Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

What are the Thai university degrees that will be accepted in other countries?


Recommended Posts

I am planning to study an undergraduate program here in Thailand and then pursue another degree in another country. What universities will other countries like the USA recognize? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MunkyBoogar said:

A better question is, What do you want to study?

 

Choosing a degree just because it is recognized internationally does not necessarily lead to a good career.

I am going to study Biomedical Engineering and I am planning to either further my study in Masters or go to medical school. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 5/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, MunkyBoogar said:

As long as you are attending an accredited (recognized) establishment you shouldn't have any problems.

Not necessarily so. Entry requirements to a specific Uni post-grad course and in particular medical school should be checked out prior to undertaking the undergrad course. If the uni where you are hoping to do the undergrad course has some record of successful applications post-graduation that will help, but their management of this might be scratchy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 2:49 AM, Ailah said:

I am going to study Biomedical Engineering and I am planning to either further my study in Masters or go to medical school. 

I worked for a professor of chemistry in the Uk for many years (Professor  David  Ollis) he had a  Thai student, reckoned he was the brightest person he'd ever met.

Good  luck with your career Im sure both  will see you well, wish Id  been able  enough to do something like that, although Uni was only for a few  folks  when i left school and getting an "A" in any subject was a  real big deal..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This may not be the answer you want, but in general, in the real world most Thai degrees aren't worth the paper they are written on outside of Thailand.

Ask yourself why so many Thai's with the financial resources choose to go to college in the US or Europe?

A friend of mine who is currently a professor in the veterinary Dept at KKU , was pretty blunt about this. He told me point blank had he not gone to the US for higher education, basically he would have condemned himself to a Thailand only occupation.

In my last company we had a lot of Philippino employees, and I would suggest their degrees are about as well regarded as Thai universities. Whereas the Indians and Chinese were managers, software, engineering developers, the Philippino's worked at data entry and admins.

Far too many generalisations. What one actually needs to know is that for example all UK uni admissions offices will have a copy of a book containing international equivalence in entry requirements which can be referred to. If the prospective student meets those requirements plus has the IELTS certificate to standard set, then they will be seriously considered for admission, subject of course to quality of supporting statement and reference. Anybody with Thai kids considering overseas study please note. There are also ways around the IELTS barrier or at least used to be....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2018 at 3:58 AM, SheungWan said:

Not necessarily so. Entry requirements to a specific Uni post-grad course and in particular medical school should be checked out prior to undertaking the undergrad course. If the uni where you are hoping to do the undergrad course has some record of successful applications post-graduation that will help, but their management of this might be scratchy.

Agree, do some research to establish what unis in US, Europe, etc., will accept an undergrad degree from Thailand and check what Thai unis they accept / prefer.

 

Just to complicate the issue there are many unis abroad who have exchange arrangements with many Thai unis. 

 

Just one example last year one of my TU Thai students finished his BBA with a good GPA, he applied to several unis in UK and in Sth. Korea to do his MBA. He got accepted by 2 highly credible unis in the UK and 2 in Sth. Korea.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 2:49 AM, Ailah said:

I am going to study Biomedical Engineering and I am planning to either further my study in Masters or go to medical school. 

dont listen to them, 

all top 10 on QS list are accepted, 

problem is that international programs in thailand are ridiculously expensive  ? why would you want to spend so much money?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Generally if you are going to study an MA or MSc abroad then depending or your GPA from here and your IELTS / TOEFL (if you need it) then unless it is a ridiculously high demand course you will easily get on. 

 

My only experience is UK based, but given the fees that international students pay they aren't turning people away. My wife had an average GPA from here and a high IELTS score and was easily accepted onto all of the MSc courses she applied for in England. 

 

Universities are all about the money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Generally if you are going to study an MA or MSc abroad then depending or your GPA from here and your IELTS / TOEFL (if you need it) then unless it is a ridiculously high demand course you will easily get on. 

My only experience is UK based, but given the fees that international students pay they aren't turning people away. My wife had an average GPA from here and a high IELTS score and was easily accepted onto all of the MSc courses she applied for in England. 

Universities are all about the money. 

The money is important but it doesn't give a free pass round all obstacles for all courses at all universities. It was the high IELTS score which opened the doors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Thai universities are not well regarded but good students from the best universities can make the jump to graduate school. I'd say Chulalongkorn, Thammasat, Mahidol and top five medical schools. No idea about KMUTT.

 

Its generally best to do undergrad here for the professions and then grad school abroad. Medicine, Engineering, Law...areas a person would need a professional license.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Meeting prerequisites, a student graduating from even a modest university can definitely go abroad for further study from any reasonably decent Thai university.

 

Likelihood of scholarship IMO is nill.

 

They are regarded more highly than Filipino degrees. Philippines has nothing.

 

In USA they will need TOEFL although some schools may accept IELTS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

As a professor who has worked at a few thai universities I will give you the same advice as I give the students

once I have pointed out thai wages for graduates

and other ways to make money

why on earth would you do such a thing?

 

I can only guess you want a visa to stay here , if you are interested in education some very good free online courses which can give you a qualification for a price such as mit online, lots and lots of free online courses.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I don't agree.

 

In professional qualifications the Phillipines has it all over Thailand.

 

Most Thai degrees are worth a rotten slice of durian.

 

Amyway if you fork up the money for such a scheme than they will merely come home and feed chickems..

 

Never saw a Thai with a professional degree in my home country in my life,.

 

I have seen South Koreans,Chinese,Malaysians and Indians..etc

 

But from the hub of the intellectual and cultural universe-Thailand,Myanmar,Laos and Cambodia nothing but prostitutes and bottle washers.

https://www.webometrics.info/en/Asia_Pacifico/South East Asia

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Thai Engineers are unemployable anywhere outside of Thailand.

 

As are Thai nurses and Thai medical technicians of all disciplines.

 

Yet if you are South Korean,from the Philippines,Malaysian or Indian you will get paid professional employment in my country.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2018 at 11:44 AM, GinBoy2 said:


In my last company we had a lot of Philippino employees, and I would suggest their degrees are about as well regarded as Thai universities. Whereas the Indians and Chinese were managers, software, engineering developers, the Philippino's worked at data entry and admins.
 

 

So you bag the educational standards of an entire nation and yet you can't correctly spell the name of those people - in your own native language.

 

Not a good look really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, MunkyBoogar said:

As long as you are attending an accredited (recognized) establishment you shouldn't have any problems.

There are many Thai universities who have two-way exchange agreements (both bachelor and masters level) with very credible universities abroad, Germany, France, Sth. korea to name a few.

 

None of these credible universities from abroad would enter such agreements unless they were well satisfied with the 'quality' in the university abroad (in Thailand).

 

I've been on several committees from Thai unis tasked to meet the representatives (academic and admin.) from the unis. abroad (both here in Thailand and in the other country involved) and take their questions / discuss their stated quality requirements etc. 

 

Never once have the visiting committee members raised any doubts. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I worked in grad school admissions at a top 10 university in the U.S.  We accepted undergrad degrees from all over the world as long as they were from accredited institutions and had good GPAs. It's much easier to have a 4-5 year degreed if you want to go to school in the US. One of our faculty got his MBA at Chula and later went on to get his PHD in the US. 

 

If you want to go to school in the UK, the requirements are structurally different, but you can speak to overseas reps from schools to help navigate the process. Across the Pond is a good company to use to pursue higher ed in the UK.

 

So yes, degrees from Thai schools are recognized. Make sure to do the research and speak to alumni from that school to find out who went abroad after graduation to help you plan your path.  

 

Good luck.

Edited by MaureenTravels
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the Companies that I worked for would have accepted Thai University or post graduate qualifications as comparable to those from western Nationally registered and authorised universities. The best that can be said is that they compare with online degrees from those, mainly US Universities, that advertise their "virtual institutions" as credible educational institutions. They may gain a person entry to a western first degree course, but even that is debatable for some subjects. In my airline work with an Asian carrier, we would not accept Thai registered and trained aircrew, only those holding western ATPL, frozen or active, usually together with a suitable rating, even got considered.      

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 7:07 PM, Pilotman said:

None of the Companies that I worked for would have accepted Thai University or post graduate qualifications as comparable to those from western Nationally registered and authorised universities. The best that can be said is that they compare with online degrees from those, mainly US Universities, that advertise their "virtual institutions" as credible educational institutions. They may gain a person entry to a western first degree course, but even that is debatable for some subjects. In my airline work with an Asian carrier, we would not accept Thai registered and trained aircrew, only those holding western ATPL, frozen or active, usually together with a suitable rating, even got considered.      

2 milion baht is ATPL in Bangkok

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 10:09 PM, LolaS said:

2 milion baht is ATPL in Bangkok

I take it that you are quoting cost of training?  If so, that is cheap in comparison to the UK and US where the training cost up to frozen ATPL with IR can top the equivalent of 4 million Baht. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 5:20 AM, JimmyTheMook said:

Thai Engineers are unemployable anywhere outside of Thailand.

 

My brother in law is a graduate of King Mongkut University of Technology with a degree in electrical engineering. He received futher traing from Intel in the states and has worked for semiconcuctor producers in both Taiwan and Singapore. He's one of the most genius men I've ever met. Kind of a nerd though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...