VIDEO: Every landlord’s worst nightmare! Tenants from hell trash luxury Pattaya condo

rooster59

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, markpbfree said:

OMG, what kind of people live like that?  Absolutely disgusting

They were Thais I believe. I have visited some village Thai houses that looked similar , although not as bad as this. 

Sorry for the condo owner.

But as a locksmith I have seen far worse, worst and it is on the rise is the scum who rent and convert the property to a cannabis farm, they knock holes in the walls,floors and ceilings, rip out the wiring, bypass the electric meters, rip out all the internal doors, and the police will have probably smashed in the font and back doors.

I certainly would not buy to let, in the UK it often takes over six months for a landlord to get a possession order, and if they try to short cut the legal system it can take over 2 years to get a none paying/bad tenant out.

5 hours ago, connda said:

I'm always amazed that there are actually people out there that look relatively 'normal' but border on sub-human.  I can't fathom voluntarily living in conditions like that, no less creating that condition for yourself in the first place.  Nasty! 
I hope the condo owner is successful in catching and prosecuting whoever did that to their property.  Sad.  :sad:

My Thai wife would if I didn't keep on her back!

5 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

My mate rented his house out to a Thai bird from Bangkok a few years back, when he came back from a 2 week trip to the UK the house was stripped bard..all A/c's,Kitchen units etc etc..all gone in the back of a removal van,after giving the police details of the registration etc..they said to him they could get his stuff back if he paid 20,000bht...he never paid...and never got it back.

So maybe for the cost of one air conditioner, your mate wrote it all off?

The RTP do need an incentive to do their job but if it was only about 20% of the total cost of lost goods, I don't see why he gave up so easily. Did he even try to negotiate? And how about the security deposit?... there was a security deposit wasn't there?

One question is how does a single Thai mother with 2 daughters afford to pay 30,000baht per month for a condo? My wife works at a good job and she only earns 22,000baht per month

My partner and I have done 5 condo rentals in Pattaya.  Two tenants were great.  The first was a young, single Thai female pharmacist. Rent always right on time, condo kept immaculate, no problems at all.  We sold the condo after a year but she continues as the tenant with the new owner, who we keep in touch with, and she continues to be great. 

The other great tenant was a young, single Japanese man, employed by one of the Japanese companies.  His rent was paid by the company, always early, and we had no problems with the tenant during the year we owned the condo at The Base.  Condo was a bit messy but fine otherwise when the new owner inspected it before the sale.  No guarantees on anything but I think getting a corporate tenant like this can reduce some rental risks as the tenant might not want to get in trouble with his company by trashing the condo.

Two tenants, a Russian couple and a young, British man, weren't great but weren't awful.  The Russians left the condo in better condition than the British man, who, apparently did not clean once in the 10 months he rented and managed to ruin the sofa and dining chairs, and damaged the wood floors.

By far the worst was a young, single Thai woman.  She got behind in her rent, did not answer her phone, and we finally had to go in and clean the place out and leave the stuff for her to pick up.  She had left the place filthy, balcony doors wide open, uncovered food out, and the refrigerator door open. There were bugs everywhere and maggots and spoiled food in the refrigerator, which we ended up replacing as it smelled so bad.  She had so much stuff in the condo we could only partially open the door and we literally had to climb over stuff to get in.  When we packed her stuff up it took 15 extra large heavy-duty garbage bags, plus her large suitcases, duffel bags, and some moving boxes--and all this in a small 1 bedroom condo!  A not fun all day job, even with cleaning staff to help us.

So our best and worst tenants were 2 young Thai single women.  The good tenant had a responsible job, the other one worked at a bar.  I suppose we could have had an opposite outcome where the bar girl was the better tenant but that wasn't the case.  Currently not doing rentals as the rental condos we had were sold.

7 hours ago, markpbfree said:

OMG, what kind of people live like that?  Absolutely disgusting.

6 hours ago, connda said:

I'm always amazed that there are actually people out there that look relatively 'normal' but border on sub-human.  I can't fathom voluntarily living in conditions like that, no less creating that condition for yourself in the first place.  Nasty! 
I hope the condo owner is successful in catching and prosecuting whoever did that to their property.  Sad.  :sad:

I rented a condo for 4 months  north of Pattaya the owner was American, he came with his Thai wife once a week for an inspection. Which I would have  expected him to do, I would if I was renting my condo.

36 minutes ago, newnative said:

My partner and I have done 5 condo rentals in Pattaya.  Two tenants were great.  The first was a young, single Thai female pharmacist. Rent always right on time, condo kept immaculate, no problems at all.  We sold the condo after a year but she continues as the tenant with the new owner, who we keep in touch with, and she continues to be great. 

The other great tenant was a young, single Japanese man, employed by one of the Japanese companies.  His rent was paid by the company, always early, and we had no problems with the tenant during the year we owned the condo at The Base.  Condo was a bit messy but fine otherwise when the new owner inspected it before the sale.  No guarantees on anything but I think getting a corporate tenant like this can reduce some rental risks as the tenant might not want to get in trouble with his company by trashing the condo.

Two tenants, a Russian couple and a young, British man, weren't great but weren't awful.  The Russians left the condo in better condition than the British man, who, apparently did not clean once in the 10 months he rented and managed to ruin the sofa and dining chairs, and damaged the wood floors.

By far the worst was a young, single Thai woman.  She got behind in her rent, did not answer her phone, and we finally had to go in and clean the place out and leave the stuff for her to pick up.  She had left the place filthy, balcony doors wide open, uncovered food out, and the refrigerator door open. There were bugs everywhere and maggots and spoiled food in the refrigerator, which we ended up replacing as it smelled so bad.  She had so much stuff in the condo we could only partially open the door and we literally had to climb over stuff to get in.  When we packed her stuff up it took 15 extra large heavy-duty garbage bags, plus her large suitcases, duffel bags, and some moving boxes--and all this in a small 1 bedroom condo!  A not fun all day job, even with cleaning staff to help us.

So our best and worst tenants were 2 young Thai single women.  The good tenant had a responsible job, the other one worked at a bar.  I suppose we could have had an opposite outcome where the bar girl was the better tenant but that wasn't the case.  Currently not doing rentals as the rental condos we had were sold.

This is incorrect information regarding the minimum rent term.  It is illegal to rent a condo for less than a month--it is in violation of the Thai Hotel Act.  In addition, you would be violating the law by working without a valid work permit--you can't get a work permit for an illegal activity.  Plus, you would likely also be violating your condo's by-laws--most have by-laws prohibiting short-term rentals.  Many large condos are now posting notices explaining the Thai Hotel Act and informing their residents that rentals of less than a month are illegal.  But, the OP plans to rent for 3 months so he should be ok.

Just a question, you were obviously investors renting as a job to make money just as one who invests in hotel/guesthouse, no difference. Did you have a Work Permit as required. It seems to me you maybe in violation. The way the law is written even renting once would seem to be a violation, making it a livelihood it seems certain.

8 hours ago, bsdthai said:

What kind of idiot pays 30k for a condo per month? Im amazed how people know the cost of everything but value of nothing. Meaning the costs to build these snap together condos is next to nothing per condo. Chicks probably a drug dealer/user.

Yes i see a lot drug users rent 30.000b condo's :smile:

In my country it is required to have a written report inspection every 90 days in order to have valid insurance on tenanted residential properties. (Fear of manufacturing Ya Ba which poisons the appt and sometimes the whole building.  That aspect is not a problem here as it is all kindly made in Burma so people living in Thailand do not have to make it themselves .)  In addition to that 90 day visit on every my business partner on all his ground level appts does the lawns personally or has a family member do them so he gets a close-up at leas every 2 - 4 weeks on most of them and every 90 days on the rest.  However in mosrt western countries, apartment/condo  management are much more active and hands on than here and in most decent appt blocks, anything out of the ordinary would get a phone call to the owner.  I wonder how long after the rent stopped  did thew owner get round there.  Renting is a potentially high risk business anywhere.    Usually nothing goes wrong but if it does it can be VERY expensive!   I also have considerable experience in renting and do not think I would like to be a landlord (particularly a Falang landlord) in Thailand

40 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

This is incorrect information regarding the minimum rent term.  It is illegal to rent a condo for less than a month--it is in violation of the Thai Hotel Act.  In addition, you would be violating the law by working without a valid work permit--you can't get a work permit for an illegal activity.  Plus, you would likely also be violating your condo's by-laws--most have by-laws prohibiting short-term rentals.  Many large condos are now posting notices explaining the Thai Hotel Act and informing their residents that rentals of less than a month are illegal.  But, the OP plans to rent for 3 months so he should be ok.

Just a question, you were obviously investors renting as a job to make money just as one who invests in hotel/guesthouse, no difference. Did you have a Work Permit as required. It seems to me you maybe in violation. The way the law is written even renting once would seem to be a violation, making it a livelihood it seems certain.

I didn't realize at first that the initial paragraph in your reply is a quote from one of my posts.  The condos my partner and I were  renting were all long-term rentals.  We have never done short-term--illegal.  All were for 1 year except the British man's, which was for 6 months with option to continue, which he did, for 10 months.  Rentals of over 1 month are legal for condos.  The law considers that you are not operating a hotel if you are renting for 1 month or more so there is a difference between investing in a hotel/guesthouse and buying a condo to rent out on a long-term basis.  In the former, you are operating a business.

As far as I know, I don't think you need a work permit to rent out your own condo as long as it is rented long-term and not operated as a short-term rental, viewed as doing a business as a hotel and in violation of the Hotel Act.  In any case, my Thai partner actually does most of the work and management of the condo rentals when we do them.

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

If they enter your rented house while you are not there, all you need to do is tell the police that something has been stolen and then it is up to the agent to prove that they did not take the item.

You are talking about Australia are you?   In which case, you are completely wrong.

In a case of theft, the prosecution (police) bears the onus of proof beyond reasonable doubt.   The defence (accused) does not have to prove anything.

3 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

You are talking about Australia are you?   In which case, you are completely wrong.

In a case of theft, the prosecution (police) bears the onus of proof beyond reasonable doubt.   The defence (accused) does not have to prove anything.

I have had it happen, so I am talking from experience

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I had a case in Australia where I was renting and everything was paid on time and the agent said that they wanted to do an inspection and I told them that I would be away at that time and that I would be back 3 days later and the agent told me that it was no problem that they would use the spare keys so I told them that if anything went missing I would call the police and have the person that entered the house charged with theft. The inspection was done the day after I returned home, no problem with the inspection.

If they enter your rented house while you are not there, all you need to do is tell the police that something has been stolen and then it is up to the agent to prove that they did not take the item.

Here in Thailand I was renting a condo and when it was time for me to move out after 6 months the manager said that she would use the 7000baht deposit for cleaning and my wife stepped in and demanded that she come to the condo and inspect it and then return my deposit because my wife had washed the floors and everything was cleaner than when we moved in but the manager said it was policy that when people moved out that the deposit is kept for cleaning purposes, my wife said no way either return the deposit or she would call the police and the smart manager said go ahead and call the police so my wife did and they did turn up and my wife explained to them and the manager did return my deposit, all 7000baht of it.

You have good and bad in both landlords and tenants, the same as you have good and bad in both Thai's and farang's

and in your case - a Wife that couldn't, wouldn't be intimidated..........Cheers. 

I had somthing like that almost happen to me, only rented for 3 months (paid up front) until my condo was ready to move in, landlord showed me a piece of paper stapled to my rental agreement, somthing to the effect to get the deposit back, he had to have 3 months notice - I showed him mine that says my rental agreement was month to month, with 2 weeks notice.  He scratched his head, asked his son where that piece of paper came from, slapped him off the side of his head called him 'Mai Mi Samong' and gave me the deposit back, made his son help me load the truck to move.  The father prided himself in being an honest building owner,  and the son embarrassed him by trying to make a few baht cheating me.  I still drop by from time to time to buy the landlord a beer or two and chat, have directed a few short term rentals his way as well.  There are some good people in this country, more so than bad.

14 minutes ago, newnative said:

I didn't realize at first that the initial paragraph in your reply is a quote from one of my posts.  The condos my partner and I were  renting were all long-term rentals.  We have never done short-term--illegal.  All were for 1 year except the British man's, which was for 6 months with option to continue, which he did, for 10 months.  Rentals of over 1 month are legal for condos.  The law considers that you are not operating a hotel if you are renting for 1 month or more so there is a difference between investing in a hotel/guesthouse and buying a condo to rent out on a long-term basis.  In the former, you are operating a business.

As far as I know, I don't think you need a work permit to rent out your own condo as long as it is rented long-term and not operated as a short-term rental, viewed as doing a business as a hotel and in violation of the Hotel Act.  In any case, my Thai partner actually does most of the work and management of the condo rentals when we do them.

That makes sense but I know as an owner of a guesthouse if I even lift a finger I void my RV. My concern would be in a tightened market Thais might look on farang investing and renting condos no matter the term an infringement on the rights of what a Thai can do. I guess it might be a matter of interpretation. 

By the same reasoning I suppose if I only rented my rooms long term I would be exempt of needing a WP?

Don't think so.

And also with the same reasoning a person renting their condo less than 30 days would require a WP if they did any type of work which would include changing a light bulb, signing a receipt or even

talking to guests?

The whole WP deal seems like a catch-all type law.

28 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I have had it happen, so I am talking from experience

Well I bow to your experience.   The Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions Office needs to be notified ASAP concerning its misinterpretation of the presumption of innocence.

4 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

Well I bow to your experience.   The Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions Office needs to be notified ASAP concerning its misinterpretation of the presumption of innocence.

The estate agent was charged and found guilty in the court and the property that she stole was found in her house, she lost her Real Estate License and her job and the owner of the house changed Real Estate Companies and I never had that type of problem again

10 hours ago, stud858 said:

SOLUTION

Rent to falang only with passport copied.  Too easy.  

Typical Thai basher who thinks he is superior or some mental problem. My Thai friend will never again rent out her rooms to farangs. She asked me to help her when a "Brit" disappeared after deliberately running up massive phone bills. He had been phoning his fiends in the UK.  I  managed to get hold of his mother in the UK. She told me she had no idea where he was.  We foud he had left Thailand

12 minutes ago, gamini said:

Typical Thai basher who thinks he is superior or some mental problem. My Thai friend will never again rent out her rooms to farangs. She asked me to help her when a "Brit" disappeared after deliberately running up massive phone bills. He had been phoning his fiends in the UK.  I  managed to get hold of his mother in the UK. She told me she had no idea where he was.  We foud he had left Thailand

Not really bashing Thai. It's just easier to bring precedings against a falang when you have their passport details. And yes mental problems,  I have. 

Twice I have left my long  term  rented  condo (3-4 yr) in better condition than when I moved in and the Chinese- Thai owners both made up an excuse to keep the one month deposit. I should have left both places looking like this photo. 

7 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The estate agent was charged and found guilty in the court and the property that she stole was found in her house, she lost her Real Estate License and her job and the owner of the house changed Real Estate Companies and I never had that type of problem again

You have totally missed the point  

The reason the agent was found guilty in court was because the police had proven that she HAD stolen the property.  NOT because she had failed to prove that she HADN'T  stolen it.   Such property found at her house would have been rather damning circumstantial evidence.

Do you understand the difference?

Archived