"I was just helping the cops out" says motorcycle taxi guy who kicked tourist in the face

webfact

"I was just helping the cops out" says motorcycle taxi guy who kicked tourist in the face

kick.jpg

video screenshot

The motorcycle taxi rider who kicked the German tourist in the face has told Thai media that he was helping out the cops.

He saw that the tourist was attempting to flee the scene - so he kicked him in the head.

He regrets it now but he was provoked.

According to Daily News Pattaya police fined Sunthorn Saengkham 500 baht for assault and fined the German 400 baht after they locked up his rented bike.

mc.jpg

Picture: Daily News

But today (Friday) the department of Land Transport are set to get involved in the drama - they may decide to take the licence of the motorcycle taxi driver away if they feel he has been dealt with leniently.

Daily News quoted policewoman Pol Lt Chanikan Pheuanphinit as saying that the German tourist, Andreas Bauer, 40, was stopped at a checkpoint and found to have only a German licence.

So the bike was locked. She said he then hauled it away with Daily News claiming that he took it 100 meters up Beach Road.

Sunthorn, a member of the rank that operates outside Pattaya police station where the traffic stop occurred said:

"The tourist would not listen to the officers and was not happy. He tried to break the lock and flee. He looked like he was going to fight with the police.

"So I decided to help them. When he swore at me and gave me the finger I snapped.

"I couldn't tolerate that kind of bad behavior so I kicked and punched him. I regret it now"

Daily News said he was fined 500 baht for assault. The cops said they fined the tourist 400 baht because they had to lock up his bike.

INN reported differently.

They said that the motorcycle taxi driver was fined 1000 baht. They said that the bike was confiscated and would be handed back to the rental company when they came to collect it.

They quoted a police spokesman as saying that the national police chief had told the public and his men to be nice to tourists and keep their temper at all times.

Especially in tourist areas like Pattaya.

This kind of behavior was just not acceptable and the police should be left to do their job.

Expect further developments today when the DLT get involved in the drama.

Thaivisa notes that the confiscation of bikes ridden by tourists without the correct paperwork was announced by police last week. 

Source: Daily News, INN

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-18

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, webfact said:

police fined Sunthorn Saengkham 500 baht for assault

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

They said that the motorcycle taxi driver was fined 1000 baht

500, 1000, doesn't really matter as it's hardly a deterrent..

Take his taxi licence for 3 months, see if that has an effect !!

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

"I couldn't tolerate that kind of bad behavior so I kicked and punched him. I regret it now"

Thai logic,

regards worgeordie

try asking them what a 1km fare should be and see were that gets you

it should be 25baht but they will say anything from 40-60baht

time for Grab to be fully operating in Pattaya - that should shut them up

If a foreign tourist rode a bike without a  valid licence in Australia and raised a fist at the cops he would be in more trouble than this German.

If it happened in USA no doubt he'd be lying on a slab in the morgue riddled with bullet holes.

That  Thai motor cycle punk is nothing.   IQ of 60 at best.

The German was lucky there wasnt a serious Thai punk  in proximity , most of whom carry knives in their fanny pack or  shoulder bag'

The motorcycle/samlor,jet ski  guys and cops are  buddies.

Tourists dont know this.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The motorcycle taxi rider who kicked the German tourist in the face has told Thai media that he was helping out the cops

I am sure that the cops are very pleased to hear that they have such an expert helping out in different cases. Soon we will see advertising: "Good Headkicker needed for police assistance in Nothaburi"

typical little pos kick the guy in the face when he wasnt looking.and it was none of his fkin business anyway. yes take his licence away, (i bet he will still be riding as a moto taxi anyway), where is this place in Pattaya. i see the cops had a big set up yesterday by Big C, stopping many bikes.

.." They said that the bike was confiscated and would be handed back to the rental company when they came to collect it." ...According to report I read on TV the other day, the rental company will be charged 2000 baht for privalige of collecting the bike from the Police to. So rental company lose 2000 baht OR they take 2000 baht from the customer as deposit in  case of this happening, due to not carrying  whilst using the bike :- A Valid (motorcycle) German DL + IDP + Original passport

Theres going to be so much more of this type of thing.

Problems reduced if rental company demand (and take copies) of DL+ IDP + Passport when renting AND take 2000 baht deposit in case of recovery from Police required AND get customer to sign a letter stating that he understands he 'MUST carry all 3 documents at all times . Failure to do so could mean forfeiting the 2000 baht , as well as other police penalties direct to the customer.'

Not saying I agree with it but thats what needs to be done.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

What was Herman the German doing with that scooter anyway? Why did he have to drag it while it was locked?

He thought he was in the right to do so, i think, but the moto-taxi guy was thinking different.

Honestly, given the choice of paying the fine, or get a kick in the face and pay the fine, the former is quite convenient.

2 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Translated as 'I saw the chance to take a cheap shot at a farang as I am a coward who would not normally take the opportunity unless he was outnumbered.'

Fixed.

Brilliant and well stated. If only the media had the stones to write like you.

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Hopefully next time he will try it with a whole team of wanted Rugby players !

That would be spectacular.  Hopefully the Rugby lads will get 500/1000 baht worth of bashing before their fine is bestowed upon them by the fine and fair police.

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

500, 1000, doesn't really matter as it's hardly a deterrent..

Take his taxi licence for 3 months, see if that has an effect !!

Do you realize how many motorcycle taxi drivers are already working without a license?! This is not a real deterrent. They must increase fines DRAMTICALLY to make a real difference.

4 hours ago, lanista said:

If a foreign tourist rode a bike without a  valid licence in Australia and raised a fist at the cops he would be in more trouble than this German.

If it happened in USA no doubt he'd be lying on a slab in the morgue riddled with bullet holes.

That  Thai motor cycle punk is nothing.   IQ of 60 at best.

The German was lucky there wasnt a serious Thai punk  in proximity , most of whom carry knives in their fanny pack or  shoulder bag'

The motorcycle/samlor,jet ski  guys and cops are  buddies.

Tourists dont know this.

Do Thai visitors/tourists require an International Driving Licence before renting a bike?   Surely the M/B renters would ask to see the licence before renting  if this is the case.

On my one and only visit to Phuket last year, I saw a great many foreign tourists on bikes being stopped and asked for papers.  Obviously a good source of income.

Archived