BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pat in Pattaya

Living in an oven

No, I built our place in an area where it has access to a breeze, not surrounded by concrete..

Early morning today i went for a jog in the Lumpini park, and after a nice coffee & breakfast at Au Bon Pain reading the Bangkok Post, back home now. After a good shower and another coffee (yes, with AC on), i intend to go with my family to Central for lunch, weekly shopping at Tops Market, car wash, optical shop etc and back home by 2pm for a nap. 4-6pm badminton with son and other friends in our condo court. Dinner at home 7pm cooked by my wife. Then relax time till i sleep by around 10pm as i wake up early everyday 5am. Not enough time in a day!!

13 minutes ago, transam said:

No, I built our place in an area where it has access to a breeze, not surrounded by concrete..

Ditto.

Wide eaves, lots of through ventilation (and fans), multitude of shade plants, no aircon except in the bedroom at night.

It's definitely sizzling out in the sunshine mind, I'm happy to watch it from the comfortable shade.

Thank God ,don't live in a condo,I don't have A/c ,because I don't like it,

our house is surrounded by trees and shrubs,with several water features,

sleep with windows open,same in daytime downstairs,only wear sarong

in the house,very comfortable at the moment,very small fan blowing,

best to try and live with what the weather throws at you,than trying to

control or fight it,been British was never brought up with A/c's,while

Americans they view them as an essential,must have.

regards Worgeordie

I live in a rural area and, even though I have 2 working air conditioners in the house, when it's real hot, I prefer to use floor fans and take lots of bucket showers. When the TGF comes over -- I call her a one-woman water shortage -- she does much the same and she can take all the bucket showers she wants as long as I get to watch (and that is quite a sight).

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Ditto.

Wide eaves, lots of through ventilation (and fans), multitude of shade plants, no aircon except in the bedroom at night.

It's definitely sizzling out in the sunshine mind, I'm happy to watch it from the comfortable shade.

Ditto...

Folk who buy a place on one of those concrete estates where the houses are only a few feet apart will probably have a problem...:sad:

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Ditto...

Folk who buy a place on one of those concrete estates where the houses are only a few feet apart will probably have a problem...

Got one of those, no problem air con works fine.

We just use a fan most of the day.

Our house we are in now is an oven. It's an old Thai style raised wooden house with paper thin walls and a tin roof. I'm currently looking at ceiling fan options. 

After 2 years it's gotten easier. If I know it's going to be a hot day I start drinking water early and keep it up throughout the day.  

41 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Ditto.

I would agree but I find it baffling that most new-builds dont do much in the way of design, ventilation, insulation, shade etc. There is something fundamentally wrong with a design, airflow or materials, if it ends up hotter inside (or under) a structure than outside

30 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Got one of those, no problem air con works fine.

We just use a fan most of the day.

The only place I need the expense of A/C is in my bedroom, but my bedrooms are upstairs. That floor gets hot but is a heat buffer for downstairs (open plan) where only ceiling fans are needed, plus three sets of "French" doors which can be opened if needed...:thumbsup:

Move house OP.  Get a house with insulation in the roof and prober ventilation. With that you won't need AC.

I only have the AC on in the bedroom in the hot season at night.  During the day, and the rest of the year I just use fans.

Really, you will never get used to the warmer temperature here if you live you life going form one super cool AC room to another, and your AC car, AC shopping mall, etc.

When you go outside wear a hat... this really makes a big difference to keeping cool too.  Wear clothes of a natural fibres so your skin can breath and moisture evaporate (and of course not black top in the daytime). 

Taking a cool shower and drinking a cool drink will help obviously.  

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Move house OP.  Get a house with insulation in the roof and prober ventilation. With that you won't need AC.

I only have the AC on in the bedroom in the hot season at night.  During the day, and the rest of the year I just use fans.

Really, you will never get used to the warmer temperature here if you live you life going form one super cool AC room to another, and your AC car, AC shopping mall, etc.

When you go outside wear a hat... this really makes a big difference to keeping cool too.  Wear clothes of a natural fibres so your skin can breath and moisture evaporate (and of course not black top in the daytime). 

Taking a cool shower and drinking a cool drink will help obviously.  

All great advice, I would also add diet, avoid stodgy European food, live like a Thai person and go out at night sleep in the heat of the day etc.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Ditto...

Folk who buy a place on one of those concrete estates where the houses are only a few feet apart will probably have a problem...:sad:

You make an excellent point. There is a concrete gated housing project in Hua Hin that  boggles the mind. Everything is paved over. I mean everything. There are houses, but there are no yards per say, just semi walled enclosures which are cemented and asphalted over. Few shade trees. The place gets so hot during the day. I don't know what the developer was thinking