VIDEO: Every landlord’s worst nightmare! Tenants from hell trash luxury Pattaya condo

rooster59

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

I feel for any legitimate landlord for faces this situation, so if this landlord is a decent guy, good luck to him in getting any police assistance.

Scenario 2: 

Tenant says she's leaving.

Landlord says that she'll have to wait 3 months for return of deposit after she leaves.

Tenant trashes the condo in lieu of rent and scarpers.

Don't say scenario 2 doesn't happen, because it does; I know 2 seperate guys that this has happened to.

The landlord can report anything he wants, but unless the tenants come forward, the truth will never be known.

A friend of mine had aircon fitted in a condo when he moved-in.  He stayed 1 year.  The landlord refused to give him the deposit back because he said it would cost him money to have the aircon removed.  My friend said he would get it taken-out, but the landlord refused.  Unfortunately, my friend was moving that same day, so the landlord kept the deposit and got a free aircon.

He shouldn't have fitted the aircon in without permission of the owner and a deal what to do with it when he leaves to start with.

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He shouldn't have fitted the aircon in without permission of the owner and a deal what to do with it when he leaves to start with.

Exactly. The common practice is to share 50/50 between the tenant and the landlord. People have to think before shit happens.

3 hours ago, bsdthai said:

What kind of idiot pays 30k for a condo per month? Im amazed how people know the cost of everything but value of nothing. Meaning the costs to build these snap together condos is next to nothing per condo. Chicks probably a drug dealer/user.

The owner paid 10M, 30K or 420K per year is not much of a return on your money.

A typical 30K condo is a far cry from a 10K condo in many ways.

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

rentals...when its going good, its great ,when it goes south ...it can be a nightmare

Only rental niche that works here is if you can buy for 1M and rent for 10K. Supply and demand and its a renters market. Buying a condo here is a bad investment, period. I understand people want their own place but here the price is too high if you end up having to rent your place out. Just do the math.

1 hour ago, fimo said:

And estimated at 10 millions bahts ?

Look closer at the video, it looks like a 1 bedroom 70-80sqm at Cosy Beach (we can see Kho Larn on the right) with balcony and sea view. Well decorated but not "luxury".

My estimation is around 6-6.5 millions bahts BUT the landlord should have rent his property at the market price = +/- the price of annual common fees = around 45,000 bahts

AND he should have asked for 2 months deposit. A deposit of 90,000 bahts would have covered all the cleaning / repairs/ rental not paid.

The landlord had also to take a photocopy of the passport.

For landlords who are scared to be paid late, you can add penalties on your contract. For instance after 5 days late, 1000 bahts/day, that's a common practice in Bangkok.

Lucky to get half that much in Cozy Beach. There are at least 10,000 condos for rent in Patty.

22 hours ago, bsdthai said:

What kind of idiot pays 30k for a condo per month? Im amazed how people know the cost of everything but value of nothing. Meaning the costs to build these snap together condos is next to nothing per condo. Chicks probably a drug dealer/user.

lots of people pay 30,000 + for condo rental--it says it was a 'luxury ' condo..

many condos in naklua area rent for 2-3 times that amount---usualy corporate people, but that doesnt make them an 'idiot'----think again???

being  a landlord in the 'western world' is even worse than this story------BUT REGULAR INSPECTIONS is the key..and substantial deposit/bond for security....

as soon as the rent is one day late--it should be followed up..

41 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

The owner paid 10M, 30K or 420K per year is not much of a return on your money.

A typical 30K condo is a far cry from a 10K condo in many ways.

nah....the owner claim to think its worth 10 million,

but market value might be entirely different,

i've seen much better and at a much better location

where the owner wanted 4.5 million, and 25k/month in rent.

i think the tenant overpaid horribly here

6 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Lucky to get half that much in Cozy Beach. There are at least 10,000 condos for rent in Patty.

But certainly not that figure in good & quite locations with sea view.

Also dont forget that the market is changing, thai population around Banglamung is booming and more and more thai people can aford a 15-20,000 bahts/month rental (but they prefer to rent a house).

... and if the chinese will really start to invade Thailand and Pattaya, what will happen ?

Some people really need to learn how to read.

The owner rented the condo to "a woman and her two daughters" - NOT TO A FOREIGNER.

I highly doubt anyone would expect a THAI woman to "show her passport" or "TM-30" when renting a condo in HER own country.

However, there should have been some kind of lease agreement, and perhaps a photocopy of the woman's THAI ID card. As well, how was the rent being paid initially ? Bank transfer ? Then there'd be records of who made the payments (and therefore a name/address/etc). I doubt she was collecting the rent in cash every month.

When I was renting a house a few years ago, every year I sat down with the landlord (in the house) and signed a new lease agreement and paid the next year's rent. I made sure they had a key to the place in the event something happened while I was away and in the 3 years I was there, not a single problem of any kind. When I moved out I even hired a professional cleaning company to give the place a "deep clean" and had the drapes/curtains cleaned as well (and they gave my deposit back without question). 

From the sounds of it, the owner rented the place to "a woman and her two daughters" a couple years ago and never went back until the rent stopped coming in.
She could also be overstating the value of the condo (and the amount of the rent) in order to generate more attention. If she had insurance and tried to make a claim, the insurance adjusters would probably know the true value of the place and what it would really rent for.

I worked with a Brit/Thai couple who would leave a rental like that.  Admittedly I doubt they lived like that but thats how they would leave it and with months of rent owing as well.....every time!  He was a lazy layabout cockney and she was Thai but spent her early years in England.  She was a chronic liar and scammer, so much so that she was considered a great asset by the hierarchy of our school.  She actually ended up as head coordinator for a while until her incompetence became greater than her ability to lie and scam for the school (and herself of course).  But the cornerstone of this corrupt couple and their success at scams were there kids...they started off with 5 living with them.  They seemed to be able to hide behind them and use them as an excuse.

In the over 10 years I worked with them they had done approx 12 to 14 midnight runners, maybe more??  They would move into a place, often with money borrowed from anybody around the school and would pay their rent promptly for quite a few months until they seemed to find some kind of comfort zone.  They, mainly her, seemed to spend a lot of money on clothes and toys (latest phones, flick knives, knuckle dusters, electronic gadgets etc) and she having a shoe collection that would put Imelda Marcos to shame.  So they always looked quite respectable so long as she didnt open her mouth...a veritable fish wife!  Then end of each month there there would be this flurry to borrow money using all sorts of excuses but mainly sob stories regarding the kids..school fees, braces, medications etc etc.  This woman could turn on the waterworks at the drop of the hat.  Most people would run if approached near the end of the month.  Unfortunately some of the newer teachers were still green and fell for it.  Next thing you know they have moved again and the cycle would start again.  We would drive past the previous residence same day on our way home and you could tell it was a quick retreat....there was <deleted> everywhere....packing boxes and old clothes strewn out the door and in the driveway, windows and doors open...just a mess. 

Funny thing was that virtually no-one ever came looking for them.  Only one time an irate Thai came to the front reception screaming for her and his money.  Security merely led him to the gate to wait till after school.  One time they tried to borrow money saying someone broke in to their house and stole all their passports (only) even those for the kids.  Obviously they must have been given as collateral for some back rent and they decided cheaper to replace than pay back rent.  One time they rented a huge mansion in a compound right next to the school, not 200 mts away, saying they were going to buy it and were waiting on their bank...and they did the same thing.  But funny, once again no-one came looking for them.  No-one could understand how they got away with it every time.  Only conclusion anybody could come up with was that they got away with it because of so many kids...no landlord wanted to inherit the bad karma from evicting the kids or reporting the parents thus creating suffering for the kids.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Been there,our tenants did not only leave a mess,but stole,all

the curtains,3 teak doors,all remotes for A/C,for the electric gate,

the security deposit did not cover the cost to put everything right,

so anyone thinking having  rental properties ,is just about collecting

rent every month,should think again,you are just waiting for the phone

call something else has broken,been blocked,etc,etc.

regards worgeordie

Those dirty farangs.lol

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

He did have permission!  That's the point!

5 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Being a Landlord requires frequent house checks as well as collecting rent. From my past experience lack of monthly checks can be expensive when tenants remove furnishings and destroy fixtures. 

Monthly checks?

Why not weekly?

Or daily?

And of course on the spot?

And own keys for the inspector?

Ever heard about privacy?

If you rent out property you take a huge risk, which is part of the business.

46 minutes ago, essox essox said:

what about tm 30 at Immigration??

This should give names of the tennant

The tenants were not farangs, it was a Thai woman and her daughters

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A landlord was left in utter shock after discovering tenants had turned their luxury condo in Pattaya into something resembling a rubbish dump - and then disappeared without a trace.

Maybe this tenant knew that in Thailand it's nearby impossible to ge the deposit back.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Been there,our tenants did not only leave a mess,but stole,all

the curtains,3 teak doors,all remotes for A/C,for the electric gate,

the security deposit did not cover the cost to put everything right,

so anyone thinking having  rental properties ,is just about collecting

rent every month,should think again,you are just waiting for the phone

call something else has broken,been blocked,etc,etc.

regards worgeordie

Thanks for posting that information.

I have a friend who is a land lord back in the states, even with a background check he still winds up with trashy people or the ones who think they know more about the law than him.

The worst are his commercial renters who put off paying him to pay for remodel and move d few months later.

24 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Monthly checks?

Why not weekly?

Or daily?

And of course on the spot?

And own keys for the inspector?

Ever heard about privacy?

If you rent out property you take a huge risk, which is part of the business.

Even in Thailand you cannot just walk in once rented it is theirs, you have to give notice of visit

1 minute ago, moe666 said:

Even in Thailand you cannot just walk in once rented it is theirs, you have to give notice of visit

I had a case in Australia where I was renting and everything was paid on time and the agent said that they wanted to do an inspection and I told them that I would be away at that time and that I would be back 3 days later and the agent told me that it was no problem that they would use the spare keys so I told them that if anything went missing I would call the police and have the person that entered the house charged with theft. The inspection was done the day after I returned home, no problem with the inspection.

If they enter your rented house while you are not there, all you need to do is tell the police that something has been stolen and then it is up to the agent to prove that they did not take the item.

Here in Thailand I was renting a condo and when it was time for me to move out after 6 months the manager said that she would use the 7000baht deposit for cleaning and my wife stepped in and demanded that she come to the condo and inspect it and then return my deposit because my wife had washed the floors and everything was cleaner than when we moved in but the manager said it was policy that when people moved out that the deposit is kept for cleaning purposes, my wife said no way either return the deposit or she would call the police and the smart manager said go ahead and call the police so my wife did and they did turn up and my wife explained to them and the manager did return my deposit, all 7000baht of it.

You have good and bad in both landlords and tenants, the same as you have good and bad in both Thai's and farang's

3 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Doubtful Plod could work it out if the tenants walked in the station themselves and announced their own actions, I dont have a great deal of faith in this system...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I think this could be pushing it a bit for the plod on a good day. :thumbsup:

ite shoelace.jpg

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

how can you detect a wife beater at a flat rental interview?

some people dress very casual, especially in hot climates. 

in pattaya i'd be suspicious of a potential renter appearing in a suit and tie rather than a tank top and flip flops

god forbid those who dont shave or wash their hair every day

normally obese ok then?  might also read obesity as having the money to eat alot and also having money enough to pay rent

personally not a tattoo fan but there are some highly successful people with visible tattoos.  nba superstars just as one example

is this applicable to pattaya??   i used to go to work in pajamas at 7pm

pattaya ??  really

assume you do a genealogy search

why no to single dad?

agree on this one. damages walls and everything in flat and is a fire hazard

you require maintenance records for the car? some people work long long hours and cannot make the cosmetics of their car first priority

i look forward to op rebuttal to my points.

is tvf not the place for intellectual debate-discourse?

Archived