Living in an oven

Pat in Pattaya

Breakfast with a nice view,i am not complaining,lots of wind ans lots of shade from large trees.I do not think i can ever live in a condo or in a house with close neighbours.

20170610_080259 (1).jpg

20170613_090954.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are you guys serious ?

i work a stones throw from Marble Bar (google it) and i come home to tropical Thailand monthly.

It aint hot here guys !

40 degrees is perfect weather to perform manual labour in, we Aussies have been doing it for decades.

2 hours ago, jakethepeg said:

Breezes are not the same inland as they are by the sea. As an ex pilot who has more than a passing interest in the weather ..trust me or just google why sea breezes are predominant, its all pretty logical and should be taught at school probably

OK, but remember, you're the one who asked for a non fantasy based explanation of how there could be a breeze in a village. 

I'm relieved that you've conceded there are such things as breezes inland.

Just that they're different than sea breezes.  And that sea breezes are predominate.  Especially near the sea.

Have fun man, and watch out for that sea breeze suction on your balcony.  18 floors is a long way down, even for an ex-pilot.

11 hours ago, jvs said:

Breakfast with a nice view,i am not complaining,lots of wind ans lots of shade from large trees.I do not think i can ever live in a condo or in a house with close neighbours.

20170610_080259 (1).jpg

20170613_090954.jpg

Awesome. Is that Loei???

21 hours ago, akirasan said:

Our house we are in now is an oven. It's an old Thai style raised wooden house with paper thin walls and a tin roof. I'm currently looking at ceiling fan options. 

After 2 years it's gotten easier. If I know it's going to be a hot day I start drinking water early and keep it up throughout the day.  

We have a wooden house but taller than many others (3metres) to take advantage of breeze. Having traditional terra-cotta tiles has helped enormously to reduce heat. We also have ventilation gaps under the eaves to let hot air circulate out.Lots of trees as we are rural. Fans only because we have a small solar setup. We had two nights over Songkran that were pretty hot, but otherwise it’s lovely. 

We put substantial effort and not a small amount of money into heat proofing our house and it's paid dividends ever since, just like Crossy:

Wide eaves, good attic ventilation, tall trees providing shade, insulation, window tint etc etc. As long as we keep the doors and windows closed the inside of the house remains very cool without the need for air, until the sun goes down.

17 hours ago, jakethepeg said:

ha ha a lot of guys living in their wifes house near a jungle trying to convince condo owners they have a lovely breeze lol.

Im on the 18th floor seaside in danger of being sucked off the balcony (no pun) when there is the slightest breeze.

Dont see how you ground floor jungle dwellers can beat that!

Hmmm, I would have sleepless nights living in your place worrying about the lift not working.....bored.gif.5f7b1a5d491d23e3607deaa5193f44e1.gif

PS.My place in your darkest Isaan is on the edge of a lake, I drive around it's 7 km every day and also enjoy the breeze from it in my garden...Plus I ain't got a lift to worry about...?

8 hours ago, transam said:

..My place in your darkest Isaan is on the edge of a lake, I drive around it's 7 km every day and also enjoy the breeze from it in my garden...Plus I ain't got a lift to worry about...?

flooding?....................:cheesy:

4 minutes ago, petermik said:

flooding?....................:cheesy:

Nooooo, my house is built on land raised about 2 metres...No ploblems in 10 years..?

PS....Others have though....No homework done...?

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

We put substantial effort and not a small amount of money into heat proofing our house and it's paid dividends ever since, just like Crossy:

Wide eaves, good attic ventilation, tall trees providing shade, insulation, window tint etc etc. As long as we keep the doors and windows closed the inside of the house remains very cool without the need for air, until the sun goes down.

Yes, the only way you can stay comfortable in the summer heat is to have a heat proof house, you have to plan and pay for this! A summer breeze that is both humid and hot, only equalizes the temperature to same as outside, even when there is a breeze in the cooler months the insect repellent screens will block most of the breeze.

It works in reverse during the cold days in the NE, shut all the windows and keep the heat in the house, once the floors in houses here get cold can be quite uncomfortable also!

We close up the house and run one small AC at 28c which keeps the humidity down and keeps house at a comfortable temp.

Well ThaiVisa does provide a valuable public service in providing an outlet where guys can come on to let other readers know how smart they are -- who knows what they might do without it.

Me -- I just rent a house although the one improvement I made is to put up one of those big Thai awnings on the west side of the house to block some of the afternoon sun  and that made a big difference.

8 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Well ThaiVisa does provide a valuable public service in providing an outlet where guys can come on to let other readers know how smart they are -- who knows what they might do without it.

Me -- I just rent a house although the one improvement I made is to put up one of those big Thai awnings on the west side of the house to block some of the afternoon sun  and that made a big difference.

Thanks for telling us how smart you are....

As long as you are healty .......just sweat it out.

For elderly and heart patients .......this constant heat will kill you in the end .

I moved out 6 months ago ,and have to stay between 20 and 30 degree celcius,dokters order.No more Thailand.

Aircon  all the way. I love living in the tropics, that's why I left Canada and have never been back since I left in 2005. But, I do love sleeping in a cold room. So aircon on and snuggling with wifey!

During the day I usually sit out in the salla with the fan. 

On 5/19/2018 at 9:16 PM, IsaanFam said:

It is really easy, 24x7 aircon on 16 C.

its very unhealthy and expensive living like this----simple and healthier to find a condo near the sea and hgher up,where there is a constant breeze...my power is 300thb per mth, use fan sometimes...

windows and ranchsliders open 24/7==fresh air

being confined indoors with air cond, must be terribly boring..whats the point of living in thailand ???

early morning is good time  to go for walk or run, for exercise in cooler air ...

We live below the mountains on 2 rai. We have planted alot of trees around our home as well. When building our home I wanted 4 metre high ceiling which I got with a truss roof system.We also have an outside kitchen  and a fan on the main kitchen in the ceiling to extract the hot air out . Have whirleys on top of roof as well. 

Having the 4 metre wide patio helps too.

002.JPG

its very unhealthy and expensive living like this----simple and healthier to find a condo near the sea and hgher up,where there is a constant breeze...my power is 300thb per mth, use fan sometimes...
windows and ranchsliders open 24/7==fresh air
being confined indoors with air cond, must be terribly boring..whats the point of living in thailand ???
early morning is good time  to go for walk or run, for exercise in cooler air ...
It's good to have the fridge freezer on though. Some CCs turn it off

This stuff reminds me of this from West Side Story (Broadway production) America!:

[ROSALIA]
Puerto Rico
You lovely island
Island of tropical breezes
Always the pineapples growing
Always the coffee blossoms blowing

[ANITA]
Puerto Rico
You ugly island
Island of tropic diseases
Always the hurricanes blowing
Always the population growing
And the money owing
And the babies crying
And the bullets flying
I like the island Manhattan
Smoke on your pipe and put that in!

On 5/20/2018 at 11:16 AM, IsaanFam said:

It is really easy, 24x7 aircon on 16 C.

16º ???  Ours are on at 28º and it's really nice, also in the bedroom, 28ºor 29º. Wonderful. 16º is like in a freezer.

20180521_153306s.jpg

I might use the aircon set at 25C for a couple of hours on a very hot day. A fan is enough the rest of the time. Don't need aircon at night. Mind you, I get around my apartment in underpants.

Archived