Best Way To Send Money?

Ygg

Hi Guys,

What is the best way to send money to a person in Thailand? Western Union cost to much. I am not in a hurry, could use regular mail. Just wondering what the best way is. I do not send money very often, but when I do I hate to give so much to Western Union. Must be a better way.

Thanks

Jim

There has been some debate about farangs opening bank accounts recently elsewhere on TV, I will not repeat those posts here.

When I needed to do this I opened a SCB savings account and got the person I was sendng money to, to do the same. I set a relationship between the two accounts to easily transfer money when I wanted to by using their (SCB Easy) online banking service. They charge a 5 Baht fee.

A can top up my account as I choose (cheap transfer via Swift) and move money at any time of day. The two accounts are at different places within Thailand but the money hits the target account within the hour maybe sooner.

When sending money always send in your home currency, you get a better rate to the Baht.

SCB Easy FAQ

There has been some debate about farangs opening bank accounts recently elsewhere on TV, I will not repeat those posts here.

When I needed to do this I opened a SCB savings account and got the person I was sendng money to, to do the same. I set a relationship between the two accounts to easily transfer money when I wanted to by using their (SCB Easy) online banking service. They charge a 5 Baht fee.

A can top up my account as I choose (cheap transfer via Swift) and move money at any time of day. The two accounts are at different places within Thailand but the money hits the target account within the hour maybe sooner.

When sending money always send in your home currency, you get a better rate to the Baht.

SCB Easy FAQ

Opened a SCB account for the mrs with scb-easy. use moneybookers.com to transfer money sended 200 pounds last time (about 400 dollar) and got a rate of 67.25 to the pound from money out of my bank to money into hers or about. they do not charge for uploading money from my bank, just a very small fee (about a dollar) for transfer and about 2 dollar for withdrawal on the mrs side.

Setting it up can be a bit of a pain as it means calling the bank to transfer you to international transfers devision to obtain the original description in the transfer for the first time. probably if you setup a joint account at the scb you will not have that problem.

Hi Guys,

What is the best way to send money to a person in Thailand? Western Union cost to much. I am not in a hurry, could use regular mail. Just wondering what the best way is. I do not send money very often, but when I do I hate to give so much to Western Union. Must be a better way.

Thanks

Jim

The easiest and cheapest way to my mind is make an account in your own country (in your name) and give the card / pin to the Thai person. It costs nothing for you to put into your own account and neigh on nothing for taking money out on the Atm. I had an old account I didnt use, just asked for a new debit card and pin and Bobs y´r uncle.

The easiest and cheapest way to my mind is make an account in your own country (in your name) and give the card / pin to the Thai person.

I've not considered that option, however beware of the T&Cs of your bank, they may not look favourably on this.

Unless you're doing major money transfers, the best way to go BY FAR is with a debit card in your home country, a duplicate of which you would give to the person who would regularly be using it in an ATM machine in Thailand. With debit cards, you can control how much is taken out and the normal bank charges are minimal. We gave our card to Khun May and while she still has problems understanding how to use her local ATM machine, she is always assisted by other members of the family... Search on "debit cards" here at TV and you will have lots more info about them. :o

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Jim

The easiest and cheapest way to my mind is make an account in your own country (in your name) and give the card / pin to the Thai person. It costs nothing for you to put into your own account and neigh on nothing for taking money out on the Atm. I had an old account I didnt use, just asked for a new debit card and pin and Bobs y´r uncle.

What the wife and I have done is to open an account here in the USA and give an atm card to a trusted member of the family.It has worked out great for us.As to the debit card I would not do that!!!!A debit card can normaly be used for any amount.There is no maximum except the balance of the account.And on top of that if you have overdraft protection then the debt card can be used to go over your balance by an amount set by the financal institution.You will then owe erdraft fees.Not that your trusted person would do this to you but if the card is compromised (stolen or something else)this could cause big problems for you.

ATM usally has a limt per 24hr.....Debt card no limit......Understand Think about it.

We also went with the 'additional card' option. Just had it set to a low withdrawl limit. It becomes a pain if they mis-key the pin a few times & the machine keeps the card.

Checked out the link at the top of this page for 'secure express cash' (send money with Visa) - heck of a rip off. looks good to start with, but check the fine print.

I also had issues with western Union. The ATM card works the best without VISA logo. Send Pin by email or phone.

ATM in Thailand have B10,000 per day limit, on line banking you can montior and shut down card if issues ever come up. Wells fargo cost me $5 per transaction, so we do the

B10,000 as needed.

Great record keeping for immigration also to show support.

I also had issues with western Union. The ATM card works the best without VISA logo. Send Pin by email or phone.

ATM in Thailand have B10,000 per day limit, on line banking you can montior and shut down card if issues ever come up. Wells fargo cost me $5 per transaction, so we do the

B10,000 as needed.

Great record keeping for immigration also to show support.

What ATMs have such a limit? I have never seen one in Thailand. The limit is fixed by the home bank. ATM's have a physical limit depending on the currency available but I normally obtain 25,000 baht from Bangkok Bank ATM's in one transaction. I can continue transactions until the ATM runs out of money if my card/bank allows it.

Some ATM's have a limit of 10,000 baht for "fast cash" one button push but you can select withdrawal and do it manually up to the machine limit of 25,000 or 20,000 baht even then.

Open 2 accounts with a bank who will allow you to transfer money between the 2 totaly free of charge. The first of the accounts is the one where you will deposit your hard earned cash into, and then online you can transfer amounts over to your gf's account in an instant without cost. It's best to give the gf a CASH card and not a debit card and make sure you dont allow an overdraft either. :o

Edited by enyaw

3 or more solutions :

1. Farang Country account & send ATM card - in UK Nationwide is the best (if you get joint account then you can have spare card to easily send again/use yourself)

2. 2 Thai bank accounts

Kasiakorn is the best - accounts need to be in same thai geographic area - also you can get money in cheaply with paypal - transfer money to other account whe you want through inet banking

3. Paypal - your thai recipient will need a credit card and a bank account. Create a thai paypal account for your recipient. Get validated with theit credit card so no restrictions on account. You send money from your farang paypal account to the thai paypal account. Then you can withdraw to their bank account.

Generally money transfer services and prepaid atm cards are a ripoff.

There are someother solutions but there is a greater risk for the sender as the amount withdrawn can be over the amount you want them to have - ie using credit cards with no conversion charges and putting them into credit - it is not possible to prevent more then the credit being withdrawn so you will pay interest on the amount you are in debt. There is 1 uk card and 1 austrailian card i am aware of that can do this.