After police slap on the wrist DLT comes down harder on motorcycle taxi guy who kicked tourist

rooster59

After police slap on the wrist DLT comes down harder on motorcycle taxi guy who kicked tourist

pattaya.JPG

Image: Daily News

The Pattaya motorcycle taxi rider faces more serious sanction from the Department of Land Transport than he got from the police.

Sunthorn Saengtham was caught on video kicking German Andreas Bauer in the face after a traffic stop outside the police station on beach road.

But the Thai was fined just 500 baht by the cops for the assault.

In a latest development yesterday DLT chief Sanit Phromwong said he would face thousands in fines - and he could even go to jail.

Sanit said that Sunthorn had no licence to operate a motorcycle taxi, was using a private unregistered vehicle for the purpose and besides was inappropriately dressed. 

He will have to pay up to 4,000 in fines for these offences and could even be jailed for a month for operating a "win" service without a licence. 

Sanit said that Sunthorn had let Thailand down and made the country look awful. He will go through the courts and be punished to the fullest extent of the law. 

He told motorcycle taxi riders in Pattaya and elsewhere - no more rip-offs, no more fighting and no more bad behavior - or else. 

He also commented on the rank at "View Talay Condo 6" who want to enlarge operations. This is under consideration but if riders take matters into their own hands and fail to follow the law they face having their licences removed.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-19

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Sanit said that Sunthorn had no licence to operate a motorcycle taxi, was using a private unregistered vehicle for the purpose and besides was inappropriately dressed.

Oh Dearie me. I bet he wishes now that he hadn't decided to "help" the police.

At the same time it makes you wonder, how as an unlicensed and unregistered taxi, he was able to operate right outside Soi9?

10 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

At the same time it makes you wonder, how as an unlicensed and unregistered taxi, he was able to operate right outside Soi9?

Happy to know where this kicking clown works.  Hopefully his illegal business suffers.

But I thought this happened in Jomtien?

A good response from the DLT... I hope they follow through, that news of this is circulated and acts as a preventative measure... 

Sadly, experience has taught us that after a Wai for the cameras there will be leniency from the 'nam-jai' guys at the DLT... They will have had their press bite, face will have been saved... Smiles all round... Well....except for the poor mug who had his face kicked in..

Most of these moto taxi guy and a dispeakble lot, thugs hailing from the poorest and god forsaken parts of the kingdom with no education and no respect to the other human beings, and virtually a few steps away from being in jail for all sorts of illegal activities... pity this guy evaded jail for assault and a big fine...

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A good response from the DLT... I hope they follow through, that news of this is circulated and acts as a preventative measure... 

Sadly, experience has taught us that after a Wai for the cameras there will be leniency from the 'nam-jai' guys at the DLT... They will have had their press bite, face will have been saved... Smiles all round... Well....except for the poor mug who had his face kicked in..

Hope you are wrong about DLT follow through.

Now we find out that the "kicking clown" had no license and was on an unregistered vehicle.  Does the German guy get to kick him now?  I mean at least twice for two offenses.

Problem with what DLT is doing is it distracts from the entire SCAM perpetrated by the police.  That is, change the rules, enforce immediately and impound vehicles to extort $'s from tourists.  Think about the tourists and how they'll lose not only the fine, but any and all deposits when they have NO vehicle to return.

Truly a well crafted and well executed SCAM!  

Westerners should be warned of the real dangers that exist in Thailand.

not suprised the Thai guy gets more heavy fine for the licence breaching only and no mention of the actual assault. 

lol. thats about right in Thailand.

Actually it would not suprise if police at the station were laughing with the Thai guy because he stupid enough to be fighting a farang wearing a helmet.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Not that difficult to figure out...

Tomorrows headlines: Army and DLT crackdown on unlicensed motor bike taxi's  ...Police noticeable by their absence.  

in an ideal society, Mr. Bauer should be able to sue both his attacker and the police for not doing their job. since TIT and justice is on the other end of the spectrum... 500 baht is more than enough to discourage muay thai wannabees to test their skills on any unsuspecting member of the public.

Where did the moto rider get that moto taxi vest from, I thought that they went with a license and that is the reason they have a number on them, so who's license is that vest attached to. Did he steal the vest? Maybe there needs to be a lot more checks by both the RTP and DLT on the licenses of these moto taxi's and the riders.

9 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

He told motorcycle taxi riders in Pattaya and elsewhere - no more rip-offs, no more fighting and no more bad behavior - or else. 

Tell him he is dreaming. Next!

"Or else.....or else......500 THB Fine For You!!!!!"  

<Thai taxi drivers are shakin' in their boots now!>

In a country where you can assault and batter anyone indiscriminately for the equivalent of approximately $15 USD, then indiscriminate assault and battery becomes the rule and not the exception.  There is essentially no deterrent value in the criminal legal system.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

RE - At the same time it makes you wonder, how as an unlicensed and unregistered taxi, he was able to operate right outside Soi9?

It is said that "what's closest is often the hardest to see"....:coffee1:

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Most of these moto taxi guy and a dispeakble lot, thugs hailing from the poorest and god forsaken parts of the kingdom with no education and no respect to the other human beings, and virtually a few steps away from being in jail for all sorts of illegal activities... pity this guy evaded jail for assault and a big fine...

"Most"? .. Nah..you are way out of line there fella. "A few" or, "some" would fit the description you give.... but definitely not "most"

So what happens now? Will the police at Soi9 check every moto taxi's license to save face by not doing their job properly and now having their name spread all over Thailand for being slack and not doing their job properly and will the officer that gave him a 500baht fine be moved to an inactive post or will the police wake up and do their jobs properly just to save face

4 hours ago, HLover said:

Cheers to him, hopefully he doesn't get transferred to an inactive post for doing his job.

Of course, shame on the 500 baht fine group of local law enforcement.

They need to keep to tradition. It's not a fine, just beer money. 

Archived