Getting down to my ideal weight

Dave8237

Hi I am  57, height 5 ft 7 ins, my weight back in October 2017 was 97 kg with a waist size of 38 inch.......January this year I thought enough is enough so I got a bike....I live in the out skirts of Loeng Nok Tha, and have the a nice piece of quite road from the home up to the 212, round trip is 20 KM, I've been doing this now since mid January...... and have covered just under 2,000 km. Have only missed a few days due to rain or we've gone of somewhere.

As of today I am 80.9 Kg lost 16.1 kg and a waist of 36 inch, my BMI is still a little over at 27.9, and my ideal weight is about 76 kg........

I still Drink the odd Chang, I was never a heavy drinker, and I am an ex smoker too, no snacks and my morning coffee is now a Black iced one, no sugar form my local Amazon, and have only one small portion of rice every over day. 

Oh and by the way I had open heart surgery in 2012,  for Mitral and Tricusid heart valve repair, Mitral has an Edwards physio annuloplasty ring in it.

I take Ramipril, Bisoprolol and Pradaxa (dabigatranu) every day...........

Only problem is my shorts don't fit me and my shirts are too big..........

14 minutes ago, Dave8237 said:

As of today I am 80.9 Kg lost 16.1 kg and a waist of 36 inch, my BMI is still a little over at 27.9, and my ideal weight is about 76 kg........

Problem is, getting to your ideal weight doesn't really work, with that final 5Kg gone, you will keep your paunch, have stick arms and legs, with a face like a skull.

I've not found any way round this.

Just now, MaeJoMTB said:

Problem is, getting to your ideal weight doesn't really work, with that final 5Kg gone, you will keep your paunch, have stick arms and legs, with a face like a skull.

Not sure how old you are... but that is what weight lifting or other resistance exercise is for during a diet. To hold on to muscle as much as possible so you don't end up the way you describe. If your older this is of course harder to do. 

But the last bit of weight is always the hardest, we are build to store fat around the hips and belly (males). There are some tricks that may or may not help. Yohimbine is supposed to help if you use it with fasted exercise. It is supposed to make blood flow better at those areas. The fat in that area has little blood supply so its hard to be used. 

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I have through experimenting...But, my legs are a different matter....I am still trying to find a solution, I may solve it...?

Problem is, getting to your ideal weight doesn't really work, with that final 5Kg gone, you will keep your paunch, have stick arms and legs, with a face like a skull.

LoL, that's me as well! My legs aren't bad 'cos of my daily cycling, but my face definitely has sunken cheeks, and as for my puny arms....

I 'disguise' my appearance by always wearing skin-tight, see-through latex cycling clothes, so that everyone can attribute my body shape to my excessive cycling hobby.

If that doesn't work, their thoughts move from my facial appearance to my genital appearance :)

Seriously, I could solve my sunken cheeks by eating more, but I prefer my current weight and waist-size.

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

2 years ago I got down to 76kgs and felt good about myself. I am 181cms tall. Apparently that is nearly down to my ideal weight. I was born with skinny legs so no big deal. But my girlfriend said my face was just too skinny and she did not like it. I went up to 78-79 and maintained that weight up until earlier this year when I was injured and had to stop exercising for 6 weeks. In that short time my weight increased to 83kgs all of it around my middle but at least my now wife says my face looks much better. You just cannot win.

I am now back to exercising and down to 81.5. Hopefully, in a month or so I will be back to 79 where I intend to keep it (malnourished face or otherwise).   

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

2 years ago I got down to 76kgs and felt good about myself. I am 181cms tall. Apparently that is nearly down to my ideal weight. I was born with skinny legs so no big deal. But my girlfriend said my face was just too skinny and she did not like it. I went up to 78-79 and maintained that weight up until earlier this year when I was injured and had to stop exercising for 6 weeks. In that short time my weight increased to 83kgs all of it around my middle but at least my now wife says my face looks much better. You just cannot win.

I am now back to exercising and down to 81.5. Hopefully, in a month or so I will be back to 79 where I intend to keep it (malnourished face or otherwise).   

For some reason my face is almost the last to go, belly too but that is natural. I don't get the skinny legs problem because I do leg exercises that add muscle. Will see how low I can go this time.

• 4 weeks later...

too funny. you lose weight to be healthy and prevent illness then concern yourself with your looks. don't be so vain. all that really matters is the type of person you are. anyone who would say your looks or opinion are more important than the example you make is not worth listening to. congrats on sticking with it. 

...then concern yourself with your looks. don't be so vain.

Looking around in Thailand at the huge number of obese, sweaty, unfit and unhealthy Westerners, I'd say having a bit of vanity isn't a bad thing.  Looks isn't just about 'looking good' - it is also about being healthy. (Why is my facial skin in good and healthy condition? ==> because I look after it, keep out of the sun, use moisteriser, don't smoke etc)

1 hour ago, Peasandmash said:

too funny. you lose weight to be healthy and prevent illness then concern yourself with your looks. don't be so vain. all that really matters is the type of person you are. anyone who would say your looks or opinion are more important than the example you make is not worth listening to. congrats on sticking with it. 

You must never get haircuts or clean your teeth. Activities of the vain.

At the end of the day what you eat/drink in relation to what you burn off is the key to weight loss and looking OK...

Old guys just don't need the grub we ate during our working life..

It is difficult to get ones head in gear to reduce grub/drink intake, l have the T-shirt..But once I got there it gave me motivation as my goals were met. Yes I still drink a few beers cos that is what I want to do, I just found a happy medium..

• 4 weeks later...

Archived