"I was just helping the cops out" says motorcycle taxi guy who kicked tourist in the face

webfact

21 hours ago, mercman24 said:

typical little pos kick the guy in the face when he wasnt looking.and it was none of his fkin business anyway. yes take his licence away, (i bet he will still be riding as a moto taxi anyway), where is this place in Pattaya. i see the cops had a big set up yesterday by Big C, stopping many bikes.

Why are the f..ing RTP not checking the motorbike rental companies and taking the license away instead of waiting until a tourist rent a motorbike and the arrest him.
This will have a BIG impact on tourism if they continue this scam.

The Police in this case was arresting the German a few meters away from the rental guy.
Showing that they were playing a little extortion game together.

It's the task of the rental companies to refuse the rental of a vehicle to drivers without the proper papers in Thailand.
NOT the tourists!!!!!!!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, lanista said:

If a foreign tourist rode a bike without a  valid licence in Australia and raised a fist at the cops he would be in more trouble than this German.

If it happened in USA no doubt he'd be lying on a slab in the morgue riddled with bullet holes.

That  Thai motor cycle punk is nothing.   IQ of 60 at best.

The German was lucky there wasnt a serious Thai punk  in proximity , most of whom carry knives in their fanny pack or  shoulder bag'

The motorcycle/samlor,jet ski  guys and cops are  buddies.

Tourists dont know this.

A tourist would not be given a bike in Australia, the USA or any civilised country.

In civilised countries, rental companies are required to control that the renter has ALL the required licenses before giving him a vehicle.

Only in Thailand they make a law where a tourist can rent a vehicle without having the proper licenses and being extorted money by the RTP as soon as the tourist leaves the rental shop.

Thailand is killing the goose with the golden eggs.

BTW, in EVERY civilised country, a taxi driver who kicks a person under police custody in the head, would not get away with a 500/1000 baht fine but would be now in the hospital with a lot of broken bones.

Taxi drivers are not cops and don't have the right to meddle in the tasks of the Police.

17 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Why are the f..ing RTP not checking the motorbike rental companies and taking the license away instead of waiting until a tourist rent a motorbike and the arrest him.
This will have a BIG impact on tourism if they continue this scam.

The Police in this case was arresting the German a few meters away from the rental guy.

It's the task of the rental companies to refuse the rental of a vehicle to drivers without the proper papers in Thailand.
NOT the tourists!!!!!!!

Nooooo, you have it all wrong.  First they change the rules making all those who rented motorbikes criminals.

Then they fine the "criminals" and have their friends beat them badly.

Yes, the German tourist has a lesson to learn here and It's something he should share with all his countrymen:

DO NOT VACATION IN THAILAND!  INSTEAD, VACATION IN A CIVILIZED COUNTRY; ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE BEATEN.

This actually works out well for Thailand.  They'll no longer have those pesky Western tourists, but instead can open their arms to the Chinese hordes. 

Oops, just one minor problem.  The Chinese don't rent motorbikes and also do NOT use motorbike taxis, they ride in huge buses, but that's OK.

1 minute ago, Watchful said:

Nooooo, you have it all wrong.  First they change the rules making all those who rented motorbikes criminals.

Then they fine the criminals and have their friends best them badly.

Yes, the German tourist has a lesson to learn here and It's something he should share with all his countrymen:

DO NOT VACATION IN THAILAND!  INSTEAD, VACATION IN A CIVILIZED COUNTRY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE BEATEN.

This actually works out well for Thailand.  They'll no longer have those pesky Western tourists, but instead can open their arms to the Chinese hordes. 

Oops, just one minor problem.  The Chinese don't rent motorbikes and also do NOT use motorbike taxis, they ride in huge buses, but that's OK.

Or he could have the appropriate licence for the country he's renting in and stop trying to dance with a locked motorbike. 

(Doesn't justify him getting kicked in the head and the disgusting behaviour of the Thai )

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Or he could have the appropriate licence for the country he's renting in and stop trying to dance with a locked motorbike. 

(Doesn't justify him getting kicked in the head and the disgusting behaviour of the Thai )

And how exactly is supposed to know what's appropriate when the rules keep changing?

Last week they changed them!  So no "well, you probably didn't hear, so we'll over look it this time".  Instead, you are a CRIMINAL and here is a kick in the face to prove it.

If that guy ever returns to Thailand, he deserves whatever he gets.  He should share his "experience" with home newspapers and make sure his countrymen are forewarned.  

5 minutes ago, Watchful said:

And how exactly is supposed to know what's appropriate when the rules keep changing?

Last week they changed them!  So no "well, you probably didn't hear, so we'll over look it this time".  Instead, you are a CRIMINAL and here is a kick in the face to prove it.

If that guy ever returns to Thailand, he deserves whatever he gets.  He should share his "experience" with home newspapers and make sure his countrymen are forewarned.  

They didnt change last week. I was fined about 3 years ago for not having the said licence. Nothing's changed apart from maybe better enforcement. 

As as for the rest, stop being such a drama queen. 

56 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The German guy was "not" arrested and the "rental guy" was not a few meters away. The German guy got a ticket for not having a correct licence (maybe not a bike license, maybe no IDP) and standard practice is the police take your keys or lock the bike until the fine is paid.

The rental shop may be at fault for renting to someone without a license, depends what the german guy presented to them. Police have decided its not a valid license (we dont know why).

At the start of the video, the police are long gone, they have issued a ticket, locked the bike and have gone. Nobody is under arrest or in custody

The rental guy is also not in the video, not close by, he is probably home having his lunch at his rental shop.

The german guy has possibly presented a valid license to the rental shop, police have possibly issued a ticket for not have the accompanying IDP, (a requirement that is sometimes enforced)

Besides the taxi guy being an ahole, there is no other issue, no police/rental shop conspiracy, no arresting of tourists

27 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

They didnt change last week. I was fined about 3 years ago for not having the said licence. Nothing's changed apart from maybe better enforcement. 

As as for the rest, stop being such a drama queen. 

So sorry you are woefully uninformed, but much has changed...

"Pattaya police have said that from now on if tourists are driving rental vehicles without licences they will be fined up to 1000 baht.

But in a decisive new move the vehicle will also be confiscated.

The rental company must then go and pick it up and pay a fine of up to 2,000 baht.

Pol Maj Arut Saphanon said there were no ifs and buts in the future - it starts now."

You can read more here:

This is the perfect scheme to extort from unsuspecting tourists.

No drama... Just avoid Thailand if you don't want to be labeled a CRIMINAL, incur huge costs of impounded vehicles and get a kick in the face in the process.

No drama, but this is the place strictly for the Chinese hordes.  Westerners stay home!

I think it could be described as a scam when you rent a bike on beach road between Soi 7 & 8, they don't require license nor insurance. You climb on head south and get stopped 100 meters down the road, ticketed, bike impounded and kicked in the face while in police custody by a moto taxi boy placed their to provide you a ride to where you pay your fine. Feel set up like a bowling pin, you enjoying your vacation in LOS yet?  How much did that 100m ride cost you? Cheer up and go across the street and rent a jet ski, moto boy who just kicked you in the teeth has a friend who will give you a good deal. Just remember the name of that cop who gave you the ticket, you might need him come time you return the jet ski. Wasn't that a fun afternoon!!

5 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

while in police custody

Were are people getting this from, the guy was not arrested or in police custody. he was issued a fine and the bike locked until payment, standard practice, its happend to me 3-4 times.

8 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

provide you a ride to where you pay your fine

the incident is out the front of the police station, its 20 meters to were you pay the fine.

8 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

I think it could be described as a scam when you rent a bike on beach road between Soi 7 & 8, they don't require license nor insurance. You climb on head north and get stopped 100 meters down the road, ticketed, bike impounded and kicked in the face while in police custody by a moto taxi boy placed their to provide you a ride to where you pay your fine. Feel set up like a bowling pin, you enjoying your vacation in LOS yet?  How much did that 100m ride cost you? Cheer up and go across the street and rent a jet ski, moto boy who just kicked you in the teeth has a friend who will give a good deal. Just remember the name of that cop who gave you the ticket, you might need him come time you return the jet ski. Wasn't that a fun afternoon!!

The best description of that scam ever.
Should be published in every foreign country in BIG characters.
Thank you for that Jazzdog.

21 minutes ago, Watchful said:

So sorry you are woefully uninformed, but much has changed...

"Pattaya police have said that from now on if tourists are driving rental vehicles without licences they will be fined up to 1000 baht.

But in a decisive new move the vehicle will also be confiscated.

The rental company must then go and pick it up and pay a fine of up to 2,000 baht.

Pol Maj Arut Saphanon said there were no ifs and buts in the future - it starts now."

You can read more here:

This is the perfect scheme to extort from unsuspecting tourists.

No drama... Just avoid Thailand if you don't want to be labeled a CRIMINAL, incur huge costs of impounded vehicles and get a kick in the face in the process.

No drama, but this is the place strictly for the Chinese hordes.  Westerners stay home!

If you didn't have the correct licence the fine has always been 1,000 baht for as long as I can remember and they would lock your bike and/or take it away to the cop shop until you pay. Granted the extra fine for the rental company is an added extra. 

Bottom line is have the correct licence and none of it happens. 

Westerners come and and have fun. The best place in the world. 

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

If you didn't have the correct licence the fine has always been 1,000 baht for as long as I can remember and they would lock your bike and/or take it away to the cop shop until you pay. Granted the extra fine for the rental company is an added extra. 

Possibly I misunderstood the scam, but once the vehicle is confiscated via wheel locks, who pays the 2000 thb fine when you have no vehicle to return?

Rental company just says, "OK, you have no vehicle to return.  No problem, no charge for that."

I really believe you totally misunderstand how this SCAM works!

14 minutes ago, Watchful said:

Possibly I misunderstood the scam, but once the vehicle is confiscated via wheel locks, who pays the 2000 thb fine when you have no vehicle to return?

Rental company just says, "OK, you have no vehicle to return.  No problem, no charge for that."

I really believe you totally misunderstand how this SCAM works!

There are 2 types of vehicle impounding in thailand, the normal "take you keys or lock the bike" until the fine is paid. Its nothing new, its been like that for as long as I can remember, I have had my bike locked up a couple of time (my own stupid fault, no Helmut etc).

The recently introduced, impounding of a vehicle if it was rented to someone without a license. Thats between the rental shop and the police.

This incident is just the bike is locked until the German pays his fine (most likely not having an IDP), and he was trying to remove the lock.

There is nothing in this incident that says the bike was impounded for rental shop violation.

26 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Westerners come and and have fun. The best place in the world. 

Yes thats right, its always been a maximum fine of 1,000 baht (usually 400), recent changes has seen the maximum fine for renting with no license and an additional fine for the rental shop.

As far as I can remember it has always been lock up bike until fine has paid. It cant be any other way because tourists would just throw the ticket away, hop on a plane and go home. Its the same for Thais, Thai GF has been done a couple of times.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:31 AM, cornishcarlos said:

500, 1000, doesn't really matter as it's hardly a deterrent..

Take his taxi licence for 3 months, see if that has an effect !!

Very doubtful he'll just carry on as usual without a licence!

What about the motorcycle rental company, I hope they trace the bike back to them & fine them for renting to a person without the appropriate licences!

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes thats right, its always been a maximum fine of 1,000 baht (usually 400), recent changes has seen the maximum fine for renting with no license and an additional fine for the rental shop.

As far as I can remember it has always been lock up bike until fine has paid. It cant be any other way because tourists would just throw the ticket away, hop on a plane and go home. Its the same for Thais, Thai GF has been done a couple of times.

Like you I have been stopped a few times in my early days and it was always 400-1000 depending on the weather. 

3 minutes ago, HLover said:

Dark skin, flat nosed and splay toed does not make them evil. No?

Possibly but homeboy looks like he's been beaten/kicked about the head and face. Might explain his bitterness. Maybe just an over zealous Thai boxing fan.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

There are 2 types of vehicle impounding in thailand, the normal "take you keys or lock the bike" until the fine is paid. Its nothing new, its been like that for as long as I can remember, I have had my bike locked up a couple of time (my own stupid fault, no Helmut etc).

The recently introduced, impounding of a vehicle if it was rented to someone without a license. Thats between the rental shop and the police.

This incident is just the bike is locked until the German pays his fine (most likely not having an IDP), and he was trying to remove the lock.

There is nothing in this incident that says the bike was impounded for rental shop violation.

Well according to the article in the OP ...

They said that the bike was confiscated and would be handed back to the rental company when they came to collect it.

And so how does the tourist get his deposit back?  Are you seriously telling us that the rental company is fine with NO vehicle being returned?

It's all part of the SCAM!

The German guy must share this entire scam including the face kick with German news outlets.  Westerners must be warned about the dangers ... real dangers that exist in Thailand.

Whatever the idea of the German and the action of the police, there's no relevance to the dick mototaxi guy kicking the foreigner in the face. A 500 or 1000 baht fine for such unprovoked behaviour is a joke but nothing unusual in Thailand. If giving someone the finger gives another the right to assault them then society is in for a rough ride. 

Take away the licence of the motorcycle taxi driver as he is obviously unsuited to work in public service and give him an appropriate fine. As for the German breaking the law - fine accordingly.

12 minutes ago, timewilltell said:

Take away the licence of the motorcycle taxi driver as he is obviously unsuited to work in public service and give him an appropriate fine. As for the German breaking the law - fine accordingly.

it appearers Mr Taxi didn't have a license anyway.

Sanit said that Sunthorn had no licence to operate a motorcycle taxi, was using a private unregistered vehicle for the purpose and besides was inappropriately dressed. 

What a lot of crap, that idiot who kicked the German Tourist in the face should be severely dealt with, he had absolutely NO right to kick a visitor in the face, if he wanted to help then he could have restraint the tourist by some other means, if it would have been me - I would have flattened that scumbag.

By the way in reference to use a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand, according to the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which was signed also by Thailand stated, to drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or as visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied  by an official translation into English or Thai.

I have hired motorcycles and cars several times in Thailand with my Australian licence and also got controlled at check points and have never experienced any problems.

Unfortunately there are enough tourists who left their brains at the airport and hire a bike without the valid licence and enough rental companies who do not ask for a licence, resulting in road carnage  and accidents.

5 minutes ago, weri said:

What a lot of crap, that idiot who kicked the German Tourist in the face should be severely dealt with, he had absolutely NO right to kick a visitor in the face, if he wanted to help then he could have restraint the tourist by some other means, if it would have been me - I would have flattened that scumbag.

By the way in reference to use a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand, according to the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which was signed also by Thailand stated, to drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or as visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied  by an official translation into English or Thai.

I have hired motorcycles and cars several times in Thailand with my Australian licence and also got controlled at check points and have never experienced any problems.

Unfortunately there are enough tourists who left their brains at the airport and hire a bike without the valid licence and enough rental companies who do not ask for a licence, resulting in road carnage  and accidents.

I have also used the treaty above with success avoiding tickets in a car. Two problems is if your license is not for M/C and second is in all cases you are driving uninsured. No big deal for Thai, huge problem for farang should you get hurt or if you kill or maim a local. Farang most likely will be found at fault and in any case will be held until resolution. With class #1 insurance you get bailed out and agent handles all if 1- licensed in Thailand 2- not intoxicated.

32 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

I have also used the treaty above with success avoiding tickets in a car. Two problems is if your license is not for M/C and second is in all cases you are driving uninsured. No big deal for Thai, huge problem for farang should you get hurt or if you kill or maim a local. Farang most likely will be found at fault and in any case will be held until resolution. With class #1 insurance you get bailed out and agent handles all if 1- licensed in Thailand 2- not intoxicated.

Sorry I don't agree with not being insured, just came back from Chiang Mai and hired car from Rentalcars.com with fully comprehensive insurance from Rentalcover.com (Avis at Chiang Mai airport) with full insurance certificate. Same goes to motorcycle hire from Amari in Koh Samui also full insured with travel insurance from Ticket Insurance from Australia. By the way my licence says LR (Light Truck) and R (Motorcycle, unrestricted)

31 minutes ago, weri said:

Sorry I don't agree with not being insured, just came back from Chiang Mai and hired car from Rentalcars.com with fully comprehensive insurance from Rentalcover.com (Avis at Chiang Mai airport) with full insurance certificate. Same goes to motorcycle hire from Amari in Koh Samui also full insured with travel insurance from Ticket Insurance from Australia. By the way my licence says LR (Light Truck) and R (Motorcycle, unrestricted)

Did the car rental insurance cover the whole car 

Unlike Australia where they it only covers half the car

23 hours ago, johng said:

There is no international drivers license.

There 2 types of international drivers permits.
Thailand recognises 1 type...but normally if your home country license has a photo and English language explaining license holder and vehicle categories there is no problems, of course you have to have motorcycle category entitlements to drive a motorcycle and car entitlements to drive a car etc etc.

Sorry but you are wrong: Thailand recognises 2 types: thai driving licence and of course "International driving licence", I'm 100% sure as I had to do it in my own country (Belgium), this is just a paid formality, I even had to renew my own 35 years old-national (big format) driving licence last year to the new european credit card format (and had to pay) before beeing able to renew my international driving licence which had only a 5 years validity. I come in Thailand since 2003 and I have already been controlled by the cops of course.

2 minutes ago, cedel said:

Sorry but you are wrong: Thailand recognises 2 types: thai driving licence and of course "International driving licence", I'm 100% sure as I had to do it in my own country (Belgium), this is just a paid formality, I even had to renew my own 35 years old-national (big format) driving licence last year to the new european credit card format (and had to pay) before beeing able to renew my international driving licence which had only a 5 years validity. I come in Thailand since 2003 and I have already been controlled by the cops of course.

No-it's a permit.

That is all-as many posters have pointed out.Too many..far too many..far,far too many..

Archived