Pattaya motorcycle taxis told: No more extortion/taking advantage of tourists

webfact

With senior figures and the police themselves excusing themselves from the meeting it goes to show just what they think of the "set-up" as it is.. 

"Carry-on rip-off & bad service"

Don't expect change anytime soon!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new rule has been drafted, good !....Now everybody would just need to agree in which year it will be implemented.

And it may be a bit hard to convince locals not to take advantage of tourists, in a country that has openly been using dual pricing for decades.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The message might have been clear enough, but it is the understanding of said message and the likelihood of it being taken on board by the moto taxis, or should I say unlikelihood, that matters. Things like this have been happening for ages, so hoping that a message will stop further incidents, is to my mind, pretty optimistic. Throwing offenders in jail for a year or two might be a stronger message that gets a reaction.

I reckon this message will have the same impact and success as when taxi drivers were told they must always use their meters and never refuse a fare.

Another resounding success to be chalked up in the long list of improvements to everyone's life. Three cheers!

53 minutes ago, connda said:

Rothflmbo.  What next?  Instructing jet ski operators to not run the 'damaged jet ski' scam? 

No longer an issue in Pattaya; unless you can prove differently. Scamming was stopped about 3 years ago. Sorry to introduce facts to your story.

When I go out with my favorite quote on TV, she who must be obeyed, I ask how much to ride. When they say 50 baht I ask for both. When they say no each, I say ok.. but 2 bikes then, one for each..probably didn't matter, but makes me feel better..
I agree but when I'm with a ST i don't want her to get lost on the way

11 hours ago, Darcula said:

Lots of boys in brown there.

Why not...

A little bit of fake boobies to go with the fake bobbies..

And the fake promises..

And the closing comment was..

"A big thank you to all those 500 baht fines, that continue to makeTHESE functions possible ".

The next meeting if the 500 club will be held on beach road Friday night. 

All contributions will be accepted. 

NO receipts....

Anyone thinking about avoiding the collection point should take note of the new camera system  in place.

FB_IMG_1526735621647.jpg

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I find it funny when its 50 baht for one and 100 baht for two, good job taxi cars don't try the same thing

Had to use bike taxi to hospital because of car problems. 

Wife had a kidney infection and doubled with pain.

Siam country club to the hospital. 

Bike for one 80 baht.

Two passengers x2 =160 baht.

Such compassion these guys.

Had to use bike taxi to hospital because of car problems. 
Wife had a kidney infection and doubled with pain.

Siam country club to the hospital. 
Bike for one 80 baht.
Two passengers x2 =160 baht.

Such compassion these guys.
Oh yes taxi drivers and hospitals will take advantage of the sick

22 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

There are three ways to address problems such as this one: education, education and education. My wife started giving computer education to primary 4 and 5 kids at the local school; in a class of ten, three can neither read nor right. No hopers like these will end up motorbike taxis in Pattaya, where they'll use their position of strength vis-a-vis the naive tourists to extort them while greatly enjoying doing it.

I take it you mean write & not right 

On 5/21/2018 at 3:25 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I find it funny when its 50 baht for one and 100 baht for two, good job taxi cars don't try the same thing

The funny thing is when people agree to it. Actually not funny at all.

Just allows the greedy to become more audacious.

The funny thing is when people agree to it. Actually not funny at all.
Just allows the greedy to become more audacious.
I have not seen any willing to go anywhere for 50 for 2. I always suggest a price and say for 2.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I have not seen any willing to go anywhere for 50 for 2. I always suggest a price and say for 2.

??

You seem to have missed the point. If it's 50 baht, it's 50 baht for one motorcycle and one passenger.

If there are two people, then you take two motorcycles.

You don't then pay 100 baht for two people on one motorcycle.

If they suggest you both go on one motorcycle, they'd better be offering you a substantial discount for your discomfort. Say 75 baht for two.

If one is so ridiculous as to allow them to get away with that scam, it's time for a refresher at the School of Common Sense.

Laugh gently at their attempted scam and either suggest your modified offer or insist on two bikes.

??

You seem to have missed the point. If it's 50 baht, it's 50 baht for one motorcycle and one passenger.

If there are two people, then you take two motorcycles.

You don't then pay 100 baht for two people on one motorcycle.

If they suggest you both go on one motorcycle, they'd better be offering you a substantial discount for your discomfort. Say 75 baht for two.

If one is so ridiculous as to allow them to get away with that scam, it's time for a refresher at the School of Common Sense.

Laugh gently at their attempted scam and either suggest your modified offer or insist on two bikes.

As others have mentioned, if you get 2 bikes, be prepared for your barfine to get lost or losing her completely.

When you are doing something that is illegal, you need to be prepared grease the palms some.

Either case, have YOU been able to consistently get them to take you up on your 50 baht for 2 offer?

On 5/21/2018 at 2:40 PM, NextStationBangkok said:

This news has been going viral for 20 years. But seems it will keep going for ever, until these guys are electronically tagged for calculating the fair.

If you think its bad in Thailand try a visit to Saigon bike taxi dearer than a taxi lol

3 hours ago, hioctane said:

As others have mentioned, if you get 2 bikes, be prepared for your barfine to get lost or losing her completely.

When you are doing something that is illegal, you need to be prepared grease the palms some.

Either case, have YOU been able to consistently get them to take you up on your 50 baht for 2 offer?

What on earth are you going on about? Who wrote anything about 50 baht for 2??

Oh right, that is just you.

If you are gullible enough to ask for a price for two, they will just double the price for one person and then put you both on one bike.

Just ask the price for one person and then take two bikes. ?

Of course, dodgy 'win' such as those at either side of Walking Street are so used to overcharging even for single fares, that they may take their chances and wait for the next idiot to come along.

Illegal? Taking a girl back to your place? How is that illegal?

What is illegal is having three adults on a bike.

As to the nonsense about your barfine getting lost....the 'Win' is not going to waste his time and money getting lost.

He wants rid and on to the next job.

Archived