Court decides: AirBnB illegal in Thailand for daily and weekly rental

webfact

9 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

What if I say the people staying in my condo are my friends and they aren't paying me. I highly doubt the RTP have the nous to trace transactions through AirBnb. 

Yeah, but half your guests will be half your age and straight out of Changsha, not speaking a word of English.

Good luck flipping between Google Translate and WeChat to explain they didn't book on AirBnB but are old friends.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RichardL said:

Are the sort of people who'd normally book into those large and expensive hotels going to be people who use AirBnB?

No. I have never seen people dragging their luggage for hundreds of yards up the soi coz they are too cheap to get a taxi from the airport outside of high end hotels, only outside condo buildings - that is a dead giveaway of a AirBnB renter BTW. I can tell which sopis have airBnB rentals just by seeing the luggage haulers.

Seems we've already been through this with Air BnB 3 or 4 years ago. Must be time for another skit in the court room to remind people or something. Not that it matters, probably will be ignored and go unenforced till next time or just be available for anyone who needs a reason to do a crackdown.

7 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Airbnb is easy to crack upon. Door to door, just check who's listed in TM30. A simple mobile app to immigration db will do.

Door to door, like razzia style in every condo building, checking papers?  That'll be fun for everyone.   If they're even home.  The good thing about tourists is that they're mostly out, doing touristy stuff. 

But you mean check who was recently registered for TM30 and then check those units?  I guess that's doable.. and the TM30 information will also show visa type so if that's a visa-free entry or tourist visa then they should catch quite a few, yes.

(And in case someone wonders, yes, many hosts have a very good relation with the condo reception people and pay them some money to take care of handling keys, providing basic information like where to do laundry and where the pool is, and take care of TM30 registration.  They'll just pay reception 300-500 Baht or so per time to keep them very happy. That's easily 600-1000 Baht a week shopping money for them for just one unit, and they could do it for multiple units.)

30 minutes ago, RichardL said:

Are the sort of people who'd normally book into those large and expensive hotels going to be people who use AirBnB?

Sometimes, although usually the reason for using AirBnB is that a family or group of friends gets a whole house privately to themselves, with a kitchen, etc.   But yes it does happen that people who book an AirBnB but need another day when it's not available then subsequently check into the Meridien or another nice hotel.  It's not usually a money thing, unless at the very low-end. 

Although I will say that hosts who go low in their rates and amenities will very often get more price conscious guests, even a group of backpackers who don't even know each other all that well but just met up on an island or wherever and then go 'hey let's get an AirBnB together and split the cost'.   It's best to stay above that level, it's WAY better hosting a middle class family from China than a group of Farang backpackers. 

26 minutes ago, mokwit said:

No. I have never seen people dragging their luggage for hundreds of yards up the soi coz they are too cheap to get a taxi from the airport outside of high end hotels, only outside condo buildings - that is a dead giveaway of a AirBnB renter BTW. I can tell which sopis have airBnB rentals just by seeing the luggage haulers.

You find cheapness everywhere. I very often wheel luggage way deep into sois of Sukhumvit to some hotel there.  And hosts who do it right will just offer to pick up guests somewhere convenient. Above and beyond and all that, plus you get to tell them stuff on the drive over and sell trips, tours and activities.

2 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Door to door, like razzia style in every condo building, checking papers?  That'll be fun for everyone.   If they're even home.  The good thing about tourists is that they're mostly out, doing touristy stuff. 

Yeah with a Tommy gun handy, G-man style. That'd scare them off .. or maybe not, used to that in their countries already.

17 hours ago, Maestro said:

The official-looking Thai document shown in the OP does not seem to be the actual court decision. Can anybody figure out what government agency or office issued it and to whom it is addressed?

I think I have found the answer to my own questions. The Thai document shown in the OP was issued by the Hua Hin District Office and apparently sent to the Juristic Person Management of all condominium buildings in that district.

Information source: https://mgronline.com/onlinesection/detail/9610000046484

I'm really wanting to know how I can report someone who is an AirBnB/Agoda/Booking.com/etc. illegal hotel renter.

This person is an incredible nuisance and a terrible neighbor. He's renting out a house for short stays mostly to crazy partying Russians. He doesn't own the house. He has zero licences. He pays zero Thai taxes, much less hotel taxes. He does not report any of his guests to immigration. He has no work permit. He's on a tourist visa. He speaks zero Thai. The money all goes into his bank account but it's marketed in the name of his Thai gf.

I am stuck in this place dealing with this terrible noise and behavior. I pay 35k per month for my place and have to deal with this crap while he rents out for 10k per day. 

18 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

I'm really wanting to know how I can report someone who is an AirBnB/Agoda/Booking.com/etc. illegal hotel renter.

This person is an incredible nuisance and a terrible neighbor. He's renting out a house for short stays mostly to crazy partying Russians. He doesn't own the house. He has zero licences. He pays zero Thai taxes, much less hotel taxes. He does not report any of his guests to immigration. He has no work permit. He's on a tourist visa. He speaks zero Thai. The money all goes into his bank account but it's marketed in the name of his Thai gf.

I am stuck in this place dealing with this terrible noise and behavior. I pay 35k per month for my place and have to deal with this crap while he rents out for 10k per day. 

If you are paying 35000 a month, you are obviously not short of money yourself. I am sure you are in a good position to complain to the relevant moo bahn authorities or slip the police a brown envelope to expedite action regarding your concerns. You are obviously quite friendly with your neighbour or you would not know the intimate details of his financial arrangements. Maybe warn him of your intentions and point out to him the risks he faces in the current anti airbnb climate. 

Anyway now that airbnb is public enemy number 1, you have the perfect opportunity to call for action over the disturbances. Interestingly, airbnb is perfectly legal in the more affluent countries, such as Australia, which have much tighter regulations regarding noise, taxes, sub-letting etc. It is kind of strange that less regulated and wealthy countries such as Thailand choose to clamp down on practices that seem perfectly acceptable in Australia, Europe and America. 

3 minutes ago, diddygq said:

You tard. The condo lists 6 people maximum as it's extremely spacious. 4 people (2 couples) with 2 rooms/king size beds. The living room has two fold out sofas. I said sometimes there are 5 of us but most the time 4. Regardless, it doesn't matter. You are out of touch and way out of date. You are definitely some old geezer who thinks his way is the only way and right way. So many of you here in Thailand!

Uh, oh.  Hit a nerve.  Maybe just a bit too much trying to justifying something that you know both isn't legal and really isn't right, as well.   Nice try but it's not just old geezers who don't want an illegal group of vacationers like yours invading their place of residence.  As I said before, residence, not hotel.  And, its not just Thailand.

...does the headline accurately reflect the content....???

....I only read mention of 3 specific cases...

...saw no mention of nationality either...

...curious to know if this is not another case where those charged are foreigners only...???

They are so scared of anything that modernizes and give people more choice etc. Mafia country that is rotten to the core and still keeps it's "Teflon Thailand" rep through a constant national spouting of BS. They do so well from beguiled and uniformed tourists that have no idea, or those who only come for the cheap beer, sex and lifestyle. And the puritanical morons in charge paradoxically keep tightening the screw on foreigners as if they can have their cake and eat it. This country has gone way down hill in the last 4 tears. 

Drown in your Chinese and Indian tourists policy....what a disgusting outcome.

7 minutes ago, newnative said:

Uh, oh.  Hit a nerve.  Maybe just a bit too much trying to justifying something that you know both isn't legal and really isn't right, as well.   Nice try but it's not just old geezers who don't want an illegal group of vacationers like yours invading their place of residence.  As I said before, residence, not hotel.  And, its not just Thailand.

unnamed.gif

16 minutes ago, Spock said:

Interestingly, airbnb is perfectly legal in the more affluent countries, such as Australia, which have much tighter regulations regarding noise, taxes, sub-letting etc. It is kind of strange that less regulated and wealthy countries such as Thailand choose to clamp down on practices that seem perfectly acceptable in Australia, Europe and America. 

Australian airbnb's are not likely filled with skint backpackers, hordes of Indians, spitting Chinese or drunk Russians.

13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Australian airbnb's are not likely filled with skint backpackers, hordes of Indians, spitting Chinese or drunk Russians.

They are often full of noisy young folk partying. But mostly, as I imagine with Thailand, they largely cater to ordinary folk looking for cheaper and more informal short term accommodation.

8 minutes ago, Spock said:

They are often full of noisy young folk partying. But mostly, as I imagine with Thailand, they largely cater to ordinary folk looking for cheaper and more informal short term accommodation.

NO.

'Australian airbnb's are not likely filled with skint backpackers, hordes of Indians, spitting Chinese or drunk Russians.'

He is describing AirBnB types perfectly. The kind of people who use the swimming pool showers as urinals etc

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Again,  just clueless blah blah blah from an out of date / out of touch geezer. The other people are Thai and my fiance just laughed about it being "illegal". Most everything in this country is illegal nowadays. Do you see anything being done? I'll be using AirBnB in the city of Hua Hin itself where they ruled it illegal. Let's see if anything is done about it! Now go ahead and continue to moan and moan in every other topic. 

On 5/16/2018 at 2:52 PM, Briggsy said:

I thought Thailand's legal system did not use precedents. Therefore another court could rule completely differently and it would make no difference. Indeed the same court could rule differently with another Air BnB landlord.

Or even a couple of hours later :-)

1 hour ago, diddygq said:

Again,  just clueless blah blah blah from an out of date / out of touch geezer. The other people are Thai and my fiance just laughed about it being "illegal". Most everything in this country is illegal nowadays. Do you see anything being done? I'll be using AirBnB in the city of Hua Hin itself where they ruled it illegal. Let's see if anything is done about it! Now go ahead and continue to moan and moan in every other topic. 

More attempts at justification.   If you really weren't bothered by breaking the law I doubt you'd be posting these lame excuses.   

Punishing AIRBNB for being the first and most successful and notorious agency in a field of over 30[count them] is unfair and ludicrous. I'm no fan[or investor of AIRBNB but it will just move the goal posts and not solve the problem.

6 hours ago, mokwit said:

That's BS.  I'm a luggage hauler too.  Typically takes me a bit under an hour from the airport to my condo, which I'll take over 45-90 minutes in a taxi with a roof so low I have to sit at a 60-degree angle.

On 2018-05-16 at 9:49 AM, shady86 said:

How can they regulate this? Airbnb is not located in Thailand and acting as a middle man. There is no money transaction done between owner and tenant too.

The answer is because they can, and this is Thailand. 

The last word is not spoken - AirBnB will be the planet's biggest hotel chain without properties, Grab/Uber will be the planet's biggest taxi enterprise without own vehicles. 

Irrespective of what Khon Thai thinks - that's the way it is. 

AirBnB might consider blocking all bookings of Thai nationals worldwide - would build up some interest on the other side of the fence as some of those pathetic warmongers fighting AirBnB in their own condominiums are the very same ones using AirBnB when travelling to the world of the Alien - just thinking out loud! 

Tit for tat - would work wonders, trust me and would be perfectly legal too! 

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

The last word is not spoken - AirBnB will be the planet's biggest hotel chain without properties, Grab/Uber will be the planet's biggest taxi enterprise without own vehicles. 

Irrespective of what Khon Thai thinks - that's the way it is. 

AirBnB might consider blocking all bookings of Thai nationals worldwide - would build up some interest on the other side of the fence as some of those pathetic warmongers fighting AirBnB in their own condominiums are the very same ones using AirBnB when travelling to the world of the Alien - just thinking out loud! 

Tit for tat - would work wonders, trust me and would be perfectly legal too! 

From your post: "Airbnb will be the planet's biggest hotel chain..."  Well, there's the problem in a nutshell.   Condos are not hotels.  Condos are residences.  Condos are homes where residents live in close proximity.  Often called condominium residences.  Hotels are hotels.  Hotels are not condominiums.  Different name, different purpose, different regulations.  Not the same thing at all.  Hence, the rules and laws prohibiting short-term rentals in condominiums.

Archived