VIDEO: Every landlord’s worst nightmare! Tenants from hell trash luxury Pattaya condo

rooster59

One day we rented out to a German guy who, as he told us, was working for a major German Company. A year contract with a one month deposit. After three months my wife called the police to assist as only the first month had been paid. He had a big mouth too and spoke very bad about us to other residents. While the policeman was inside the condo, he took a knife and destroyed completely a 4 month old sofa set. The renovation, starting from scratch, had been finished just 4 months before. Everything new and a fantastic modern unit.  Final costs to replace / repair the tenant damages was about 60.000 Baht. Two months unpaid rent was 24.000 Baht. Total 84.000 less 12.000 deposit makes 72.000. Thank you HiSo German.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/20/2018 at 11:41 AM, Jeremy50 said:

Mortifying. I feel for them, but unfortunately some people are absolute pigs. Surely learning how to spot danger signs at the interview stage is the answer. If I did have an expensive property to rent out, which I don't; the following applicants would be immediately ruled out with extreme prejudice.

1. People who are improperly dressed, wife beaters, tank tops etc etc.

2. People who are badly groomed, dirty hair, unshaven etc.

3. Overly obese people. Obviously, they have discipline issues.

4. People with visible tattoos. Don't even respect themselves.

5. People who don't have a regular job. That's going to work in a shirt and tie at 7am, not going to work in underwear at 7pm.

6. People without excellent references.

7. People with large families. Nightmare.

8. Single mum with daughter ok. Single dad with 'daughter', no.

9. Smokers.  Disgusting.

10. Also, take a good look at their car. Is it clean inside, washed, waxed and well maintained? A good sign.

did you grow up in a nanny state country. LOL

On 5/20/2018 at 7:23 AM, worgeordie said:

Been there,our tenants did not only leave a mess,but stole,all

the curtains,3 teak doors,all remotes for A/C,for the electric gate,

the security deposit did not cover the cost to put everything right,

so anyone thinking having  rental properties ,is just about collecting

rent every month,should think again,you are just waiting for the phone

call something else has broken,been blocked,etc,etc.

regards worgeordie

You say the security deposit did not cover the cost to put everything right. That could mean you lost a few hundred baht or many thousands. How much did they leave you out of pocket?

Perhaps landlords need to think how much rent they've collected rather than stressing about some costs involved at the end of leases. Did they lose a few baht at the end, or gain lots of baht over the period of the rental? It's just the way they look at it. In the end, you probably still made money you wouldn't have made if your property was vacant.

Another upside, it doesn't cost a lot to clean and repair an apartment. Labour is cheap.

15 hours ago, davidst01 said:
On 5/20/2018 at 11:41 AM, Jeremy50 said:

Mortifying. I feel for them, but unfortunately some people are absolute pigs. Surely learning how to spot danger signs at the interview stage is the answer. If I did have an expensive property to rent out, which I don't; the following applicants would be immediately ruled out with extreme prejudice.

1. People who are improperly dressed, wife beaters, tank tops etc etc.

2. People who are badly groomed, dirty hair, unshaven etc.

3. Overly obese people. Obviously, they have discipline issues.

4. People with visible tattoos. Don't even respect themselves.

5. People who don't have a regular job. That's going to work in a shirt and tie at 7am, not going to work in underwear at 7pm.

6. People without excellent references.

7. People with large families. Nightmare.

8. Single mum with daughter ok. Single dad with 'daughter', no.

9. Smokers.  Disgusting.

10. Also, take a good look at their car. Is it clean inside, washed, waxed and well maintained? A good sign.

did you grow up in a nanny state country. LOL

Lucky David doesn't rent out a  luxury apartment. The way he's talking it's like people are queuing up to rent expensive luxury apartments in Pattaya and landlords can pick and choose their tenants. They aren't. Rather than worrying about the cost of damage caused by tenants, he'd have a different concern. i.e. Loss of rental income in a vacant expensive luxury apartment.  

Most of the people who rent expensive apartments are foreigners, and it's hard to vet them properly. If the rent is high, it's more likely that tenants are people of means and won't be any trouble. I'd be more worried about tenants renting cheap places.

I always include a monthly cleaning of the air-conditioner in the contract. Has to be done, the tenant can choose the time and date. At least it will be cleaned every month. ?

A family member does the job. It keeps the airconditioning working great and we have a monthly picture of how the condo state is.

On 5/23/2018 at 2:22 AM, invex said:

One day we rented out to a German guy who, as he told us, was working for a major German Company. A year contract with a one month deposit. After three months my wife called the police to assist as only the first month had been paid. He had a big mouth too and spoke very bad about us to other residents. While the policeman was inside the condo, he took a knife and destroyed completely a 4 month old sofa set. The renovation, starting from scratch, had been finished just 4 months before. Everything new and a fantastic modern unit.  Final costs to replace / repair the tenant damages was about 60.000 Baht. Two months unpaid rent was 24.000 Baht. Total 84.000 less 12.000 deposit makes 72.000. Thank you HiSo German.

You could have cut your losses quite a bit if you'd been onto it a week after a rent payment wasn't made. On my contract, I have 5 days grace from the due date... after that, I'm in breach and steps can be taken to get me out. Also, after wilful damage, you could have easily had him charged and taken him to court. What you needed was a good lawyer. He would have paid up rent due, damages, and covered your legal costs too. 

6 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

I always include a monthly cleaning of the air-conditioner in the contract. Has to be done, the tenant can choose the time and date. At least it will be cleaned every month. ?

A family member does the job. It keeps the airconditioning working great and we have a monthly picture of how the condo state is.

I wouldn't sign such a contract. What can you clean in air conditioning units once a month? The screen? Get out of here - I don't want landlords pocking around in my rental apartment unless something really needs doing...like a proper AC clean once every 6 months or year.

Just now, tropo said:

I wouldn't sign such a contract. What can you clean in air conditioning units once a month? The screen? Get out of here - I don't want landlords pocking around in my rental apartment unless something really needs doing...like a proper AC clean once every 6 months or year.

Easy solution then. Don't ever rent from me. Oh, just to make it extra sure, you will need to pay at least 1 month deposit and about the same amount for furniture. Oh, the horror!

Look at it more like a serviced apartment where everything is in tip top shape and repairs if any are done within a day. Lots of people like it and so do i.

100% occupancy (minus some days when tenants go and come) for the last 10 years, what about yours?

On 5/21/2018 at 11:40 AM, stud858 said:
On 5/21/2018 at 7:46 AM, BEngBKK said:

I have rented 4 places in BKK, Pattaya, chaing mai during the last 7 years ..

Not 1 landlord returned the deposit and there is nothing you can do about it....
So there are rotten apples everywhere...

I'm curious as to the reasons why your deposit was not refunded.  Can you tell? 

He speaks the truth. If they refuse for any reason - kiss it goodbye. It's so easy for landlords to get away with not refunding deposits one could say it's optional and up to the landlord's good nature... and how lucky do you feel. So far I've been lucky, but you never know.

I spoke with a senior judge about this a while back. He suggested the best option when faced with the refusal of a security deposit refund is to just write it off. What else could you do?

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

He speaks the truth. If they refuse for any reason - kiss it goodbye. It's so easy for landlords to get away with not refunding deposits one could say it's optional and up to the landlord's good nature... and how lucky do you feel. So far I've been lucky, but you never know.

I spoke with a senior judge about this a while back. He suggested the best option when faced with the refusal of a security deposit refund is to just write it off. What else could you do?

You can go to Consumer protection, the ombudsman, the policestation, if it is a condo to the juristic office as often they can help.

Make sure you have some time left after you finished the lease, if you need a plane to catch, well then say goodbye to your deposit.

21 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

Easy solution then. Don't ever rent from me. Oh, just to make it extra sure, you will need to pay at least 1 month deposit and about the same amount for furniture. Oh, the horror!

Look at it more like a serviced apartment where everything is in tip top shape and repairs if any are done within a day. Lots of people like it and so do i.

100% occupancy (minus some days when tenants go and come) for the last 10 years, what about yours?

I don't need to sign contracts like that. I can find nice places that have reasonable contracts. Currently it's through a real estate agency, so that doesn't include regular snooping around by the landlord. As a tenant, I need my privacy. The landlord gets stuff done when it needs to be done, not pretending to clean aircon units as an excuse to snoop around. I sign one or two-year contracts and have stayed for over 6 years in one place and over 5 in another... and currently on the 2nd year of another place... the type of tenant most landlords dream of.

BTW, most rentals these days require 2 month's security deposit. You can try to negotiate with landlords if you're renting directly, but with real estate agents, it's always 2 months.

A lot of people don't like renting from agents. I've rented directly and with agents and I prefer the latter. It helps to keep busybody landlord's away and I deal with people who aren't emotionally involved with the rental.

3 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

You can go to Consumer protection, the ombudsman, the policestation, if it is a condo to the juristic office as often they can help.

Make sure you have some time left after you finished the lease, if you need a plane to catch, well then say goodbye to your deposit.

You can go to the Consumer protection, the Ombudsman, the police station or anywhere else. It's all a waste of time. You won't get your money back... and even if you could, you wouldn't have the time to go through the process. It is very hard to force people to pay you back...and they can come up with many reasons not to.

7 minutes ago, moontang said:

Thai people have credit reports, too.

I wonder how many foreign owners rent to Thai people. There was a townhouse rented out to a Thai lady next door to me, and she managed to turn it into a fairly close approximation of the apartment you see in the OP. It was absolutely filthy.

27 minutes ago, tropo said:

I don't need to sign contracts like that. I can find nice places that have reasonable contracts. Currently it's through a real estate agency, so that doesn't include regular snooping around by the landlord. As a tenant, I need my privacy. The landlord gets stuff done when it needs to be done, not pretending to clean aircon units as an excuse to snoop around. I sign one or two-year contracts and have stayed for over 6 years in one place and over 5 in another... and currently on the 2nd year of another place... the type of tenant most landlords dream of.

BTW, most rentals these days require 2 month's security deposit. You can try to negotiate with landlords if you're renting directly, but with real estate agents, it's always 2 months.

A lot of people don't like renting from agents. I've rented directly and with agents and I prefer the latter. It helps to keep busybody landlord's away and I deal with people who aren't emotionally involved with the rental.

Ain't contracts great. If you do not agree, don't sign them. No hard feelings ever.

btw, I only rent out to Thai people with steady jobs, so they even have to show their salary slips to prove it.

I have a waiting list, so i think it works ok for both me and the tenants.

The good thing about me writing it in a contract is that it is not pretending, the aircons are really cleaned and it cost me 300 baht per time. All above board and clear for both parties.

Oh, wait i see you live in Pattaya. it is all clear now. ?

i'm different than tropo in that i seek for a serviced apartment

as preferable.

i go back to my current landlord for the simple fact he hasnt stolen my deposit,

this is the 3rd time i return to him

Just now, Khun Jean said:

Ain't contracts great. If you do not agree, don't sign them. No hard feelings ever.

btw, I only rent out to Thai people with steady jobs, so they even have to show their salary slips to prove it.

I have a waiting list, so i think it works ok for both me and the tenants.

The good thing about me writing it in a contract is that it is not pretending, the aircons are really cleaned and it cost me 300 baht per time. All above board and clear for both parties.

You do a full clean, including a hose down of the inside of the evaporator, once a month? I would only do that once a year, and it is quite a disturbance, having to move furniture around. I have 6, so that would cost you about 1800 per month extra, just so you could have a look... actually a lot more because they are not the regular hang on the wall type.

Get this. I recently signed up for a renewal after the end of my first year and I asked the agent if he wanted to do an inspection. He said: no, not until I move out. LOL> that won't be for another couple of years at the earliest.

My rental is 30k per month, so perhaps you wouldn't have Thai people queuing up for it. I don't think Thai people would sink that much money into rent and would rather buy their own place.

Not a full clean every month. Just clean the filters, check for the amount of dust on the compressor as those get filthy quick. A quick cleanup with a small pressure washer takes only a few minutes. Once every 3 months also a check and cleanup of the evaporator, filters are off anyway so it is done quickly.

The trick for low maintenance is that you do it often. Sounds like a contradiction, but spending a few minutes every month instead of hours when it becomes necessary really pays of.

Every six months pressure is checked and filled when necessary.

For the 300 baht a month he also checks the plumbing if so requested and fixes small things when tenant calls him for a repair. It is just a deal i made and it works out for me and him as it makes him a good bit of extra money each month. I check it yearly if everything is still up to spec.

For the rest i have to do very little. I live in Prachuap (cleaner air and quiet), the condo's are in Bangkok, so it would not even be possible without someone taken care of it.

No Thai people would certainly buy when they can afford 30k per month.

I (must say we of course) have condos that are around 4-5000 baht a month. They are completely renovated (not Thai quality!) and with furniture. Mostly around 30m2 and not always on what westerners would say are the best locations. I found that they give me a return of about 10% which i find more attractive then about 4-5% for the more expensive condos or houses. It means i get double the return on the same investment, i would be silly if i did otherwise.

For my own i rent (7 bedrooms on 1 rai land for 7000 a month) as buying is comparatively very expensive and i can move more freely.

37 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

have condos that are around 4-5000 baht a month.

Bangkok ?   Maybe I have someone who's interested, location ? 

47 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

Not a full clean every month. Just clean the filters, check for the amount of dust on the compressor as those get filthy quick. A quick cleanup with a small pressure washer takes only a few minutes. Once every 3 months also a check and cleanup of the evaporator, filters are off anyway so it is done quickly.

The trick for low maintenance is that you do it often. Sounds like a contradiction, but spending a few minutes every month instead of hours when it becomes necessary really pays of.

Every six months pressure is checked and filled when necessary.

For the 300 baht a month he also checks the plumbing if so requested and fixes small things when tenant calls him for a repair. It is just a deal i made and it works out for me and him as it makes him a good bit of extra money each month. I check it yearly if everything is still up to spec.

For the rest i have to do very little. I live in Prachuap (cleaner air and quiet), the condo's are in Bangkok, so it would not even be possible without someone taken care of it.

No Thai people would certainly buy when they can afford 30k per month.

I (must say we of course) have condos that are around 4-5000 baht a month. They are completely renovated (not Thai quality!) and with furniture. Mostly around 30m2 and not always on what westerners would say are the best locations. I found that they give me a return of about 10% which i find more attractive then about 4-5% for the more expensive condos or houses. It means i get double the return on the same investment, i would be silly if i did otherwise.

For my own i rent (7 bedrooms on 1 rai land for 7000 a month) as buying is comparatively very expensive and i can move more freely.

Fair enough as you're in a different market, so you have a lot more to lose in relation to what they're paying. A couple of thousand damage and you're already lost half a month's income, so your way makes a lot of sense. You've only got 8 -10k deposit, so you have to keep a close eye on them. Where I live the body corporate fee is 10k per month, so with insurance, the unit costs the landlord 140,000 a year to own! I was going to ask you for your aircon cleaning contact, then I realised you're in Bangkok. I can't remember a time I've had service people over (in Pattaya) that haven't caused some problems with the units. I have to watch them every step of the way. It's very hard to find good people here.

On Sun May 20 2018 at 2:41 PM, Jeremy50 said:

On Sun May 20 2018 at 2:41 PM, Jeremy50 said:

Also number 10 applies to girls but not their car. 

I was going to ask you for your aircon cleaning contact, then I realised you're in Bangkok. I can't remember a time I've had service people over (in Pattaya) that haven't caused some problems with the units. I have to watch them every step of the way. It's very hard to find good people here.

I doubt you would be very interested in getting his family member if he costs 300B/month just to clean the filters and blow dust out of the compressor. It must take him all of 10 minutes.

I pay 400B for a clean, but it's a proper clean that takes 2 or 3 people the best part of an hour and that involves taking the whole thing apart and washing everything with a pressure spray, inside and out. They do that every 4 months because if they dont then the rotary fan gets clogged with black mold/gunge and it stops working well.

But as you point out, no matter who comes and does it, you have to watch them like a hawk and check every single thing they do. Anything less is a waste of time.

When did they become the type of tenant you don't want to rent to?  Was it when they were paying 30,000b per month for almost 2 years?   Do any of you think before you post?  Something happened.  Had they stayed only a year, they would have been perfect tenants.

2 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

When did they become the type of tenant you don't want to rent to?  Was it when they were paying 30,000b per month for almost 2 years?   Do any of you think before you post?  Something happened.  Had they stayed only a year, they would have been perfect tenants.

Yes, I believe somebody else moved in. For whatever reason.

Pressure washing destroys the electrolytic bond between the coil and the fins; it is better to just use the hose. Give me one competent guy, as opposed to three right out of tech school....seen way too many botches.

Archived