't react and roll with things is the key to being happy with your job here.

Couple of typos above - bloody 'smart' phones auto correcting

Thank you for the reply, I recently started at a school in central bangkok and only 1 building/6 buildings had whiteboard/projector so I had to refuse the job offer

The other 5 buildings/classrooms had blackboards (16/20 lessons would be writing with chalk) so I had to refuse the job offer. Writing on chalkboard is 2x as diffucult,2x messy, 2x harder for the school children to read

8 minutes ago, hydraides said:

Thank you for the reply, I recently started at a school in central bangkok and only 1 building/6 buildings had whiteboard/projector so I had to refuse the job offer

The other 5 buildings/classrooms had blackboards (16/20 lessons would be writing with chalk) so I had to refuse the job offer. Writing on chalkboard is 2x as diffucult,2x messy, 2x harder for the school children to read

i guess we all need to draw the line somewhere......

I would say depending on what you are bringing to the game you will start at 30-38k. Agencies, 30-36k with no benefits and no time off and treated as as a teaching borg. You will never be wanted more than a warm body or respected in any and I mean any agency. Agencies are about money, not education. The worst ones are those to profess they are educators or provide such services which is an utter joke. New teachers without training on crap contracts - what sort of premium educational service is being provided? None. So run from those, you'll just be used to perpetuate the propaganda.

This time of year, schools are desperate for teachers, especially good ones. A green teacher could make 38-42??? But would also depend on hours and duties. For the right teacher or just dumb ass luck 38-48k.

As for electronic boards, I've only seen two in two different schools. Neither in the standard classroom and not for daily use. Learn to utilize an LCD projector.

Chalk is preferable to whiteboards imo. Nothing wrong with chalk, whiteboards are no technological advancement, just messy and expensive - your answer is above you.

Chalk is preferable to whiteboards imo. Nothing wrong with chalk, whiteboards are no technological advancement, just messy and expensive - your answer is above you.

Really I find writing on a blackboard with chalk 2x as much effort and twice as hard for the students to read. It is a big factor for me

. Maybe you don't mind somuch

7 hours ago, hydraides said:

Really I find writing on a blackboard with chalk 2x as much effort and twice as hard for the students to read. It is a big factor for me

. Maybe you don't mind somuch

I don't mind at all. Chalk is always about. Administrators don't whine about buying chalk. No foreign teacher ever had to pay for chalk.

Judging by my kids ONET, scores, awards, scholarships and university admissions kids at my school (40 to a class, 6 rows deep) apparently have no issue seeing the board, but admittedly used by all teachers in conjunction with LCD projector.

Almost every school I've ever worked at had whiteboards. I'd even expect them over chalk in better Bangkok schools. Some schools still use chalk, maybe even out of tradition in older, better public schools - usually the boards are in fine if not great shape.

Many schools force you to buy your own markers. Possibly issuing you a few per term. No joke. At 10b each and no LCD, that becomes a serious expense.

7 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

<snipped>

Almost every school I've ever worked at had whiteboards. I'd even expect them over chalk in better Bangkok schools. Some schools still use chalk, maybe even out of tradition in older, better public schools - usually the boards are in fine if not great shape.

Many schools force you to buy your own markers. Possibly issuing you a few per term. No joke. At 10b each and no LCD, that becomes a serious expense.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but many years ago, when I first started teaching, we were told we had to buy our own chalk, which many teachers did.   Then we were told, after some had bought colored chalk, that we could only use white chalk!

Needless to say the same school would not buy markers, but by that time, they had decided to issue a few pieces of chalk to each teacher.   The boards were 1/2 whiteboard and 1/2 chalkboard.  

3 hours ago, Scott said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but many years ago, when I first started teaching, we were told we had to buy our own chalk, which many teachers did.   Then we were told, after some had bought colored chalk, that we could only use white chalk!

Needless to say the same school would not buy markers, but by that time, they had decided to issue a few pieces of chalk to each teacher.   The boards were 1/2 whiteboard and 1/2 chalkboard.  

Lol. Bubble is not burst, but that's pathetic. At least the chalk packet was ten baht and lasted a month not a marker that lasts a week, maybe.

I would have quit that day on principle. I'm sure the director had a flash car though.

14 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Lol. Bubble is not burst, but that's pathetic. At least the chalk packet was ten baht and lasted a month not a marker that lasts a week, maybe.

I would have quit that day on principle. I'm sure the director had a flash car though.

Actually, at the time she had no car, but the family was far from poor.   It didn't quite seem like the kind of thing that was worth quitting over.  

Archived