Eight Months Smoke Free!!!

Samui Bodoh

Hi All,

Yes, I have made it eight months without a cigarette. And yes, I am proud of myself. I was a smoker for about 35 years and if anyone is interested in my story, see the OP in the thread Six Months Smoke Free; I wrote about 15 paragraphs there and don't want to write it all again.

Statistically speaking, there are several members who are in the process of quitting; how are you doing? What are the challenges? What has been working? Any advice to those in an earlier stage or those who are thinking of quitting?

Also statistically speaking, there are several members who are thinking of quitting and are reading this post. What are your issues? Any questions for those (lots more than just me) who have already quit? What are you waiting for?

I found that posting on this forum (with the anonymity it provides) has been a great help for me. Perhaps it might help you?

Smokers and quitters; anything you want to talk about?

Cheers

40 days into non-smoking, after 53 years of 2 packs a day. I might well not have "made it" (so far - still somewhat pessimistic) if it had been with will power/cold turkey only. Tried that a number of times before, and failed miserably. This time around, I used Champix, apparently the latest and greatest smoke-stopper drug from Pfizer. While it seems to work quite well, the list of side effects is one of the longest I've ever seen, with an oversized warning re suicide risk at the very top of the bedsheet-sized leaflet. I'm not planning on any of that anytime soon, but I can definitely identify some of the side effects (in combination with raw nerves from simply stopping as such), and so can my girlfriend...

But hey, let's see how things look in another couple of weeks. The recommended duration of the Pfizer-induced trip is 12 weeks, but I might well stop the odd week earlier and see what happens (or doesn't happen, as it were).

Well done to you all, and good luck in the future, it is definitely worth it in the long run. I quit cold turkey in December 1994, and never regretted it. 

Actually, I still have cold turkey at Xmas, but that is another story....:whistling:

7 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

40 days into non-smoking, after 53 years of 2 packs a day. I might well not have "made it" (so far - still somewhat pessimistic) if it had been with will power/cold turkey only. Tried that a number of times before, and failed miserably. This time around, I used Champix, apparently the latest and greatest smoke-stopper drug from Pfizer. While it seems to work quite well, the list of side effects is one of the longest I've ever seen, with an oversized warning re suicide risk at the very top of the bedsheet-sized leaflet. I'm not planning on any of that anytime soon, but I can definitely identify some of the side effects (in combination with raw nerves from simply stopping as such), and so can my girlfriend...

But hey, let's see how things look in another couple of weeks. The recommended duration of the Pfizer-induced trip is 12 weeks, but I might well stop the odd week earlier and see what happens (or doesn't happen, as it were).

I tip my hat to you, Sir!

53 years? I had serious doubts that anyone could top my 35; live and learn...

I am going the 'cold turkey' method as I believe that it is best for me, but I firmly support anything that works. I have heard the name "Champix", but don't know anything else. Could I ask that you expand on your experiences with it for the benefit of any others who might need/use it? I know we can all 'Google' it, but I am a great believer in first-hand stories. What specifically does it do? What are the worst side-effects for you? How did you get it? Anyone else use it?

Again, my true and sincere congratulations! And keep it up!

Cheers

38 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

After 25+ years of 20 a day, I started on the other wonder drug, I forget the name, things were going well and about a week later contracted bronchitis, the hospital doctor asked me to stop the drugs and I did.

The week or 10 days was enough to break the cycle, along with the illness.

I have had the very occasional temporary relapse over the past 4 years, whilst away with the guys’ll bikes, they lasted the duration of the trip and I haven’t had a cigarette for the past year. 

Stick with it, It’s all a combination of ‘the right time’, sickness, wellbeing, money, they drugs, and determination. I look back now and wonder how and why I ever started, it’s a weird feeling. You may not have to go the whole course with the drugs, suck it and see.

Forty-six years ago, after being a heavy smoker for nearly thirty years, I quit on the advice of my doctor who said my lungs were in a pretty poor state and I was not going to live to a ripe old age.

It was wretchedly hard going for the first month, when I had to totally change my lifestyle to shake off the awful withdrawal symptoms and ensure I wouldn't fall off the bandwagon.

No more parties, pub visits and dinners with after eight mints, brandy and. . .  you've guessed. . .the room full of cigar and cigarette smoke.

Luckily, my then missus gave up the habit at the same time, so we were able to provide each other with the moral support to get over the craving. 

Now, just the smell of a cigarette - even, believe it not, emanating from a passing car! - makes me want to heave.

Since the day I quit I have tried to eat healthily and do lots of exercise to clean out my polluted lungs. I still cycle or walk for an hour a day and lift smallish weights - something I would have found hard when I was getting through forty fags a day in my "youth".

I have a lot to thank that doctor for. Only wish I could invite him to my birthday party in July, when I shall be eighty.  Sadly he is no longer around.

So keep up the good work, you quitters. It's the best, healthiest and economically most sensible decision you will probably ever make.

Congratulations! I gave up about 20 years ago. I constantly remind myself that I am a smoker who has stopped smoking. I still have the odd inclination, mostly for a cigar. Resistance is a MUST.

The longer you remain off them the shorter and less demanding the urges become and the easier it is to resist. 

Well done, I quite in 2000 after smoking for about he same period as you.

I would go for long walks daily, joined the gym for a few years and then one day I had a heart attack due to over exerting myself, so as I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, don't push yourself, and maybe see a doctor about getting on one coated aspirin tablet per day to reduce your chances of getting a clot as I did.

No doubt your arteries would have taken a beating as mine did, just saying, stay safe and to all you smokers out there, give it up because your polluting my free quality of air 555

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Forty-six years ago, after being a heavy smoker for nearly thirty years, I quit on the advice of my doctor who said my lungs were in a pretty poor state and I was not going to live to a ripe old age.

It was wretchedly hard going for the first month, when I had to totally change my lifestyle to shake off the awful withdrawal symptoms and ensure I wouldn't fall off the bandwagon.

No more parties, pub visits and dinners with after eight mints, brandy and. . .  you've guessed. . .the room full of cigar and cigarette smoke.

Luckily, my then missus gave up the habit at the same time, so we were able to provide each other with the moral support to get over the craving. 

Now, just the smell of a cigarette - even, believe it not, emanating from a passing car! - makes me want to heave.

Since the day I quit I have tried to eat healthily and do lots of exercise to clean out my polluted lungs. I still cycle or walk for an hour a day and lift smallish weights - something I would have found hard when I was getting through forty fags a day in my "youth".

I have a lot to thank that doctor for. Only wish I could invite him to my birthday party in July, when I shall be eighty.  Sadly he is no longer around.

So keep up the good work, you quitters. It's the best, healthiest and economically most sensible decision you will probably ever make.

Were you smoking at 4 years old or is it my Maths?

You are 80 in July, you stopped 46 years ago (which is fantastic! ) making you 34 years old when you quit, after being a heavy smoker for 30 years?

I stopped 14 years ago and I think for sure I would have been dead or seriously ill now with lung disease. I smoked 60 a day.

Just now, Scouse123 said:

Were you smoking at 4 years old?

It felt that way. I actually started at 14. I blame the early nicotine abuse for me being so lousy at math. . .  having a crafty drag behind the bicycle shed instead of doing lessons!

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

It felt that way. I actually started at 14. I blame the early nicotine abuse for me being so lousy at math. . .  having a crafty drag behind the bicycle shed instead of doing lessons!

Only jesting, well done!

You actually quit when it was being promoted by TV and advertised everywhere as a ' cool ' thing to do.

I am really happy I quit but I restrain myself from ever making criticisms of people who do smoke. It's very hard to stop.

Just now, Scouse123 said:

Only jesting, well done!

You actually quit when it was being promoted by TV and advertised everywhere as a ' cool ' thing to do.

I could have blamed Alzheimer's!

As you're clearly better than me at maths, maybe you would enjoy this maths teaser, which has had me and most adults, apparently, scratching our heads. It was part of a test for eight-year-olds!

https://inews.co.uk/light-relief/maths-problem-lighthouses-viral/

I smoked 30 a day from late teens to my mid 40s. I failed in many attempts to quit, I felt inferior to non-smokers, which was every member of my family.  I don't remember why I succeeded in the mid 90s, the cravings I must have felt, it was so long ago.  What I do remember is the joy and pride I felt when first offered a cigarette and honestly answered "No thankyou, I don't smoke"    Well done,  one day at a time.

4 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Reformed smokers are the worst...

Kidding, nice work and congratulations !

I appreciate the humour, but...

I actually agree; there are few things more irritating than reformed smokers! 

This is one of the most important reasons why I like posting here and why I have started four threads to date; when I am in the real world, I never say a word about it. On the rare occasions that it comes up, I say "yes, I am trying to quit" then I change the subject as quickly as possible. Its only here that I will admit that I am proud of myself; yes, I am shallow, but I'll hide behind the anonymity. :smile:

Any smokers who are thinking of quitting? There is a world of experience and advice that is yours for the taking...

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is one of the most important reasons why I like posting here and why I have started four threads to date; when I am in the real world, I never say a word about it. On the rare occasions that it comes up, I say "yes, I am trying to quit" then I change the subject as quickly as possible. Its only here that I will admit that I am proud of myself; yes, I am shallow, but I'll hide behind the anonymity. :smile:

Any smokers who are thinking of quitting? There is a world of experience and advice that is yours for the taking...

Cheers

And proud you should be. What is not to be proud of. Many try and do not succeed. 

I am one of the lucky ones. After smoking 20 a day for 26 years, once I had made the decision I found it very easy to quit and never touched one since (used hypnosis and had absolutely no withdrawal symptoms). That was on February 27 2010. 

25 minutes ago, GarryP said:

And proud you should be. What is not to be proud of. Many try and do not succeed. 

I am one of the lucky ones. After smoking 20 a day for 26 years, once I had made the decision I found it very easy to quit and never touched one since (used hypnosis and had absolutely no withdrawal symptoms). That was on February 27 2010. 

Cheers, Mr P!

I am interested in the hypnosis. I've never seen hypnosis other than on bad, second-rate TV shows; does it actually look/work something like that? Any chance you (or another member who also did hypnosis) might expand on the idea a bit? A few more details? I find it hard to believe that you simply get put under, they say "you are now a non-smoker", they snap their fingers and 'Bob's your uncle'! Or perhaps it is really that simple?

Thanks in advance!

PS I am genuinely curious about the hypnosis (and the mention of the drug in an earlier thread), but the main reason for starting this particular thread was/is to assist anyone who is thinking of quitting and needs some info or assistance.

If you can take a minute to potentially help another person quit with an explanation, just imagine how wonderful you'll feel later!

Cheers 

15 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Cheers, Mr P!

I am interested in the hypnosis. I've never seen hypnosis other than on bad, second-rate TV shows; does it actually look/work something like that? Any chance you (or another member who also did hypnosis) might expand on the idea a bit? A few more details? I find it hard to believe that you simply get put under, they say "you are now a non-smoker", they snap their fingers and 'Bob's your uncle'! Or perhaps it is really that simple?

Thanks in advance!

It is very different to the stage shows. In any case, hypnosis will not cause you to do things you do not want to do. It does not work that way. 

A very important point that is often overlooked by many is that it will not work if you do not really want to quit. The hypnotist explained it to me as like stuck near the top of the mountain but not getting any further. The hypnosis gives you the push to reach and get over the top of the mountain. In my case, I really wanted to quit, I just believed that I could never do it on my own. I hated what it was doing to my body, the anti-social aspects, worried I would smell of cigarettes in the lift or on the BTS (I did not like the thought of disturbing others with the smell of smoke on my clothes), etc. I hated smoking. 

After a half hour session I was feeling euphoric. On  my way out, I threw my cigarettes and lighter in the bin by the lift and knew absolutely that I had done it and would never smoke again.  I had no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. In fact in the first few days after quitting that euphoric feeling stayed with me. Afterwards, I never kept away from areas where there were smokers and in fact my wife continued to smoke. It did not bother me in the least.  She has since died as a direct result of smoking. 

The fellow I saw has since left Thailand, but there are other hypnotherapists around. However, since then I have resorted to self hypnosis for other things I wanted to change about myself and am very happy with the results. It isn't for everyone though. 

3 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

Keep it up. I am on the champix myself right now. I'm about 5 weeks into the course and 3 weeks not smoking except a few whilst drinking. The last few beers I had I managed to go without a smoke. Slowly breaking the habit of smoking whilst drinking. Stopping the champix early will not be a problem. You won't get any additional cravings for nicotine. The problem comes if you do sneak a smoke after you stop the champix as you will get a real buzz out of the nicotine. I've stopped about 4 times using champix as like yourself I have never been able to do it on will power alone. The champix really does the biz but you will need the will power in the long run. Hopefully the 12 weeks of champix will help in breaking those old habits.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am going the 'cold turkey' method as I believe that it is best for me, but I firmly support anything that works. I have heard the name "Champix", but don't know anything else. Could I ask that you expand on your experiences with it for the benefit of any others who might need/use it? I know we can all 'Google' it, but I am a great believer in first-hand stories. What specifically does it do? What are the worst side-effects for you? How did you get it? Anyone else use it?

Cheers

Champix will block the receptors in your brain that nicotine latches on to so in effect you can smoke all you want but will not get the nicotine high. After around a week to 10 days of taking champix you will suddenly notice that you have naturally stopped smoking as much and you will just get chose to quite altogether one day. You will still get "cravings" as such but these are more down to habit that any addiction to nicotine. 30 - 40 years of smoking after eating or whilst drinking are habits that will not be easy to shake. 

As far as side affects go I can confirm that the list provided with the drug is one of the biggest I have seen but I don't seem to suffer then too much. A bit of a dry mouth is the one I get. I can't stop farting just now but I am putting that down to the chewing gum. :sorry:

10 minutes ago, MW72 said:

Keep it up. I am on the champix myself right now. I'm about 5 weeks into the course and 3 weeks not smoking except a few whilst drinking. The last few beers I had I managed to go without a smoke. Slowly breaking the habit of smoking whilst drinking. Stopping the champix early will not be a problem. You won't get any additional cravings for nicotine. The problem comes if you do sneak a smoke after you stop the champix as you will get a real buzz out of the nicotine. I've stopped about 4 times using champix as like yourself I have never been able to do it on will power alone. The champix really does the biz but you will need the will power in the long run. Hopefully the 12 weeks of champix will help in breaking those old habits.

Thanks MW72 (and GarryP above!) for the stories.

Smoking and drinking; they really are like Peanut Butter and Jam or Pie and Ice Cream or Jagger and Richards, or Lennon and McCartney, aren't they? I stopped drinking (for the most part) several years ago; I suspect that if I were still drinking then I may or may not have gotten as far as I have. At the risk of getting a slap in the head, have you tried going on the wagon for a while as you begin to break the cigarette addiction? Or does that cause too many problems?

Yes, it has been the 'habit' side more than physical symptoms for me, although I have had a few moments of "GIVE ME A CIGARETTE OR I WILL KILL YOU!!!! Fortunately no one listened and no one gave me a cigarette and it passed...

The truly remarkable thing for me is the proverbial 'monkey off my back'. I used to consider how many cigarettes I had and whether or not I could buy more with every decision that I made. If I was going on a nature hike, I thought about whether or not I had enough smokes. If I was going to the beach, I thought about whether or not I had enough smokes. If I were going to bed, I thought about whether or not I had enough cigarettes for the early morning, etc etc etc. That part is passing rapidly out of my thoughts and I am VERY VERY happy to realize that.

Stay strong everyone!

Cheers

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Cheers

You just can not hear about how smoking is a bad ,unhealthy ,nasty habit. Is it maybe that you have no self discipline to be able to quit ? SO go hide under your blanket.

Smoking does nobody any favours. How people in the UK afford cigarettes at more than 450 baht for 20 escapes me. It is an extremely addictive habit and so hard to break. I laud all those who are trying. The end justifies the agony.

I stopped at age 32 when I was smokind 40 Capstan full strength a day...no filters. That was 44 years ago. Best thing I ever did!

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Cheers

I was on the champix...not very nice at all

My life seemed like a roller coaster ride, one minute I wanted to jump off a bridge ( from anxiety ) then the next minute I wanted to throw someone else of a bridge ( getting agro over nothing ) 

I spoke to my chemist about this and was told to stop taking them immediately ..which I did

Within about 3 or 4 days I came good...not gonna take them ever again 

but they don't affect every one like this, I know others who have been fine on them

Cheers

Geoff

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Cheers

Thank you!

Yep, started off at 15. Not on 2 packs a day initially, but with later, stressful years and almost chain smoking, the average holds, and we're looking at almost 39,000 packs or 773,800 cigs. So what made me stop? Nothing. I just decided to give it a serious try. Like anyone who has ever smoked, I've heard my share of "it's gonna kill you", and every good doctor I've ever met in my life put on a grave face and said it's extremely unhealthy. Yada yada yada. I've been well aware of the (medical) facts, but life has a way of not only allowing logic into the calculation...

I've googled quite a bit before venturing on Champix - I'm a person who loves facts and being informed from several sources. Forget all the websites that want to sell you the stuff, or another cures of sorts. Among others, there's a Pfizer product page here: https://www.chantix.com/about-chantix (note that in Thailand and some other countries, it's called Champix, while in other countries the name is Chantix - I suppose marketing had their day...). It's quite informative, answers quite a few questions, offers different options for how to stop (I chose the "flexible quit" approach, because it seemed to show the greatest success rates). The stuff blocks nicotine receptors in the brain, resulting in less dopamine being produced from the first puffs of a cig. No dopamine means there won't be a drop in dopamine levels (one of the killer mechanisms making you grab the next cig, 15 minutes after the previous one) and thus diminished urge. I think there's a whole lot more that's going on in the brain, or the list of potential side effects wouldn't be as long as it is... So: yes, I'm super-grumpy, on edge, irritable, impatient, plus slightly forgetful/confused at times. Well - as an old geezer, I have all the rights to that :shock1:. But it's a tad more than before stopping, so... My digestive system is also a bit upside-down. It started off while taking the first pills but still smoking - the continuous farts I kept producing were straight out of a Monthy Python movie. Then there's the munchies, because you don't hit stomach nerves over the head with the stuff from cigs. Expect to gain weight, unless you're a person with exceptional will power (then why did you smoke in the first place?), because things taste and smell better...

People tend to go on and on about nicotine withdrawal, and they start spraying stuff and chewing nicotine gums. IMHO, none of that is needed, because with Champix, you start to take the pills (smaller dose at first, then stepping up) while you still smoke for a while, and by the time you quit smoking, the entire nicotine-triggered mechanism has already been greatly reduced. What's MUCH worse is the power of habit. A cup of coffee without a cigarette? Unthinkable. A nice meal, and finish off with a cigarette? Yes please... Let's not even go into the cigarette-after. The longer and the more you've smoked, the more such "cornerstones" have gradually been built up, and those are damn hard to brush away, let alone ignore. Smoking isn't much of a physical addiction (if at all!) - it's mostly in your head...

I could go on for hours, but I have a few other things to do as well... :stoner:

19 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

A good way to quit is that each time you feel the urge for a smoke, ask the missus to puff down on you !!....:sleep:

That's a recipe for several different potential desasters. One might be that the missus complies happily (not a desaster), but you lean back and light up (kinda worst-case scenario). Or her reaction physically hurts: loads of bumps on your head, a new one every 15 minutes. Or... no, I'll stop right here :partytime2:

40 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

I was on the champix...not very nice at all

My life seemed like a roller coaster ride, one minute I wanted to jump off a bridge ( from anxiety ) then the next minute I wanted to throw someone else of a bridge ( getting agro over nothing ) 

I spoke to my chemist about this and was told to stop taking them immediately ..which I did

Within about 3 or 4 days I came good...not gonna take them ever again 

but they don't affect every one like this, I know others who have been fine on them

Cheers

Geoff

Yep - I can see the roller coaster ride from here, albeit in a much milder form. Having said that, the Ms. isn't all that happy: she's seen a more patient and friendlier me before... One day, I forgot to take the morning pill, got into the worst pre-1st-May traffic jam and more or less stuck for the next 90 minutes. With idiots, zombies, brain-dead drivers - simply the worst, concentrated. Had there been a bridge on the way, I might well have thrown someone (or a whole bunch of 'em) off it...

Archived