"I was just helping the cops out" says motorcycle taxi guy who kicked tourist in the face

webfact

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

No-it's a permit.

That is all-as many posters have pointed out.Too many..far too many..far,far too many..

I don't understand. in French it's called "permis de conduire", in English, "driving licence", so what's the difference ? I'm not sure to understand your post

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cedel said:

I don't understand. in French it's called "permis de conduire", in English, "driving licence", so what's the difference ? I'm not sure to understand your post

Well I would say a Driving License is obtained in your own country

& a Driving Permit (even though obtained in your own country ), is called a Permit due to the fact that you don't have a Drivers License for the said country of visit. So therefore it's Permitting you to drive / ride for a permitted time in the country of visit & would be identifiable as it has several language translations of your credentials.

11 minutes ago, cedel said:

It is a permit-by International treaty.

If you want a license then you do whatever you do in your country.In Thailand you play tiddlywinks,I suppose (judging by their driving skills) but the license will only be applicable once you have sat the test and passed it.

In Australia these permits and licenses are being seriously questioned as Asians cannot drive a bullock cart with any degree of competence.

I met a number of Thai police (pleasant chaps) who could not make sense of my permit but instantly made sense of my Thai ID card.

Yes international drivers permit which really is just a translation of your drivers license into several languages....there are 2 types (cant remember years off top if my head) one if which Thailand recognises.
Normally if your home license has a photo and English language printed on it the Thai cop's are fine with that...but after 90 days you are supposed to get a Thai license which is quite easy just have to do eyesight and reaction tests..maybe watch a video have medical certificate and certificate of residence from immigration then they'll "convert" your home license to a 2 year temporary Thai one...then B.I.B's you're uncle and Fanny's your aunt.

2 hours ago, weri said:

Sorry I don't agree with not being insured, just came back from Chiang Mai and hired car from Rentalcars.com with fully comprehensive insurance from Rentalcover.com (Avis at Chiang Mai airport) with full insurance certificate. Same goes to motorcycle hire from Amari in Koh Samui also full insured with travel insurance from Ticket Insurance from Australia. By the way my licence says LR (Light Truck) and R (Motorcycle, unrestricted)

Possible only with short term TV. I believe only first 90 days. Not conclusive until you actual receive a payout. Not if you own a car, bike you CANNOT purchase insurance without a Thailand license.

4 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Well I would say a Driving License is obtained in your own country

& a Driving Permit (even though obtained in your own country ), is called a Permit due to the fact that you don't have a Drivers License for the said country of visit. So therefore it's Permitting you to drive / ride for a permitted time in the country of visit & would be identifiable as it has several language translations of your credentials.

ok, name it as you want, in French, it's the same name. The fact is that if you come as a tourist for holiday just a few weeks, you will obviously not have to pass an exam just for beeing allowed to drive a rented car or motorbike. The police and I think your insurance require an International Driving "Permit" (or licence), whatever you name it.

13 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes international drivers permit which really is just a translation of your drivers license into several languages....there are 2 types (cant remember years off top if my head) one if which Thailand recognises.
Normally if your home license has a photo and English language printed on it the Thai cop's are fine with that...but after 90 days you are supposed to get a Thai license which is quite easy just have to do eyesight and reaction tests..maybe watch a video have medical certificate and certificate of residence from immigration then they'll "convert" your home license to a 2 year temporary Thai one...then B.I.B's you're uncle and Fanny's your aunt.

Yep-bang on.

Ok Fellas 

Lets get back to why the Taxi rider had to kick the German in the face thinking he was trying to make a run for it with a 100 + kg bike on his back

He was probably only trying to move it out of the way to a better spot as he wouldn't of known how long the ordeal of the hirer would have taken

5 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Ok Fellas 

Lets get back to why the Taxi rider had to kick the German in the face thinking he was trying to make a run for it with a 100 + kg bike on his back

He was probably only trying to move it out of the way to a better spot as he wouldn't of known how long the ordeal of the hirer would have taken

True..but Major General Colonel Captain Thingymabob has bought into the action and states that Somchai Kickypsychopathyum has exceeded his remit and has bought Thailand into some form of disgrace-generally termed assaulting people in any other country.

Thereby silencing the usual discombobulated TV crew with their "Good kickers in-bad kickers out" mantra of chronic Chang/Singha/Leo induced infantalism for which there is no known cure.

12 hours ago, Confuscious said:

A tourist would not be given a bike in Australia, the USA or any civilised country.

In civilised countries, rental companies are required to control that the renter has ALL the required licenses before giving him a vehicle.

Only in Thailand they make a law where a tourist can rent a vehicle without having the proper licenses and being extorted money by the RTP as soon as the tourist leaves the rental shop.

Thailand is killing the goose with the golden eggs.

BTW, in EVERY civilised country, a taxi driver who kicks a person under police custody in the head, would not get away with a 500/1000 baht fine but would be now in the hospital with a lot of broken bones.

Taxi drivers are not cops and don't have the right to meddle in the tasks of the Police.

"Taxi drivers are not the cops" - I beg to disagree, afaik the cops and taxi mafia in pattaya are all owned by the same people.

On 18/05/2018 at 6:49 PM, SOTIRIOS said:

...you rent a bike...

...you leave a deposit...or passport...or both...

...you have not been informed about any necessary paperwork...how could you know...???

...they stop you....lock the bike....

...you get kicked in the head for good measure....

....are you expected to simply leave the bike in the street....be liable for its cost..and lose your deposit or passport...???

...nonsense...

...I guess he was trying to get it back to the shop....and someone should have arranged to help him do so...

...of course he did not want to simply leave it there...he had been duped this far...

Or, maybe, he [the German fella] didn't want to pay the fine for operating a vehicle without the proper driver's license... so he decides to leg it. 

21 hours ago, cedel said:
21 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

No-it's a permit.

That is all-as many posters have pointed out.Too many..far too many..far,far too many..

This is the problem with thinking that a translation is always correct.

This is the problem with thinking that "permis de conduire international" which google translates as "international driving license" is a correct translation. It is not 

A driving licence (English) is a licence that you have to take a test for and gives permission to drive different categories of vehicle.

An IDP (English) is an international driving permit (it is not a licence, it is not an international driving licence, there is no international driving licence) issued by the county that issued your real driving license.

An IDP by itself is worthless, it must be accompanied by a valid licence from the country that issued the IDP.

However long the date on the IDP it does not permit you to drive in Thailand for more than 90 days from your date of entry.

Canada has the English and French on its IDP IMG_4034.JPG.a3721c70b56f49dbbc675acd2fa9ddf1.JPG

Archived