Without Warning, Fuel Prices Rise To 3-Year High

webfact

Without Warning, Fuel Prices Rise To 3-Year High

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

1-28-728x438-696x419.jpg

Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — Steady hikes to oil prices this month have the transport sector jittery and consumers unhappy they’re no longer notified in advance as the cost per liter rose to the highest level in over three years.

After diesel prices increased by more than 2 baht in the past month following a recently announced policy barring advance disclosure of price changes due to antitrust concerns, people are complaining it is meant to leave the public in the dark.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/05/21/without-warning-fuel-prices-rise-to-3-year-high/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-21

Good. Perhaps it will entice some locals to actually WALK those pathetic 70 yards to the next 7-Eleven or "kap khao" shop instead of feeling compelled to drive every single centimeter of distance they need to cover in their lives. 

Good news. Let's hope it gets much more expensive. People should walk when going on errands of 3k distance or less, that's why we have legs.  And imagine how beautiful Thai country roads would be with 80% less traffic.

"Record" prices about everywhere.

Record of course only in this 3 year perspective.

A long period of cheap oil has ended.

I don't want to kill the mood, but I expect the Diesel price will be capped at 30 Baht as it was for many years.

So not much hope that the pickup drivers will rethink their behavior (like running motor at the Tesco parking lot for Sunday family shopping :post-4641-1156693976:)

Without Warning? Lol.  I don't think so.  Perhaps for the unobservant in society, which is the majority, who don't watch global oil prices or care about geopolitic.  Too preoccupied watching soap operas, mindless game show, and staring at their Smartphones to notice what is happening in the world.  Anyone who has there head out of the sand could see this coming and understand why. 

Very predictable as the Donald once again went into a kindergarten fight with Iran and economic sanctions.

But maybe it was well planned to hike the stocks and the price of oil.

Those chuckling at the oil price soar, do not realise if oil prices hike, anything depending on transport will also soar (in other words, almost everything will increase).

So good many posts prefer high prices to low prices, not only that but don't have a care about the disabled with walking/mobility problems.

Don't agree with your view, I am not looking forward to increased fuel prices leading increased cost of goods, increased food prices etc etc but then I probably don't have load of cash to splash around.

While I see how a consumer might see this is being “in the dark”, i do think that advance announcements of pending price hikes is a bad market policy from a competitve marketplace perspective.... only because it does, IMHO, open the door to easier market pricing and/or market supply acts of collusion between independent players.

16 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Good news. Let's hope it gets much more expensive. People should walk when going on errands of 3k distance or less, that's why we have legs.  And imagine how beautiful Thai country roads would be with 80% less traffic.

I'd settle for 80% less soi dogs!

19 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Good. Perhaps it will entice some locals to actually WALK those pathetic 70 yards to the next 7-Eleven or "kap khao" shop instead of feeling compelled to drive every single centimeter of distance they need to cover in their lives.

I think they will still drive to 7-eleven but they might switch the engine off. I magine a local saying 'I am walking today to save fuel '   Such a loss of face.

16 hours ago, kickstart said:

It might stop Thai's from leaving they pick-ups running when they are in 7-11, or where ever, keeping the air con going .

a most annoying habit. 

An engine running to keep the air-con going I can put up with... 
sitting next to a stinky sweating Thai I cannot!!!

3 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Gas prices are going up all.over the world. Wait till they started adding that stupid carbon tax on at the pump like they just did in Canada. Then you will see the crying.

Not me, I ride a bicycle. ?

prices will raise more and more due to climate changes. They want to cut back co2 in air.

NOT for big companies which produce large amounts of co2, we have to pay for it.

In the meantime the governments get more money from the petrol. So cut two ways for governments.

Only the rich (again) arent bothered by the raises. It means in a nutshell, only if you are rich you can drive.

I do agree with the people in the forum, Thai let their motor running too much and are lazy to walk.

Thailand is the same as the UK

people will use their cars and moan about the price of fuel but do nothing about it 

only difference I can see is using the public transport in Thailand is cheaper

and more available than the UK 

52 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Thailand is the same as the UK

people will use their cars and moan about the price of fuel but do nothing about it 

only difference I can see is using the public transport in Thailand is cheaper

and more available than the UK 

Say what you like about Thailand public transport is good, use to be better especially in rural areas but still ok, Bangkok must be one of the best city's for public transport and it is not expensive (someone is going to contradict me).

Last time I was in the uk  I used a coach and a bus to get from Northampton  to Maidenhead, vie Heathrow 80 miles .5 hours, I use to drive it in 1, 1/2 hours, no wonder people drive the whole time  

23 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Clever - only those who have to drive distances for work, school runs, hospital trips etc, that can't easily be walked will be screwed.

Luddite!

31 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Say what you like about Thailand public transport is good, use to be better especially in rural areas but still ok, Bangkok must be one of the best city's for public transport and it is not expensive (someone is going to contradict me).

Last time I was in the uk  I used a coach and a bus to get from Northampton  to Maidenhead, vie Heathrow 80 miles .5 hours, I use to drive it in 1, 1/2 hours, no wonder people drive the whole time  

Good job you didn't try and do it by rail - 555!

20 hours ago, connda said:

Without Warning? Lol.  I don't think so.  Perhaps for the unobservant in society, which is the majority, who don't watch global oil prices or care about geopolitic.  Too preoccupied watching soap operas, mindless game show, and staring at their Smartphones to notice what is happening in the world.  Anyone who has there head out of the sand could see this coming and understand why. 

Yep, no surprise, i had been wondering for quiet some time why petrol (and diesel-) prices haven't risen here for a long time meanwhile they went up in most other countries worldwide.

Archived