Pattaya motorcycle taxis told: No more extortion/taking advantage of tourists

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question you should ask yourself is why are you riding on a taxi bike without a helmet ? And even 2 on 1 bike ?

Would you do that in your home country ? Do you think it's safe to do that in Thailand?  Do you have proper insurance?

That would worry me , but fortunately I do not ride any type of motorbikes .

On 5/21/2018 at 2:11 PM, spidermike007 said:

Never forget one aspect of this situation. The police here are not engaged in law enforcement. They are revenue collection agents. Pure and simple. So, do not count on them to ever do the right thing, nor to engage in any behavior that benefits the public welfare, traffic safety, or assistance to the people.

i think you are forgetting, when its a farang perp, that steal a phone or rob a money booth xchange, they catch them within hours

11 hours ago, Hoppyone said:

If you think its bad in Thailand try a visit to Saigon bike taxi dearer than a taxi lol

At least you have a better chance to get a next best taxi who can switch on meter.

But all Bike Soigon are hooligans.  I strongly believe that they all should be electronically tagged while coming for work.

If first one will asked for 40(Instead of 20), if you like to try the next one, he will tell 60 with a laugh. We are not lucky enough to use a shot gun for Baht.500 penalty like our Thai friends.

On 5/21/2018 at 8:48 AM, KiChakayan said:

There are three ways to address problems such as this one: education, education and education. My wife started giving computer education to primary 4 and 5 kids at the local school; in a class of ten, three can neither read nor right. No hopers like these will end up motorbike taxis in Pattaya, where they'll use their position of strength vis-a-vis the naive tourists to extort them while greatly enjoying doing it.

'read nor RIGHT' The irony.

have paid my fair share of "tourist" fees.... but when my wife and i caught 2 Motorbike Taxi's and she instructed me not to pay more than 20B for such a small trip, as he pulled up and he said "40 Baht" i said in Thai language as i handed it to him, " see that woman there? don't let her see this money because she is my wife and will have very strong words for you". His eyes popped out as he thought how to avoid that situation and gave me several "wai's".

On 5/21/2018 at 2:48 AM, KiChakayan said:

There are three ways to address problems such as this one: education, education and education. My wife started giving computer education to primary 4 and 5 kids at the local school; in a class of ten, three can neither read nor right. No hopers like these will end up motorbike taxis in Pattaya, where they'll use their position of strength vis-a-vis the naive tourists to extort them while greatly enjoying doing it.

You just have to laugh !!  I'll let you work it out....?

Archived