Living in an oven

Pat in Pattaya

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

So to the photo above was the choice of floor color designed to keep the rellies from stopping by?

You only noticed because there is the big blue vase as well.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am an American!  The air conditioning runs at 25C 24 hours a day.  Why suffer with the heat when air conditioning is available?

I feel so sorry for the poor Thais living without air conditioning!  Then there are the Europeans and Russians that think it is unhealthy.  Sorry but excessive heat and humidity is unhealthy for me.  I am no stranger to this having been raised without air conditioning in New Orleans!

On 5/20/2018 at 10:33 AM, Peterw42 said:

I would agree but I find it baffling that most new-builds dont do much in the way of design, ventilation, insulation, shade etc. There is something fundamentally wrong with a design, airflow or materials, if it ends up hotter inside (or under) a structure than outside

You are so right. We live in a beautiful house where the big windows are facing east, so we get the full afternoon sun. Had the builder only turned the house 180 degree, it would be much more pleasant. Anyway, we planted trees on the east side that will give us shade next year, we

hope. An extruder on the roof will be next, if our landlord agrees.

44 minutes ago, jakethepeg said:

Lots of wind? a picture tells a thousand words and all those shrubs and flowers are standing perfectly upright. What do you do out there in the jungle for mental stimulation? Sure you have a Thai wife but they are rarely mentally engaging. Its a serious question,,I would develop cabin fever within a week

Well let's say i did not see the mention bout my wife.Picture was taken on  a day  with no wind,rare.

We do not live in a jungle,do you live in a concrete jungle?

We have lots of animals and enjoy growing our own organic food.

Yes we do have electricity and even water!!!!We have two trucks(4x4) to take us to civilication in case we want to go there.

I speak some of the native language but the tribe here seems pretty friendly.

Sometimes we see an airplane fly over and then we make an offering to the god of the skies.

Seriously now,there are people who live in towns and sometimes go to the countrieside to wind down.I am one of those who will go to town if i feel the need to have noise around me.

Jakethepeg have a nice day.

5 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

I am an American!  The air conditioning runs at 25C 24 hours a day.  Why suffer with the heat when air conditioning is available?

I feel so sorry for the poor Thais living without air conditioning!  Then there are the Europeans and Russians that think it is unhealthy.  Sorry but excessive heat and humidity is unhealthy for me.  I am no stranger to this having been raised without air conditioning in New Orleans!

Er - the  Thais are quite comfortable without air-conditioning. It's called evolution, although I understand there are still some states in the USA which don't like that scientific concept being taught.

My Thai GF will sometimes ask me to turn off the aircon when she gets too cold.

7 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

<snip>  Why suffer with the heat when air conditioning is available? <snip2>

Suffer? I wait all year for these hot evenings so when the TGF decides to spend the night she sleeps topless.

19 hours ago, jvs said:

Breakfast with a nice view,i am not complaining,lots of wind ans lots of shade from large trees.I do not think i can ever live in a condo or in a house with close neighbours.

20170610_080259 (1).jpg

20170613_090954.jpg

Proper view. Proper back garden. Nice!

36 minutes ago, transam said:

He's from Norway.....?

So am I. I run the air.con at night at 25 degrees. I don't run it in daytime.

16 degrees is the recommended bedroom temperature in Norway in winter, if you use an eiderdown comforter of 2.7 kilos or the equivalent in synthetics...?

39 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

So to the photo above was the choice of floor color designed to keep the rellies from stopping by?

Colour  was my choice , as green look peaceful . And you are right to stop the rellies ,also have my green bike rider from stopping them too.  it seemed to work as they have only been here one time in 4 years .

1526218749568.jpg

6 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Colour  was my choice , as green look peaceful . <snip>

From Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy:

(To the painter Mr. PeDelford who nods through this entire spiel)

Muriel Blandings: I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green. Now, the dining room. I'd like yellow. Not just yellow; a very gay yellow. Something bright and sunshine-y. I tell you, Mr. PeDelford, if you'll send one of your men to the grocer for a pound of their best butter, and match that exactly, you can't go wrong! Now, this is the paper we're going to use in the hall. It's flowered, but I don't want the ceiling to match any of the colors of the flowers. There's some little dots in the background, and it's these dots I want you to match. Not the little greenish dot near the hollyhock leaf, but the little bluish dot between the rosebud and the delphinium blossom. Is that clear? (ETC) ... Oh, excuse me...

Mr. PeDelford: You got that Charlie?

Charlie, Painter: Red, green, blue, yellow, white.

Mr. PeDelford: Check.

33 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Upon reading this important topic, it struck me that we men could band together, and help the young sweltering ladies. They must suffer whilst working in this heat. Therefore, it is our duty to petition the Generalisimo to repeal the ban on female toplessness. Anything else would be uncivilized!?

Please no, it's taken me 4 years to convince MiL not to walk around the house topless when she visits.

I call her 'droopy'.

On 5/20/2018 at 11:26 AM, geriatrickid said:

You make an excellent point. There is a concrete gated housing project in Hua Hin that  boggles the mind. Everything is paved over. I mean everything. There are houses, but there are no yards per say, just semi walled enclosures which are cemented and asphalted over. Few shade trees. The place gets so hot during the day. I don't know what the developer was thinking

Money ,,, Nothing else Matters ,,,

On 5/20/2018 at 9:35 AM, transam said:

No, I built our place in an area where it has access to a breeze, not surrounded by concrete..

Yes. I'm in a 15th floor condo with a nice sea breeze most of the time. Balcony doors and windows open pretty much 24/7. A fan in the bedroom. I probably use the air conditioner fewer than 5 to 10 days in a year and then usually set at 27° or 28 °.

Actually if you use the air conditioner at home all the time you'll never acclimatize. I find the temps in malls and shops that use a/c to be too chilly. Haven't been to a movie theater here in years, but in the past they always seemed more suitable for long term meat storage.

I live in a small village and have a thai style wooden house, done what I could during refurbishment, insulation larger windows ect, we don't use aircon ,find its ok with fans on unless it goes above 35, looking at building a mud house on spare land in the garden heard some good reports of these in hot countries

38 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I suspect you know a lot about passing wind.  You've been doing it for the 4 whole hours since you re-joined TVF before this thread.  Banned/suspended, reincarnated.  The Mods or that balcony will get you soon, no doubt.  See ya' Bro, have fun.

Well said, But you do get his kind on here sometimes best to just ignore this so called fly boy.

22 minutes ago, ancharee said:

I live in a small village and have a thai style wooden house, done what I could during refurbishment, insulation larger windows ect, we don't use aircon ,find its ok with fans on unless it goes above 35, looking at building a mud house on spare land in the garden heard some good reports of these in hot countries

I have been in one of those houses in Pala-u,nice and cool.

Made mostly of red dirt,din daeng.Was surprised how nice it was and i saw a young Thai man one youtube who was teaching people how to build them.

I have some limited knowledge in building and found that building our place was a project of sorts, as others have said, don't be boxed in, so our neighbours on either side are at least 20 metres away on one side and 80 metres away on the other side, no one behind and no one opposite, so when we do get a breeze, its pleasant, but sure do miss the sea breezes, but one has to choose over the city life or the bush, and the bush is where I shall be until my last breath, unless I win a hell of a lot of money to buy something on the waters edge.

Concrete tile roof with reflective thermal insulation under, later adding a couple of whirly birds to release some of the hot air under the roof line, works really well, tried and tested, perfect, the thermal reflective insulation delaying the time the heat penetrates and worth every baht 60,000 spent.

No batts on top of the suspended ceiling yet, as I wanted to test some things I had done before this summer and so far so good, so don't think I will require them at this point in time, but if further works in progress show otherwise that will be my last thing to do, i.e. install ceiling batts, maybe to keep the cold air from going straight up into the roof space 555

The things I did was build an outdoor covered area 80m2 which covered 3 walls, eg like a u shape and the sun doesn't touch those walls any more so that has cooled the place down a lot, then we built an outside kitchen and laundry which is about 2.5 wide x about 12 meters long and runs the length of that section of our house wall, again, the sun doesn't touch the house so its cooled down a lot, i.e. used to get so hot by 10am it was like an oven, now it takes till about 2pm-3pm when the sun comes around to the front of the house, and that is when the air con in living room at front part of house goes on, as does the air con in the family room down the back part of the house, with both air cons swing adjusted to point to the ground where I put a fan on high and they blow the cold air in the set fan direction of each air conditioner to maximise coverage, and to do the 6 bedroom house quicker. Next month we are having a covered area 3.5 x 13 put up at the front of the house which will stop the sun from hitting the front of the house walls, that should solve any issue with the house heating up at all. 

The bedrooms are on the side that don't see the sun, so that wall 31 metres in length won't need any cover.

We close all curtains and I put snakes, as I called them along/under the doors that are closed at first so as to stop the cold air entering the bedrooms, then when the place is cold I open up the doors.

The two air cons of 6 are only running from 2pm-3pm till 6pm then I turn them off, the place remains at a nice temp till around 9-10pm when everybody goes to bed and switches their air cons on (3) at 26 degree till about 6am, its the perfect temp, no too cold, just nice. 

As for the electricity bill, never been over 3,000 baht which for me is cheap when comparing electricity prices back home, which I would say would be triple that.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

As for the electricity bill, never been over 3,000 baht which for me is cheap when comparing electricity prices back home, which I would say would be triple that.

Brilliant design .........

So how come my 3 bedroom 'concrete sweatbox', on a concrete estate, housing 4 of us only has top bills of 1,500bht/month.

We run a fridge/freezer, chest freezer, air-con and all the other usual stuff.

On 5/20/2018 at 4:26 AM, akirasan said:

Our house we are in now is an oven. It's an old Thai style raised wooden house with paper thin walls and a tin roof. I'm currently looking at ceiling fan options. 

After 2 years it's gotten easier. If I know it's going to be a hot day I start drinking water early and keep it up throughout the day.  

Your partner will probably object, but if you thatch the tin roof with palm fronds/leaves (like the old days) it will cut down the heat absorbed by it (and radiated into the living space) considerably.

Also fit ceiling with horizontal through-draught if not already existing.

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

From Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy:

(To the painter Mr. PeDelford who nods through this entire spiel)

Muriel Blandings: I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green. Now, the dining room. I'd like yellow. Not just yellow; a very gay yellow. Something bright and sunshine-y. I tell you, Mr. PeDelford, if you'll send one of your men to the grocer for a pound of their best butter, and match that exactly, you can't go wrong! Now, this is the paper we're going to use in the hall. It's flowered, but I don't want the ceiling to match any of the colors of the flowers. There's some little dots in the background, and it's these dots I want you to match. Not the little greenish dot near the hollyhock leaf, but the little bluish dot between the rosebud and the delphinium blossom. Is that clear? (ETC) ... Oh, excuse me...

Mr. PeDelford: You got that Charlie?

Charlie, Painter: Red, green, blue, yellow, white.

Mr. PeDelford: Check.

4 hours ago, murraynz said:

its very unhealthy and expensive living like this----simple and healthier to find a condo near the sea and hgher up,where there is a constant breeze...my power is 300thb per mth, use fan sometimes...

windows and ranchsliders open 24/7==fresh air

being confined indoors with air cond, must be terribly boring..whats the point of living in thailand ???

early morning is good time  to go for walk or run, for exercise in cooler air ...

It is a myth that cold air makes you sick. The sickness comes from bacteria and virus, not from cold air or would you say people in Alaska get sicker that those in Florida because of the cold air?

By the way, I am not confined indoor because of the heat, I regularly enjoy my sweating hot outdoor time but I just need to have the aircon running all day to keep the house cold like a fridge.

Fresh air in Thailand? A myth. Check PM 2.5 readings all over Thailand. I use 3M filtrete on my aircons and regardless in which part of Thailand, it always gets black very quickly.

It is a myth that cold air makes you sick. The sickness comes from bacteria and virus, not from cold air or would you say people in Alaska get sicker that those in Florida because of the cold air?

From my experience is difference in temperature, inside AC very cold and outside hot. I feel a lot healthier with minimum AC

On 5/20/2018 at 11:26 AM, geriatrickid said:

You make an excellent point. There is a concrete gated housing project in Hua Hin that  boggles the mind. Everything is paved over. I mean everything. There are houses, but there are no yards per say, just semi walled enclosures which are cemented and asphalted over. Few shade trees. The place gets so hot during the day. I don't know what the developer was thinking

Either he was a Farang or anticipated getting more money from Farangs for their low maintenance town house

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, transam said:

No, I built our place in an area where it has access to a breeze, not surrounded by concrete..

That certainly helps but then there are days like today.  My condo is about as close to the ocean as you can get--about 50 meters--and usually there is a nice, cooling ocean breeze but not today.  Nope. Nada. There was a bit of a breeze but it still felt very hot...yes, like an oven.  Hope you had better luck today where you are.

If it gets too hot I like to decamp to Khoa Kho - 22c there today - its about 2 hours drive for me but it's always cool and Thai's think it's like Switzerland ? Some interesting tips on how to keep your house cool on this thread - I will definitely have to get some vented eves.

Yeah, it is easy. My house has a/c. I tend to stay in during the heat of the day--you know what they say about mad dogs and Englishmen. If I do go out, I take my car if headed into traffic; it has a/c. If headed out in the country, I ride my Harley. When you go fast enough you are cooled by the wind. I know all the a/c bars and restaurants and all the friend's houses with a/c. Unlike so many of you Brits, we had a/c in the fifties. So, I am quite comfortable with a/c; so nice to cozy-up next to your sweetie.

Archived