BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pat in Pattaya

Living in an oven

On 5/21/2018 at 10:18 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Brilliant design .........

So how come my 3 bedroom 'concrete sweatbox', on a concrete estate, housing 4 of us only has top bills of 1,500bht/month.

We run a fridge/freezer, chest freezer, air-con and all the other usual stuff.

Just an update, spoke to the wife about the 3,000 baht a month and she said no, that was when we had the builder working here for two months, i.e. using his drill, compressor etc etc, and we just received our monthly electricity bill less the week we went to Pattaya, it came in at a staggering 1,467 baht, so I would average that out to say about 2,000 baht a month in the summer months when we use the air conditioners, as opposed to 3,000 baht a month.

She also Gave me the last 4 electricity bills and I have no idea of the months, but would say last months was 2,230B then down as we used the air conditioners less or not at all.

1,297.51B, 1,014.96B & 980.16B, so looks like I was gloating as usual 555

Well there is the old joke that if you play a country music record backwards, you get your job back, your wife stops sleeping with other men, and your dog comes home.

I guess the ThaiVisa version of the backwards record is that you give you Thai wife and her family lots of money, your kid isn't the smartest in the class, and you have a sky-high electric bill.

On 5/22/2018 at 3:54 PM, Riojasue said:

We live in Khon Kaen in Isaan and whilst we do love it here coz we’re near family this last few weeks it’s been unbearable. As we’re in a hot city it’s very difficult to exercise in our usual way which is walking every day. So we’re spending far too much time just sitting in the AC coz the house is just a concrete storage heater and without the AC it would be unbearable.

Can I ask if anyone has had experience of both Issan and a beach region and what their experiences are with heat management? We intend to spend most of each year in Thailand but it’s just not much fun sitting in the AC during the hot season so we’re wondering about a move to the coast.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Maybe too late for you, but you have to build you house smart from the beginning.  Now days, that's QCON blocks with an air gap between outter and inner walls.  Vented attic void.  Insulation on top of the ceiling.

Otherwise your a/c units are working over time to compensate for the attic void heat pushing down into your house, and the concrete walls heat up from the outside sun and from the attic void, turning your house into an oven.  And your air conditioner work very hard trying to achieve the temperature you demand on the remote control setting. 

On 5/20/2018 at 8:22 PM, moose7117 said:

are you guys serious ?

i work a stones throw from Marble Bar (google it) and i come home to tropical Thailand monthly.

It aint hot here guys !

40 degrees is perfect weather to perform manual labour in, we Aussies have been doing it for decades.

Doing it in chains doesn't count lol

re post #20 by 55 Jay on May 20

I've searched this site and this was the only page with a hit for the term "security screen" or "security door"

I've been looking for products like this...  https://shadeandshutter.com/security-screens/ 

None of the major home improvement / building shops seem to stock them around Chiang Mai.

Anyone know where they can be bought in Thailand?

Any comments on quality of local product?

14 minutes ago, Max11man said:

re post #20 by 55 Jay on May 20

I've searched this site and this was the only page with a hit for the term "security screen" or "security door"

I've been looking for products like this...  https://shadeandshutter.com/security-screens/ 

None of the major home improvement / building shops seem to stock them around Chiang Mai.

Anyone know where they can be bought in Thailand?

Any comments on quality of local product?

Look up Meshtec Chiang Mai on the net. The owner was producing security mesh products for export a few years ago when I knew him. Not sure if they retail locally or if they have what you are looking for. .