VIDEO: Every landlord’s worst nightmare! Tenants from hell trash luxury Pattaya condo

rooster59

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Landlord should always place a property inspection clause in the lease agreement. That means with 24 hours or sufficient notice they can enter and check on the property. If you have a good relationship with your condo management, you can ask and detect early signs ..... bottom line renting property ALSO means managing your property.

14 minutes ago, car720 said:

May I ask, how many sisters you have or how many ex wives?

But you are totally right about the sub-humans.  I just wish there were a way to easily distinguish them.   My life would be much better.

Maybe you missed it but Jeremy50 had some distinguishing traits listed HERE.

To call that a pigsty is insulting to pigs.  How could one possible allow a place to get into that kind of a mess, let alone live in it.  It is almost so bad as to look staged, which I assume it is not?

42 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Looks like the outside garden of a normal Thai rural home,  disgusting upbringing with mega % of Thai.

I was going to say the same thing. Every time I go up country and visit someone's village I'm saddened by the amount of garbage strewn everywhere and people living in the middle of it. I have to stop myself from doing a massive cleanup each time because I know it won't do any good. Everyone will look at me like I have 3 heads (instead of two) and then realize they have all this nice clean yard to toss their garbage in. I've been to a couple of temples that were almost as bad. In one case in Sa Kaeo, I did convince the g/f to stop at a local store and I bought some gloves, whisk brooms and garbage bags and then went back and did a decent cleaning in the area around where her family "stupas" were set up. 2 large bags of garbage from an area maybe 3x4 meters, inside the temple compound. Scared to go back and see what condition the area is in now.

(In Pattaya, look around the sides of the "Big Buddha" temple in Pattaya and you'd almost think the place was built on a garbage heap. Last time I was up there, there must have been at least 2 pick-up loads of trash (mostly bottles, plastic bags and styrofoam containers).

Some telling signs from the video (besides the condom wrapper on the bed) - there is a decent kitchen with sink, stove and counters yet it seems they were cooking and doing the dishes "village style" on the balcony. Bags of garbage all over. The "wash bucket" on the floor of the bathroom.

(A neighbour in the village I'm in had his mom come stay for awhile. They have a large clay pot under the rain gutter on the soi to catch water. Despite having a normal bathroom in their house, the mom used to go outside on the soi in the early morning and bath "Thai style" using a small bowl and the rain water from the large pot. It took a couple weeks before she finally started using the bathroom inside the house (for bathing). Probably because the other neighbours had a word with her.

I wonder if the tenants were paying the utility bills or is the owner going to get stuck with those as well ?

An old friend back in Canada does property management as her profession. She started out doing it as her parents were realtors and often ended up with properties they could rent out when sales were slow. She has a few horror stories as well. A co-worker of mine in Afghanistan was renting out his second house in Canada and got screwed twice in a row by tenants that would move in, pay the first (and last) month's rent and then nothing more and then just disappear when the utilities were cut off because they weren't paying those bills either.

Another guy's girlfriend had a nice little ranch in British Columbia. She rented it out to a small family (man, wife, 2 kids). They paid rent for 2 months and then stopped. She tried to get them evicted but the courts said no because it was almost winter time and they might have a hard time finding another place !! She was screwed and the tenants knew it and come next spring they up and disappeared and she got screwed again trying to clean/fix the place. The courts ? Useless. The police ? Even more useless.

So it's not just in this "world class family resort" that you'll find bad tenants.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

and there is not you can do to safeguard such outcomes from happening to anyone...

...except that the landlords or their agents could maybe visit the premises they are letting every few months or so.

Get to know your letters and this should not happen.  You can kick them out as soon as you see the signs and fixing broken stuff it not one of them.  Cheap fixtures and old stuff eventually falls apart when used. As someone mentioned, many condos are lego-builds and furnished.  This is an extreme negligence case though and disgraceful. It looks like a Rugby team got loose in it for an hour after a night out on the piss!

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The reason I burnt all my bridges and sold my house in Australia before moving to Thailand. I didn't need the headache of non-payers, vandals etc if I'd decided to rent my house.

I'm with you on that, I did the same.  I had totally renovated my property to a very high standard, maybe overcapitalisation unfortunately, but a change of circumstances required a move to somewhere with a lower cost of living.  Rather than rent out my property, I decided to cut my losses.  I couldn't face the prospect of something similar happening.  I am glad I did, no sleepless nights wondering what might be happening to a place I had lovingly and expensively, renovated. 

2 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

Get to know your letters and this should not happen.  You can kick them out as soon as you see the signs and fixing broken stuff it not one of them.  Cheap fixtures and old stuff eventually falls apart when used. As someone mentioned, many condos are lego-builds and furnished.  This is an extreme negligence case though and disgraceful. It looks like a Rugby team got loose in it for an hour after a night out on the piss!

A rugby team, I take exception to that, how about a football/soccer team.  555 

In reality sure its a mess but when all the stuff is picked up it is not so bad , yes  clean reset the bed  and  micro clean the areas where liquids have been spilt . I think the initial shock is far greater than the actual damage as I had the same done to me only in Western countries we had carpet which had to be replaced but apart from all the rubbish and shit which can be picked up and disposed of there is nothing that can't realy be easily fixed , sofa curtains fridge ....what else . Peraps the landlord will be more astute to the quality of his tennant . Admittedly 30k is off the wall .I had a 3 bed with 3 ensuite 9k /mth . 20 but be creeping up but 30k can rent a whole house !!! 30k for that small refined space obvious they were oblivious to the thousands of rental bargains out there. Perhaps the tennants were expecting  a rubbish removal service that they thought came with the letting! 

1 hour ago, Jimbo53 said:

My mate rented his house out to a Thai bird from Bangkok a few years back, when he came back from a 2 week trip to the UK the house was stripped bard..all A/c's,Kitchen units etc etc..all gone in the back of a removal van,after giving the police details of the registration etc..they said to him they could get his stuff back if he paid 20,000bht...he never paid...and never got it back.

Yes, my main reason to rent to falang only.  Police won't chase after Thai but will a falang. Falang can be as messy and vindictive as any race but in Thailand they have a tightly gripped hand around the nuts.

13 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Looks to me like it has been used as a drugs den. I'd say falsely rented out and then dealers moved in. Either that or someone that was wanted by the police. I think there is more to this than a bad tenant ! 

in my life i have had the sad experience of seeing a loved one deteriorate from alcoholism, her apartment looked very similar to the one in this story.

alcohol, kills 4x as many people as all illegal drugs combined.

I feel for any legitimate landlord for faces this situation, so if this landlord is a decent guy, good luck to him in getting any police assistance.

Scenario 2: 

Tenant says she's leaving.

Landlord says that she'll have to wait 3 months for return of deposit after she leaves.

Tenant trashes the condo in lieu of rent and scarpers.

Don't say scenario 2 doesn't happen, because it does; I know 2 seperate guys that this has happened to.

The landlord can report anything he wants, but unless the tenants come forward, the truth will never be known.

A friend of mine had aircon fitted in a condo when he moved-in.  He stayed 1 year.  The landlord refused to give him the deposit back because he said it would cost him money to have the aircon removed.  My friend said he would get it taken-out, but the landlord refused.  Unfortunately, my friend was moving that same day, so the landlord kept the deposit and got a free aircon.

Filthy pigs,no doubt, but the 2 months deposit should cover a team of housekeepers and a few new fittings here and there.

Whats a luxury condo in Pattaya anyway ? Most of those apartments or units are made of cheap materials and fittings.

30K  a month. Crazy.  I rent  4 storey shop house with  a/c and modern bathrooms for  a quarter of that. And its very cool in the hot season.

55 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Mortifying. I feel for them, but unfortunately some people are absolute pigs. Surely learning how to spot danger signs at the interview stage is the answer. If I did have an expensive property to rent out, which I don't; the following applicants would be immediately ruled out with extreme prejudice.

1. People who are improperly dressed, wife beaters, tank tops etc etc.

how can you detect a wife beater at a flat rental interview?

some people dress very casual, especially in hot climates. 

in pattaya i'd be suspicious of a potential renter appearing in a suit and tie rather than a tank top and flip flops

2. People who are badly groomed, dirty hair, unshaven etc.

god forbid those who dont shave or wash their hair every day

3. Overly obese people. Obviously, they have discipline issues.

normally obese ok then?  might also read obesity as having the money to eat alot and also having money enough to pay rent

4. People with visible tattoos. Don't even respect themselves.

personally not a tattoo fan but there are some highly successful people with visible tattoos.  nba superstars just as one example

5. People who don't have a regular job. That's going to work in a shirt and tie at 7am, not going to work in underwear at 7pm.

is this applicable to pattaya??   i used to go to work in pajamas at 7pm

6. People without excellent references.

pattaya ??  really

7. People with large families. Nightmare.

assume you do a genealogy search

8. Single mum with daughter ok. Single dad with 'daughter', no.

why no to single dad?

9. Smokers.  Disgusting.

agree on this one. damages walls and everything in flat and is a fire hazard

10. Also, take a good look at their car. Is it clean inside, washed, waxed and well maintained? A good sign.

you require maintenance records for the car? some people work long long hours and cannot make the cosmetics of their car first priority

2 hours ago, bsdthai said:

What kind of idiot pays 30k for a condo per month? Im amazed how people know the cost of everything but value of nothing. Meaning the costs to build these snap together condos is next to nothing per condo. Chicks probably a drug dealer/user.

An idiot who became wise and got pissed off...

the landlord sounds like a real sore loser here. Lesson learned.

21 minutes ago, jimcarr65 said:

30,000 Baht  month and luxury condo? This place looks to be about 50sqm at best. Something does not add up here. 

And estimated at 10 millions bahts ?

Look closer at the video, it looks like a 1 bedroom 70-80sqm at Cosy Beach (we can see Kho Larn on the right) with balcony and sea view. Well decorated but not "luxury".

My estimation is around 6-6.5 millions bahts BUT the landlord should have rent his property at the market price = +/- the price of annual common fees = around 45,000 bahts

AND he should have asked for 2 months deposit. A deposit of 90,000 bahts would have covered all the cleaning / repairs/ rental not paid.

The landlord had also to take a photocopy of the passport.

For landlords who are scared to be paid late, you can add penalties on your contract. For instance after 5 days late, 1000 bahts/day, that's a common practice in Bangkok.

9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Luckily there is still one month deposit allowed

The new law is only for guesthouses or service appartments, only for landlords that own and rent at least 5 properties.

About condos fully furnished in european standard nothing has changed, deposit = 2 months.

That 2 months deposit rule will never change for the furnished condos, that case shows exactly why 1 month is not enough.

4 minutes ago, Sprigger said:

Normal Thai living conditions, but of coarse they have to throw the western boyfriend into the equation it’s all down to him as usual. 

You need to move in better circles if you think that is normal for Thais.

1 hour ago, Jeremy50 said:

Mortifying. I feel for them, but unfortunately some people are absolute pigs. Surely learning how to spot danger signs at the interview stage is the answer. If I did have an expensive property to rent out, which I don't; the following applicants would be immediately ruled out with extreme prejudice.

1. People who are improperly dressed, wife beaters, tank tops etc etc.

2. People who are badly groomed, dirty hair, unshaven etc.

3. Overly obese people. Obviously, they have discipline issues.

4. People with visible tattoos. Don't even respect themselves.

5. People who don't have a regular job. That's going to work in a shirt and tie at 7am, not going to work in underwear at 7pm.

6. People without excellent references.

7. People with large families. Nightmare.

8. Single mum with daughter ok. Single dad with 'daughter', no.

9. Smokers.  Disgusting.

10. Also, take a good look at their car. Is it clean inside, washed, waxed and well maintained? A good sign.

You have nothing so no need to insult all sorts of people, says more about your character then about the people in your list.

1 hour ago, Jimbo53 said:

My mate rented his house out to a Thai bird from Bangkok a few years back, when he came back from a 2 week trip to the UK the house was stripped bard..all A/c's,Kitchen units etc etc..all gone in the back of a removal van,after giving the police details of the registration etc..they said to him they could get his stuff back if he paid 20,000bht...he never paid...and never got it back.

The cost to replace just 2 a/c units would be more than 20,000 so I would have paid the momey to the cops. It would have been cheaper in the long term.

It might be wrong but it would be a bit like claiming on an insurance policy.

Archived