Living in an oven

Pat in Pattaya

I'm lucky in living high up a hill near the coast. Near constant breezes. Swimming pool helps! Seldom need a/c. When up north I rent a two-story house with pond and trees. Gets hot upstairs but tiled downstairs is cool. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, newnative said:

That certainly helps but then there are days like today.  My condo is about as close to the ocean as you can get--about 50 meters--and usually there is a nice, cooling ocean breeze but not today.  Nope. Nada. There was a bit of a breeze but it still felt very hot...yes, like an oven.  Hope you had better luck today where you are.

I have 4 ceiling fans as backup in the lounge area, bedrooms have them too.. I really did do a lot of homework thinking ahead when building our place...There's one spinning over my head now...:stoner:

We live in Khon Kaen in Isaan and whilst we do love it here coz we’re near family this last few weeks it’s been unbearable. As we’re in a hot city it’s very difficult to exercise in our usual way which is walking every day. So we’re spending far too much time just sitting in the AC coz the house is just a concrete storage heater and without the AC it would be unbearable.

Can I ask if anyone has had experience of both Issan and a beach region and what their experiences are with heat management? We intend to spend most of each year in Thailand but it’s just not much fun sitting in the AC during the hot season so we’re wondering about a move to the coast.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Riojasue said:

We live in Khon Kaen in Isaan and whilst we do love it here coz we’re near family this last few weeks it’s been unbearable. As we’re in a hot city it’s very difficult to exercise in our usual way which is walking every day. So we’re spending far too much time just sitting in the AC coz the house is just a concrete storage heater and without the AC it would be unbearable.

Can I ask if anyone has had experience of both Issan and a beach region and what their experiences are with heat management? We intend to spend most of each year in Thailand but it’s just not much fun sitting in the AC during the hot season so we’re wondering about a move to the coast.

Thanks everyone.

Try to make a draft in the house,open thew indows and do not use the aircon.If you use aircon you will never get used to the heat.

Use a fan or a few instead.Near the coast it also gets hot,we have a breeze here most hot days but it is also hot air that is being blown around.Wake up early around six and do you walking,when it gets too hot go inside and relax.It is too bad you do not have a few large trees which can provide shade that helps a lot.

This year we have not used the aircon yet,we sleep with a fan and that is enough.

10 hours ago, Riojasue said:

Thanks everyone.

I really don't get your problem. First of all, the coasts are hotter than Isaan but you can take a look at Chiang Mai which is somehow colder but can be hot during the day anyway

Then, what again is the problem? You do need to sit in front of the aircon if you don't want to. But if you keep it running, it ain't a health issue, so why you don't check what temperature you are most comfortable with and then let the aircon do it?

Otherwise, I do not want to write it but you choose the wrong country, because in Thailand it gets hot, you know?

On 5/21/2018 at 10:18 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Brilliant design .........

So how come my 3 bedroom 'concrete sweatbox', on a concrete estate, housing 4 of us only has top bills of 1,500bht/month.

We run a fridge/freezer, chest freezer, air-con and all the other usual stuff.

You got me on that one, goo d luck to yah.

We have a lot of LD lighting in the house i.e. down lights, we also leave 3 censor lights on at night, two lights on at the gate are on all night, the 3 air cons, a large fridge, an oven, 2 x washing machines, 10 fans, water pump with 2 x 1,000 litre tanks that draw water from the main to refill every time the water is on 6 x showers, dishes, and the wife has a thirsty veggie patch which gets watered every day, laptop on from the minute I am up till I sleep, and 3 TV's.

Now 3,000 baht is not a lot as I mentioned, and we are home all day, except for the kids when they go to school x 4.

I would say your household is probably half the people and appliances we have ?

12 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

The aircons really needs a lot of maintenance to keep that level. But I use the bigger editions, so they are able to cool it that way.

That's pretty nippley at 16c

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You got me on that one, goo d luck to yah.

We have a lot of LD lighting in the house i.e. down lights, we also leave 3 censor lights on at night, two lights on at the gate are on all night, the 3 air cons, a large fridge, an oven, 2 x washing machines, 10 fans, water pump with 2 x 1,000 litre tanks that draw water from the main to refill every time the water is on 6 x showers, dishes, and the wife has a thirsty veggie patch which gets watered every day, laptop on from the minute I am up till I sleep, and 3 TV's.

Now 3,000 baht is not a lot as I mentioned, and we are home all day, except for the kids when they go to school x 4.

I would say your household is probably half the people and appliances we have ?

Wow.  See your not concerned about the environment or global warming..... you will just get more air conditioners lol.

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Wow.  See your not concerned about the environment or global warming..... you will just get more air conditioners lol.

Have enough air conditioner (6) one which isn't working and will not have it fixed as its in my study and we use fans until the heat becomes unbearable, so why suffer ?

All air conditioners (3) (4) at the most on at one time are set at 26 degrees and are inverters so they idol when the rooms are cool enough, all appliances are high rated (energy savers) if you can believe that, all lights are LED.

Apart from that would you like me to continue sweating as I type this reply because I don't have the fan on ? Sorry to disappoint house has warmed up enough to warrant the fan, and as it gets hotter the A/C will come on, probably in 45 minutes.

No point in being uncomfortable is you can afford it, we do our bit, so take a look around and ask some Thais what lights they are running, and the ones without air conditioners don't have them because they can't afford the electricity bill IMO

Regardless if I am concerned about the environment or not, take a look at the big companies, not little miss missy...hiss hiss

Well even though I have 2 working air conditioners, I too am concerned about the environment so I knocked out the west wall and installed one of these to suck in cool air from the east side later in the day -- a bit noisy at night but at least it drowns out the chickens and dogs nearby.

Image result for wind tunnel

On 5/21/2018 at 4:37 PM, Suradit69 said:

Haven't been to a movie theater here in years, but in the past they always seemed more suitable for long term meat storage.

For later consummation in the bedroom ??? 

On 5/21/2018 at 10:18 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Brilliant design .........

So how come my 3 bedroom 'concrete sweatbox', on a concrete estate, housing 4 of us only has top bills of 1,500bht/month.

We run a fridge/freezer, chest freezer, air-con and all the other usual stuff.

Just an update, spoke to the wife about the 3,000 baht a month and she said no, that was when we had the builder working here for two months, i.e. using his drill, compressor etc etc, and we just received our monthly electricity bill less the week we went to Pattaya, it came in at a staggering 1,467 baht, so I would average that out to say about 2,000 baht a month in the summer months when we use the air conditioners, as opposed to 3,000 baht a month.

She also Gave me the last 4 electricity bills and I have no idea of the months, but would say last months was 2,230B then down as we used the air conditioners less or not at all.

1,297.51B, 1,014.96B & 980.16B, so looks like I was gloating as usual 555

Well there is the old joke that if you play a country music record backwards, you get your job back, your wife stops sleeping with other men, and your dog comes home.

I guess the ThaiVisa version of the backwards record is that you give you Thai wife and her family lots of money, your kid isn't the smartest in the class, and you have a sky-high electric bill.

On 5/22/2018 at 3:54 PM, Riojasue said:

Thanks everyone.

Maybe too late for you, but you have to build you house smart from the beginning.  Now days, that's QCON blocks with an air gap between outter and inner walls.  Vented attic void.  Insulation on top of the ceiling.

Otherwise your a/c units are working over time to compensate for the attic void heat pushing down into your house, and the concrete walls heat up from the outside sun and from the attic void, turning your house into an oven.  And your air conditioner work very hard trying to achieve the temperature you demand on the remote control setting. 

On 5/20/2018 at 8:22 PM, moose7117 said:

are you guys serious ?

i work a stones throw from Marble Bar (google it) and i come home to tropical Thailand monthly.

It aint hot here guys !

40 degrees is perfect weather to perform manual labour in, we Aussies have been doing it for decades.

Doing it in chains doesn't count lol

• 4 months later...

re post #20 by 55 Jay on May 20

I've searched this site and this was the only page with a hit for the term "security screen" or "security door"

I've been looking for products like this...  https://shadeandshutter.com/security-screens/ 

None of the major home improvement / building shops seem to stock them around Chiang Mai.

Anyone know where they can be bought in Thailand?

Any comments on quality of local product?

14 minutes ago, Max11man said:

re post #20 by 55 Jay on May 20

I've searched this site and this was the only page with a hit for the term "security screen" or "security door"

I've been looking for products like this...  https://shadeandshutter.com/security-screens/ 

None of the major home improvement / building shops seem to stock them around Chiang Mai.

Anyone know where they can be bought in Thailand?

Any comments on quality of local product?

Look up Meshtec Chiang Mai on the net. The owner was producing security mesh products for export a few years ago when I knew him. Not sure if they retail locally or if they have what you are looking for. . 

Archived