After police slap on the wrist DLT comes down harder on motorcycle taxi guy who kicked tourist

rooster59

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ChaoDangChard said:

This is the kind of response that is needed. Well done by the DLT chief, this at least sends a message that this behaviour is not acceptable. Applause for this

Agree, positively surprising and giving hope for future improvements....:clap2:

He will have to pay up to 4,000 in fines for these offences and could even be jailed for a month for operating a "win" service without a licence.

So he he could also not go to jail, and also not pay more than 1000 - 2000 baht, will wait for actual confirmation as to what was his actual punishment.

43 minutes ago, connda said:

"Or else.....or else......500 THB Fine For You!!!!!"  

<Thai taxi drivers are shakin' in their boots now!>

In a country where you can assault and batter anyone indiscriminately for the equivalent of approximately $15 USD, then indiscriminate assault and battery becomes the rule and not the exception.  There is essentially no deterrent value in the criminal legal system.

Unfortunately it’s not only Thailand where this is occurring read a report in the Australian press about a young immigrant in Melbourne who was on probation for an offence and arrested after kicking a policeman in the face 

Avoided going to jail and since been arrested for home invasion or similar.

Allof this within a relatively short period of time.

23 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

I don't know why farang love to wear those poxy helmets so much, you've got a better change of a Buddhist medallion saving your life than those things. If you're going to ride a bike in this nation, buy a half decent helmet of at least around 800baht 

it was a rental bike, the helmet came with the bike

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Oh Dearie me. I bet he wishes now that he hadn't decided to "help" the police.

At the same time it makes you wonder, how as an unlicensed and unregistered taxi, he was able to operate right outside Soi9?

That last line of your post is a question of the rhetorical type, right???

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Most of these moto taxi guy and a dispeakble lot, thugs hailing from the poorest and god forsaken parts of the kingdom with no education and no respect to the other human beings, and virtually a few steps away from being in jail for all sorts of illegal activities... pity this guy evaded jail for assault and a big fine...

My brother in law is a moto taxi driver in BKK has a commercial? License and is legit. But their are those out there that shall we say run a muck. 

1 hour ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

I don't know why farang love to wear those poxy helmets so much, you've got a better change of a Buddhist medallion saving your life than those things. If you're going to ride a bike in this nation, buy a half decent helmet of at least around 800baht 

"I don't know why farang love to wear those poxy helmets so much," 

Erm, possibly it came with the bike rental? And possibly because it's against the law not to wear a helmet while driving a motor bike - especially if you are a farang and are more likely than a Thai to have enough money in your wallet to pay the fine, and not ask for a receipt?

I guess he did deserve the middle finger. What a loser-good-samaritan-motocy-driver-cop wannabe. Four thousand bht would probably bust a lot of the cretins who are taxis. Screw him: total girl for kicking a tourist.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Oh Dearie me. I bet he wishes now that he hadn't decided to "help" the police.

At the same time it makes you wonder, how as an unlicensed and unregistered taxi, he was able to operate right outside Soi9?

Perhaps the BiB were all busy chasing ladies and lady-boys off the beach road.....right outside Soi 9 cop shop :whistling:

"Vigilantism" and  "Mob Law" are the rule of thumb for Thailand. Taking the law into their own hands may make a difference when an attempted murder or suicide is involved. But overall, this "Mob-law Justice" is an unacceptable part of the ugly underbelly of Thai society. This type of justice has been accepted because the perpetrators of these vigilante type actions, go virtually unpunished (eg. 500-1000 baht fines). (If a farlang were to act in the same manner by beating a Thai lawbreaker, the fines for such actions would undoubtedly be substantially greater. Most likely in the 5000-25000 baht range or maybe more and may include legal prosecution). Vigilantism is the order of the day here in Thailand ("The Land Of Smiles") no matter how wrong it is. Moreover, if the perpetrator happens to be a Farang lawbreaker then that's all the more reason for the thais to get "mobbed-up" so as to exact revenge and vent their hate and jealousy on the white scourge. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

The Thai should have received jail time (2-3 months) for Assault and Battery

Police should not be tasked with meting out punishment to any criminal offender. 

Leave it to The Courts to decide what to do with these barbarians..!

7 hours ago, Watchful said:

Hope you are wrong about DLT follow through.

Now we find out that the "kicking clown" had no license and was on an unregistered vehicle.  Does the German guy get to kick him now?  I mean at least twice for two offenses.

Problem with what DLT is doing is it distracts from the entire SCAM perpetrated by the police.  That is, change the rules, enforce immediately and impound vehicles to extort $'s from tourists.  Think about the tourists and how they'll lose not only the fine, but any and all deposits when they have NO vehicle to return.

Truly a well crafted and well executed SCAM!  

Westerners should be warned of the real dangers that exist in Thailand.

Spot on!!!

In the u.s. this guy would be doing some serious time, but this is tit, and Thais can get away with everything. road kill 100K.  Life here is not worth much,. Motor scooter people drive crazy at speeds that they could never stop  in and emergency, and you wonder why so many die

Sanit said that Sunthorn had no licence to operate a motorcycle taxi, was using a private unregistered vehicle for the purpose and besides was inappropriately dressed

how did the police miss this ????????????????????????

they were the ones going around checking this sort of stuff last year, so they must be the ones to enforce it.

4 hours ago, uffe123 said:

In the u.s. this guy would be doing some serious time, but this is tit, and Thais can get away with everything. road kill 100K.  Life here is not worth much,. Motor scooter people drive crazy at speeds that they could never stop  in and emergency, and you wonder why so many die

"but this is tit"

For your info,  "TIT" = "This Is Thailand" , so the above statement translates as "but this is this is thailand" 

Just saying! :smile:

Alcohol and drugs aside, many if these guys are persona non-grata in their mooban upcountry. They live, work and sleep on a corner. Their lives are lao Khao, snooker, cheap cigarettes and the rare sketchy hooker. Quite often they smell of alcohol while in the rank.

I've heard many had got some poor girl pregnant or even had families and simply bolted. Looking at this lot over the decades, it sounds about right.

There are some decent taxi drivers and tuk tuks are a hard working lot. But moto taxi drivers are sketchy AF.

Archived