Commandos raid home of French hacker and extortionist on Koh Samui

webfact

Commandos raid home of French hacker and extortionist on Koh Samui

92.jpg

Pictures (2): TNA

Heavily armed Thai commandos aided by French police raided the home of a French national in Mae Nam, Koh Samui earlier today.

A video showed a stunned and bespectacled Jonathan Verron being led for questioning by officers of the Crime Suppression Division.

He has been described as a dangerous foreign criminal who was a ringleader of a three person gang involved in hacking and extortion.

He had been hiding out in Thailand when the officers arrived with a search warrant from the Surat Thani court following representations made by the French police.

91.jpg

Two other suspects were previously arrested by the French authorities.

Seized along with the suspect were twenty items of electronic equipment believed to have been used in the commission of cyber crime and bank books.

There was also a quantity of compressed ganja found on the premises.

It is claimed that Mr Verron is the ringleader of a gang that hacked into a British financial institution then attempted to extort money by threatening to reveal the details of customers of that institution.

TNA said that Verron has connections with the "Dark Web" in matters such as drugs and war weapons.

Source: TNA

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-18

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TNA said that Verron has connections with the "Dark Web" in matters such as drugs and war weapons.

These are buzz words that are popular with the media these days.

Be careful of trial by media.

There is more to  this story than meets the eye.

5 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Imagine the embarrassment of being taken down by a bunch of guys with no underwear on !!

:tongue: 

Bit of a difference between going commando and doing commando I think........................:thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, mickymouse1 said:

Most in LOS R of a savory background /past.

This morning a Belg, this lunch time a Froggy I wonder what this evening will reveal?

I think that is rather a sweeping statement - I know at least two hundred people - don’t quite think any of them are gangsters.

By savory- does that mean they are quite tasty ? 

Good job done . 

I'm always wondering why the RTP (if they want to) is capable of locating and catching a criminal in no time. Mostly in a day after the crime. While in my country, most of those crimes are unsolved. Seems to me that there is a kind of informal human information network.

French cybercrime suspect arrested on Samui

By The Nation

64e17ff3944301085eb4b4177ed2486f.jpeg

Frenchman Jonathan Verron, an alleged leader of a hacker group that stole data from a British financial institution and demanded a ransom to keep it secure, was arrested on Koh Samui on Friday.

Crime Suppression Division Fifth Command and Technology Crime Suppression Division police had French embassy staff on hand when they raided a house in Tambon Mae Nam at 5am.

They seized a quantity of marijuana and 20 pieces of evidence, including a computer, phone and bank passbooks.

Verron, initially charged with possession of marijuana, is expected to be quickly extradited to France.

He is alleged to have hacked into the computer system of a British financial institution, stole its customers’ personal information and demanded a ransom in exchange for not making the information public.

His two alleged accomplices are in custody in France.

French police learned that Verron, who is also accused of somehow involving in the "Dark Web" which is a platform where narcotics and war weapons were often traded, was in hiding in Thailand.

Courts in Surat Thani and Nakhon Ratchasima issued search warrants. The Samui raid was simultaneous with searches of two houses in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Pak Chong district.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30345703

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-18

53 minutes ago, FannyMay said:

Why do you think the Police had no underwear on?

Going commando meaning: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Going Commando

So perhaps they had been trained by Scottish commandos. You don’t wear underwear when you’re dressed in kilts ... or at least that’s what the Scots like us to believe ?

1 hour ago, mickymouse1 said:

Most in LOS R of a savory background /past.

This morning a Belg, this lunch time a Froggy I wonder what this evening will reveal?

Maybe someone who is frightened to go by his real name ! mickymouse1? ???

1 hour ago, FannyMay said:

Why do you think the Police had no underwear on?

Bad choice of grammar by the poster,  but your comment is a bit obvious.

However, while I think the authorities did a good job here, it reeks a bit of overkill to me. Did they suspect that he was going to attack them with his computer? 

I'm guessing the French guy inconveniently forgot to hand out the weekly bribes ...OOPS...  I mean brown envelopes ... OOPS again...  I meant to say gifts to the local BiB before time ran out. 

Hmmm... time ran out?  Maybe he should have borrowed one of Mr. Piggy's beloved expensive timepieces to make sure he wasn't going to be late.  Oh well,  Frenchy will have plenty of 'time' to think about it now. SACREBLEU! :shock1::shock1::shock1:

Archived