Living in an oven

Pat in Pattaya

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You make an excellent point. There is a concrete gated housing project in Hua Hin that  boggles the mind. Everything is paved over. I mean everything. There are houses, but there are no yards per say, just semi walled enclosures which are cemented and asphalted over. Few shade trees. The place gets so hot during the day. I don't know what the developer was thinking

What makes you believe any thinking was involved in a design like that`

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

All great advice, I would also add diet, avoid stodgy European food, live like a Thai person and go out at night sleep in the heat of the day etc.

.....Live like a Thai person and eat  steaming hot bowls of noodle soup every day to keep cool........:smile:

2 hours ago, CGW said:

I live on a 3 Rai lot with very few neighbours, garden planted to maximise shade & for six months of the year have no need for AC apart from the bedroom, the other six months it is far more comfortable with AC, through breezes when it is close to 40c outside along with high humidity? not getting it, by 09:00 we close up the house and keep what "cool" we have, supplemented with AC run at 28c to keep heat & humidity down.

Yes it's the humidity that is the killer.

I go home in April and enjoy a nice cool lousy English summer that everyone else is complaining about knowing that I will return in October for my summer which is the Thai winter. This also cools down nicely for a month or 2 in NE Esaan.

I have also learned to make sure I rent a room or house that faces East or North East which after some morning sun remains cool the rest of the day.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Thank God ,don't live in a condo,I don't have A/c ,because I don't like it,

our house is surrounded by trees and shrubs,with several water features,

sleep with windows open,same in daytime downstairs,only wear sarong

in the house,very comfortable at the moment,very small fan blowing,

best to try and live with what the weather throws at you,than trying to

control or fight it,been British was never brought up with A/c's,while

Americans they view them as an essential,must have.

regards Worgeordie

Do all your windows have mossie screens?

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Ditto.

Wide eaves, lots of through ventilation (and fans), multitude of shade plants, no aircon except in the bedroom at night.

It's definitely sizzling out in the sunshine mind, I'm happy to watch it from the comfortable shade.

But when the storms pass through you are a prime target for lightning strikes from what you have reported.  There seems to be a price to pay.:smile:

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But when the storms pass through you are a prime target for lightning strikes from what you have reported.  There seems to be a price to pay.:smile:

Lightening strikes do not inquire about status first....:stoner: 

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Also use what nature gives us to chill down in the tropics...drink fresh coconut water, cut in front of you !

And always drink enough water, many people feel sick because of dehydration, especially when drinking alcohol. 

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If i owned a condo or house I'd put in those ceiling fans over the beds, when ive used them in the past there was no need for AC1526805134931.jpeg

We have two of the "big brothers" of them in our sleeping room, a great breeze. 

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You make an excellent point. There is a concrete gated housing project in Hua Hin that  boggles the mind. Everything is paved over. I mean everything. There are houses, but there are no yards per say, just semi walled enclosures which are cemented and asphalted over. Few shade trees. The place gets so hot during the day. I don't know what the developer was thinking

The developper was perhaps just looking for new farangs to rush over and purchase on leasehold and that's it. Obviously, some developpers,  just don't care on the comfort of the client.

The goal is just to sell, fast, make money and then let the buyer to go to h*ll ?

Or perhaps they are trying to get the home owners pay extra if they want trees for shade planted and thus later on, charge extra surprise monthly "tree maintenance"  fees :whistling:

i rent room from 3rd floor up, but not the top floor since that one soaks up the sun heat.

i stay in a seaside city for more even temperature around the year.

if i venture outdoors, its going to be on a bike so automatic extra breeze

And always drink enough water, many people feel sick because of dehydration, especially when drinking alcohol.   

Yes need to check urine colour throughout the day, interestingly after a few beers my urine is the perfect colourless 

ha ha a lot of guys living in their wifes house near a jungle trying to convince condo owners they have a lovely breeze lol.

Im on the 18th floor seaside in danger of being sucked off the balcony (no pun) when there is the slightest breeze.

Dont see how you ground floor jungle dwellers can beat that!

6 minutes ago, jakethepeg said:

ha ha a lot of guys living in their wifes house near a jungle trying to convince condo owners they have a lovely breeze lol.

Im on the 28th floor seaside in danger of being sucked off the balcony (no pun) when there is the slightest breeze.

Dont see how you ground floor jungle dwellers can beat that!

Horses for courses.  Personally, I couldn't live like a bee in a hive.  After 9 months in a flat, vowed never again.

37 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Horses for courses.  Personally, I couldn't live like a bee in a hive.  After 9 months in a flat, vowed never again.

Indeed, lived in a condo twice, once in KL, again when we first came here. We had two flats (apartments) in Rome and another in Brussels, all the negatives of a condo without the positives.

I like being more than 6" from my neighbours, I don't like hearing them shagging (the lady in KL was a "screamer").

I love having pets and trees and green stuff, and a barbie with my mates (yes, I do have mates, despite being a TV mod). Pretty well everything you can't have in a condo.

Indeed, lived in a condo twice, once in KL, again when we first came here. We had two flats (apartments) in Rome and another in Brussels, all the negatives of a condo without the positives.

I like being more than 6" from my neighbours, I don't like hearing them shagging (the lady in KL was a "screamer").

I love having pets and trees and green stuff, and a barbie with my mates (yes, I do have mates, despite being a TV mod). Pretty well everything you can't have in a condo.

And yapping dogs, roosters loud speakers at 6am, mosquitos, your hard earned $ in the name of a woman you have little in common with and watching rice grow as a hobby.

Yep living the dream! But I'm sure your situation is "different" lol

I get the lift down to the beach and choose my next GF right there [emoji16]

And THEN I need the air on

17 minutes ago, jakethepeg said:

And yapping dogs, roosters loud speakers at 6am, mosquitos, your hard earned $ in the name of a woman you have little in common with and watching rice grow as a hobby.

Yep living the dream! But I'm sure your situation is "different" lol

I get the lift down to the beach and choose my next GF right there emoji16.png

And THEN I need the air on

Issan sub-forum is an odd place for you to be hanging out. 

@jakethepeg I won't criticise your lifestyle if you don't criticise mine. 

I'm in a stable relationship with a Thai lady who is older than I am. I work so I don't need to watch rice grow (we can't see any rice from our home anyway).

Yes the house and land is in her name, but it's not worth more than I can walk away from if the wheel were ever to come off.

We own the yapping dogs and roosters, have a puyai baan who only comes on the speakers when there's something important to say and at 6AM I'm in the car heading to work.

Our breeze come off the river, a pretty big river called the Chao Phraya, you may know it (we don't live in Issan).

Like was noted before, horses for courses.

All interesting stuff as I’m in trying to plan a naturally cooled house appropriate for the tropics whilst trying to convince the missus that her idea of a modern house/bungalow dates back to the 70’s in the UK and is totally inappropriate for these climes.

Just now, jakethepeg said:

Not sure what that means but we are both ex customers. That's the whole point!
Any way I'm still looking for a non fantasy explanation of how dudes living in a village get a breeze?

Good for you.  I go to Pattaya less than before, had my fill of all that starting in the 80s and 90s.  Last trip, stayed in a nice little resort next to Lake Maprachan.  Good chow, swimming pool, bar, no elevators, couple of maidens about who figured out I wasn't a potential customer, and it was all good after that.  Guess I'm well and truly ruined from living upcountry.  :biggrin:

Breezes over land and water are the same basic principle.  I was just out on my front patio, nice breeze blowing in from the South/Southwest.

39 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

All interesting stuff as I’m in trying to plan a naturally cooled house appropriate for the tropics whilst trying to convince the missus that her idea of a modern house/bungalow dates back to the 70’s in the UK and is totally inappropriate for these climes.

Good reading over in the housing/diy thread. 

Be a lot of fun to start from scratch and do it right.

33 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Good for you.  I go to Pattaya less than before, had my fill of all that starting in the 80s and 90s.  Last trip, stayed in a nice little resort next to Lake Maprachan.  Good chow, swimming pool, bar, no elevators, couple of maidens about who figured out I wasn't a potential customer, and it was all good after that.  Guess I'm well and truly ruined from living upcountry.  :biggrin:

Breezes over land and water are the same basic principle.  I was just out on my front patio, nice breeze blowing in from the South/Southwest.

Breezes are not the same inland as they are by the sea. As an ex pilot who has more than a passing interest in the weather ..trust me or just google why sea breezes are predominant, its all pretty logical and should be taught at school probably

Archived