How to say fall down

EricTh

yeh also I get it, unbelievable in English is right up there with “oh gosh” but you can definitely inflect alot to make it dark in Thai.

Just think of how bad “tooey” “ถุย” can go. ex.
1.เด็กๆอย่าถุย
2. ถุยยยย!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I can't believe that a simple verb like 'fall down' can span three pages with no consensus on the best verb to use.

In the end, I don't know whether to use 'dtok din'  or whatever.

I do need a Thai teacher who is good in both English and Thai. Alas, almost all Thai teachers that I've met are good only in Thai.

I thought it was already solved. Falling from a higher level, i.e. a tree, stairs, etc uses ตก 

น้ำตก  waterfall      เตรื่องบินตก - aeroplane crash        ตกบันได fall down the stairs

but a fall from the same level , ie fall over on the floor/ground, fall off a motorbike/bicycle uses ล้ม

หกล้ม- to tumble, stumble , fall down, slip    ล้มลง  collapse, fall down

On 5/25/2018 at 9:23 PM, bannork said:

I thought it was already solved. Falling from a higher level, i.e. a tree, stairs, etc uses ตก 

น้ำตก  waterfall      เตรื่องบินตก - aeroplane crash        ตกบันได fall down the stairs

but a fall from the same level , ie fall over on the floor/ground, fall off a motorbike/bicycle uses ล้ม

หกล้ม- to tumble, stumble , fall down, slip    ล้มลง  collapse, fall down

nothing is ever "solved" here on TV....555    ohooo   I just ผายลม.......ขอโทษ

7 hours ago, rumak said:

nothing is ever "solved" here on TV....555    ohooo   I just ผายลม.......ขอโทษ

That reminds me of an amusing event when a teaching colleague was starting to learn Thai and he took a crowded air-con bus home. Forced to keep moving towards the back of the bus as more and more people got on, as he neared his stop he knew he would have to squeeze his way carefully past the cheek to jowl passengers to get off in time.

Time to use his latest phrase he thought- ขอโทษ - excuse me- he repeated again and again as he gingerly passed his fellow commuters. 

But to his consternation all he got in return was frowns and dirty looks. He wondered why he was faced with such hostility.

I asked him what he had said.

ขอตด he replied. 

Oh how a little mispronunciation can go a long way!

An air conditioned bus, the windows sealed, packed to the seams, and some bloke is asking permission to fart on the bus. Throw him off! 

5 hours ago, bannork said:

That reminds me of an amusing event when a teaching colleague was starting to learn Thai and he took a crowded air-con bus home. Forced to keep moving towards the back of the bus as more and more people got on, as he neared his stop he knew he would have to squeeze his way carefully past the cheek to jowl passengers to get off in time.

Time to use his latest phrase he thought- ขอโทษ - excuse me- he repeated again and again as he gingerly passed his fellow commuters. 

But to his consternation all he got in return was frowns and dirty looks. He wondered why he was faced with such hostility.

I asked him what he had said.

ขอตด he replied. 

Oh how a little mispronunciation can go a long way!

An air conditioned bus, the windows sealed, packed to the seams, and some bloke is asking permission to fart on the bus. Throw him off! 

haha    guess he wanted to practice his  dtor dtow 

On 5/25/2018 at 9:23 PM, bannork said:

On 5/25/2018 at 10:36 AM, EricTh said:

I can't believe that a simple verb like 'fall down' can span three pages with no consensus on the best verb to use.

In the end, I don't know whether to use 'dtok din'  or whatever.

I do need a Thai teacher who is good in both English and Thai. Alas, almost all Thai teachers that I've met are good only in Thai.

หกล้ม  

จบ

Archived