Pattaya motorcycle taxis told: No more extortion/taking advantage of tourists

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Pattaya

Following the attack on a German tourist by a Beach Road motorcycle taxi rider a meeting was arranged Sunday at Alcazar.

It was designed to issue a strong message - but several top figures were absent.

Some 50 representatives of the "win" riders were present to hear lectures from the Department of Land Transport, Bang Lamung authority and the military.

They were told that despite reorganization, training and appeals for cooperation the motorcycle taxi drivers in Pattaya were still misbehaving.

Pattaya is an important tourist destination and the "win" simply must do better said the DLT's Nopparat Sarachainakorn.

The message was clear: Be good to tourists and locals and do your job properly.

And stress was made on no more extortionate fares - no more taking advantage of anybody.

Pattayapal.com mentioned the importance of the image of Pattaya in their headline.

Last week a rider was caught on film kicking German tourist Andreas Bauer in the face as he attempted to wheel his rented bike away from a traffic stop.

His action looks like it has prompted quite a strong reaction from the authorities to clear up the bike taxis though Thaivisa notes that several more senior figures in Pattaya - and the police themselves - were notable by their absence from the meeting on Sunday.

Source: Pattayapal

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-21

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are three ways to address problems such as this one: education, education and education. My wife started giving computer education to primary 4 and 5 kids at the local school; in a class of ten, three can neither read nor right. No hopers like these will end up motorbike taxis in Pattaya, where they'll use their position of strength vis-a-vis the naive tourists to extort them while greatly enjoying doing it.

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

.…………...and with a vacant smile, they all said...…..YES!

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pattaya is an important tourist destination and the "win" simply must do better said the DLT's Nopparat Sarachainakorn.

So, people that visit, lives and use this services in Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Ubon and all other cities in Thailand are not at all important. I guess they must enforce the rules everywhere. But we can forget it´s Thailand. It will always be at the discretion of the one you meet.

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

The message might have been clear enough, but it is the understanding of said message and the likelihood of it being taken on board by the moto taxis, or should I say unlikelihood, that matters. Things like this have been happening for ages, so hoping that a message will stop further incidents, is to my mind, pretty optimistic. Throwing offenders in jail for a year or two might be a stronger message that gets a reaction.

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

taking advantage of tourists is the number 1 sport in thailand

The article did not say all that was told to the motorcycle taxis by the authorities regarding the tourists. They also said no more extortion money unless we people get 50% of it.

Just now, mok199 said:

didn't they have this discussion last year..apparently the children don't listen well

Yeah, they did But I think the main issue and they needed to re-programmed was to be told by the  Authorities that they would be expecting a cut of50% given to them instead of the normal 35%of the extortion money they receive from tourists. Otherwise, it would become difficult for them to operate.

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

So, people that visit, lives and use this services in Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Ubon and all other cities in Thailand are not at all important. I guess they must enforce the rules everywhere. But we can forget it´s Thailand. It will always be at the discretion of the one you meet.

Don't think any of the cities you mentioned have a MC taxi service? seems to be limited only to certain places.

10 minutes ago, CGW said:

Don't think any of the cities you mentioned have a MC taxi service? seems to be limited only to certain places.

Are you joking with me? Even small cities like Yasothon and Kut Chum have. They are everywhere. First time to Thailand? ?

I live 10 years in Bkk and drive with motosai taxi about daily from condo to Rama 4 it was just little under 1 kilometer and cost daily 10 Baht but all round in Pattaya the minimum charge is 40 Baht so I just wondering why or what make from Pattaya motorbike taxi so expensive in Pattaya?

Same Pattaya taxi cars, from Second road - Soi Diana in corner to Khao Talo is about 4 kilometer and cost 400 Baht (never open meter even demand rather they kick passanger out than open meter) but when I live in Bkk and get taxi fare often from Phra Khanong BTS to Suvarnaphumi 22km without highway toll and cost about 180 - 220 Baht (with hightway + 40-60B) and always drive with meter on so my question is that what make Pattaya taxi so much more expensive in Pattaya than in Bkk or do the taxi drivers have right to rob all passangers in Pattaya or how, cause I never trust that pattaya gasoline, gas or other car user expences are so much more expensive than in Bkk, and why Pattaya taxis not need to use meters?

5 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

There are three ways to address problems such as this one: education, education and education. My wife started giving computer education to primary 4 and 5 kids at the local school; in a class of ten, three can neither read nor right. No hopers like these will end up motorbike taxis in Pattaya, where they'll use their position of strength vis-a-vis the naive tourists to extort them while greatly enjoying doing it.

There is only one problem,the taxi riders have to pay to much to their bosses and these bosses are the police 

Never forget one aspect of this situation. The police here are not engaged in law enforcement. They are revenue collection agents. Pure and simple. So, do not count on them to ever do the right thing, nor to engage in any behavior that benefits the public welfare, traffic safety, or assistance to the people.

Well then ..... that really was all just a waste of everybody’s time and money. I laude the DLT for their lead in taking up a stance on the matter but unfortunately you cannot unteach what is ingrained into the genes of these guys.

Archived