BANGKOK 20 March 2019 22:05
webfact

Court decides: AirBnB illegal in Thailand for daily and weekly rental

10 hours ago, madmen said:

It has nothing to do with air bnb directly. its just a platform that can set up to rent  monthly nightly or yearly or what ever so they are doing nothing wrong at all......

.....Air bnb is a global Juggernaut that is unstoppable.

Didn't they say that about Napster?

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Agreed. AirBnB is a curse that destroys community life for residents. Good for Thailand in banning it.

What community life?

with airbnb tenants atleast they stay just temporarily. if ur neighbor is a psychopath aggressive maniac deranged drunk condo owner then u be begging for airbnb tenants to enlighten ur day.

15 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?  I have a detached house and don't want to rent out at the moment but that could change in the future. There's also a hell of a lot of villas still advertised to rent by the day/week in places like Samui/Phuket.

only need hotel license if you have more than 5 rooms..... Thai law says owner has the right to profit from his/her investment, thus contradiction with the previous judgment in Pattaya, if AirBnB is illegal why  Thailand doesn't block it from operating here, some countries in Europe don't allow AirBnB to operate there but Thailand still allow it to run daily business, why? money is a big issue

43 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Abnb is such a very small piece of the online short term rental business.

Booking. Com

Agoda

Any many many of the other online booking formats are embracing short term rentals.

I think it is all out of control and not properly enforced.

The worst place I have seen in the country is The Base Condo Pattaya.

It was great for awhile but I moved out several months ago. 100's of people everyday the place has turned into a busy hotel.

I agree with others.

It is mostly a disaster of people with holiday mindsets disrespectful, loud and obnoxious.

Yes.  One only needs to look at how The Base was when it first opened and compare it to what it has become.  So sad--and the result of massive, unchecked illegal daily rentals.  Owners don't want to live in such a place and neither do long-term renters, such as yourself.  Welcome to The Base Hotel.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes.  One only needs to look at how The Base was when it first opened and compare it to what it has become.  So sad--and the result of massive, unchecked illegal daily rentals.  Owners don't want to live in such a place and neither do long-term renters, such as yourself.  Welcome to The Base Hotel.

Was the same at View Talay 6.  I moved out in 2013, it used to be a great place to live before they turned it into a hotel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Abnb is such a very small piece of the online short term rental business.

Booking. Com

Agoda

Any many many of the other online booking formats are embracing short term rentals.

I think it is all out of control and not properly enforced.

The worst place I have seen in the country is The Base Condo Pattaya.

It was great for awhile but I moved out several months ago. 100's of people everyday the place has turned into a busy hotel.

I agree with others.

It is mostly a disaster of people with holiday mindsets disrespectful, loud and obnoxious.

Hey if u could have mastered Chinese or the locale Indian dialect u could have fitted in better with the Base crowd. 

Still no clearer on whether renting a detached house out is illegal or not.

Whilst I have some sympathy for someone living in a condo block where noisy tenants cause disruption, surely that can be the case with longer term tenants too?  I have a guy near me who loves playing super loud, heavy bass, Thai music in the early morning - sometimes as early as 7am.

Interesting to see the anti-landord lobby raising its head here too - any other business is OK but rent property out for a living and you're a demon.  Every business is in it for the money - its what makes the world go round.

Surely there is a way of dealing with bad tenants - other than banning short term rental?  I have a couple of houses in the UK that I rent out - the neighbours know my number and if there was a problem, all they would have to do is call me and I'd sort it.  Absentee landlords must have some sort of management in place or they couldn't hand over and receive keys, carry out cleaning and maintenance etc. That management could also be responsible for sorting disruptive tenants.

This to me, is a case of the many spoiling things for the few. When I stay away I often rent a condo or house, I prefer it and its often a better option for families.  Making the landlord responsible for the peaceful running of the unit is surely better than an outright ban? Those who fail to do so could be banned for a term - that would make them live up to their responsibilities.

Given the other things they put up with, I'm not so sure the Thai government is really so interested in preventing short term rentals.  I have a mate who lives in Bangkok close to a tour bus depot, he is often woken at stupid o'clock by these buses leaving and playing hideously noisy music - I'm sure you've all heard them passing you on the street. He's complained several times but nothing has been done. I suspect pressure from the hotel industry is far more likely to be the reason that short term rentals were banned. The decision was most likely made on the golf course, rather than the courtroom.

The world continuosly changes - tourism is no exception but yet again Thailand goes against the trend - the rest of the world is crazy isn't it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Whilst I have some sympathy for someone living in a condo block where noisy tenants cause disruption, surely that can be the case with longer term tenants too?  I have a guy near me who loves playing super loud, heavy bass, Thai music in the early morning - sometimes as early as 7am.

Your building has management and security. It is their job to stop nuisances like that.

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Interesting to see the anti-landord lobby raising its head here too - any other business is OK but rent property out for a living and you're a demon.  Every business is in it for the money - its what makes the world go round.

I have no problem with any business operating in the right place. But a condo building is NOT the right place for a hotel or apartment business. Hotels and apartments are the right places for those businesses, and that's why they exist.

I would complain just as much if a car workshop or a restaurant opened up in my condo building: they dont belong there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Your building has management and security. It is their job to stop nuisances like that.

My 'building' is a detached house - the management and security would be me or my manager if I was letting it out.

Edited by KhaoYai

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have no problem with any business operating in the right place. But a condo building is NOT the right place for a hotel or apartment business. Hotels and apartments are the right places for those businesses, and that's why they exist.

Are you saying that its legal to rent an apartment out short term?  How are you defining 'apartment'?  I'm pretty sure the court ruling has no distinction between either (if there is one).  I'm trying to establish whether or not the ruling applies to detatched houses.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

My 'building' is a detached house - the management and security would be me or my manager if I was letting it out.

I see. I was replying to your comment about condo buildings.

Your local public health department may be able to do something about this, or your local head man in a village. Unfortunately loud noise from neighbours is widely known to be a potential hazard in Thai houses, which is one reason why I would never buy one.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Are you saying that its legal to rent an apartment out short term?  How are you defining 'apartment'? 

Apartment buildings are designed to be rented out (fairly) short-term. Condos most definitely are not. Condos are designed to be residential. This is why they are sold individually.

The Hotel Act does apply to apartments also in as much as nightly rentals are not allowed without registration and compliance with safety laws.

The difference between a condo and an apartment is that each condo unit has a chanote whereas an apartment building normally only has only one chanote and one owner.

• Like 1