What are the Thai university degrees that will be accepted in other countries?

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, GinBoy2 said:

This may not be the answer you want, but in general, in the real world most Thai degrees aren't worth the paper they are written on outside of Thailand.

Ask yourself why so many Thai's with the financial resources choose to go to college in the US or Europe?

A friend of mine who is currently a professor in the veterinary Dept at KKU , was pretty blunt about this. He told me point blank had he not gone to the US for higher education, basically he would have condemned himself to a Thailand only occupation.

In my last company we had a lot of Philippino employees, and I would suggest their degrees are about as well regarded as Thai universities. Whereas the Indians and Chinese were managers, software, engineering developers, the Philippino's worked at data entry and admins.

I know a lot of good Thai managers, software, engineering developers.

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2019 at 2:47 PM, Pilotman said:

I take it that you are quoting cost of training?  If so, that is cheap in comparison to the UK and US where the training cost up to frozen ATPL with IR can top the equivalent of 4 million Baht. 

per year. only rich and children of expats mixed marriage can afford it. not even all

A friend of mine tried to find a job for his spouse in Germany. She's an English teacher at a government school, with all these "qualifications" that are as useless as rotten fish sauce.

He could find two jobs, and one was being a waitress at an Autobahn ( highway) restaurant, the other position was at a hotel, but not in the management. It was in the bed & breakfast department. 

He's a professional English teacher back home in his country, then decided to come to Thailand to stay with his family.

He had a starting salary of 25,000 baht. It works both ways. 

• 11 months later...
On 7/29/2018 at 11:44 AM, GinBoy2 said:

This may not be the answer you want, but in general, in the real world most Thai degrees aren't worth the paper they are written on outside of Thailand.

Ask yourself why so many Thai's with the financial resources choose to go to college in the US or Europe?

A friend of mine who is currently a professor in the veterinary Dept at KKU , was pretty blunt about this. He told me point blank had he not gone to the US for higher education, basically he would have condemned himself to a Thailand only occupation.

In my last company we had a lot of Philippino employees, and I would suggest their degrees are about as well regarded as Thai universities. Whereas the Indians and Chinese were managers, software, engineering developers, the Philippino's worked at data entry and admins.

Many Thais with financial resources (rich) who are not successful at the university entrance exams go overseas to study. In the US they attend Jr College and hopefully transfer to a 4 year school. 

My wife went to a university here for her BA before going to England to study an MA. According to her the university admissions in England were more interested in what her IELTS score was than what her GPA was. 

I am guessing for post - graduate study a degree from Thailand is fine providing you've got a good enough GPA and the required IELTS score. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2018 at 11:44 AM, GinBoy2 said:

This may not be the answer you want, but in general, in the real world most Thai degrees aren't worth the paper they are written on outside of Thailand....

I disagree. Two of my classmates took their Thai degrees to graduate schools in foreign universities. One was the London School of Economics and the other went to Harvard University. While the degree was required, it wasn't the only thing universities want.

That's true with employment as well. Most of my western classmates went back to their countries and are happily employed thanks to their degree. Some even joined the US military. Many employers look at the whole individual and what they would bring to the organization and not just a piece of paper. 

The paper, from whatever country it comes from, gets you looked at. The rest is up to you.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 7:37 PM, richard10365 said:

I disagree. Two of my classmates took their Thai degrees to graduate schools in foreign universities. One was the London School of Economics and the other went to Harvard University. While the degree was required, it wasn't the only thing universities want.

That's true with employment as well. Most of my western classmates went back to their countries and are happily employed thanks to their degree. Some even joined the US military. Many employers look at the whole individual and what they would bring to the organization and not just a piece of paper. 

The paper, from whatever country it comes from, gets you looked at. The rest is up to you.

A job promotion is also 'just a piece of paper' but it depends on the work that you have done for that company.

Some degrees are much more difficult to get than others so they are not a 'piece of paper'. It depends on how well your have performed in your exams and projects.

Can you get a genuine 'piece of paper' from University of Oxford or Harvard University since you imply that it's so easy to get them? Note the word genuine.

Edited by EricTh