Do you really like living in Thailand?

Matptg

Hi everyone,

I've been living in Bkk since last October but only lately I really started not to like being in here. Small things I can turn my eye blind are the lack of proper means of transportation (only few areas, if you consider the size of the town) which leads to heavy traffic always (only night time is ok), apparently no driving rules, the being labeled as "farang" ( in my country we rather use "tourist", which I find more appropriate and less rude), and quite often the barrier doesn' t stand only in the language (many times I happened to go to a restaurant and despite pointing out with my fingers on the menu the wished meal....ok you got it, don't you? :)

Now, the big deal here is indeed the society. I can no longer stand it. The wealthy ones in here I would just slap them all day long. I observe them a lot and I can tell you they are very arrogant and rude too, but not least mindset of a child. Yes, talking to a 15 or a 65 looks exactly the same and you can understand the old man has been spoiled all life. To make a couple of examples, I was in this coffee place up to pay at the cashier and this couple ( around 40 y.o.) step before me. I said them I was there first and to step back, the man looked at me and...smiled. I told him please don't smile it's not a situation that requires a smile. He smiled more. I happened to hold the door to let people pass and they didn't even make a slight gesture and only SMILED AGAIN when rudely I say them CRAP (or whatever it writes).

They consider themselves very polite. I once marked to a guy that politeness doesn't stand only in talking low voice.

These men, they are not men. When I deal with them to me looks like I am dealing with a 8 y.o. girl, really, I am not exaggerating. When I look at their faces I see girls, not men.They depend too much on their families, like they never fly. My gf told me that nor her or other friends never worked a single day in their life ( before graduating) because for the families it's like showing they are poor. I am a firm believer that working makes you grow. I know many people that at their 15 they were working as a delivery pizza or mcdonald's despite having rich families behind. I see them getting into a bar and not even say a simple "hi" to the workers, I see them when they pay at the supermarket without even looking at the cashier. And showing off, way too much. When a friend buys a new car, I buy a new one maybe more expensive. At S. Valentine day my gf showed me of her female friends posting on facebook the pics of the money they got from their husbands...I was like, seriously? how poor is to post a pics of notes on facebook to show everyone your wealthy?? When I saw my gf profile I was like...disappointed. She posted pictures of some super expensive hotels she went to with her friends and mentioned the price. And the way they follow superstars here, they even know when they go to toilet and damn, when I watched a tv serie I saw the worst acting skills ever, even I can do better.

A child is coming next December. If I raised it here one day it will grow local friends and will start to act like them, I am afraid it could be arrogant like the people here and I don't want my kid to be like that. Or a stupid dumb that follows superstars all the time, or gossiping on other when they are not present. What do you think?

Sorry for being so long but I have no one to talk with. Thank you for all the responses.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bangkok is not the best place to live as it has an edge of being too cement-ish. But it certainly does have its qualities. Lived there years ago and visit a lot, but would not live there again.  October till now is not a long time at all either. One goes through growing pains or does an about face to get the heck out of here pains.

If you are going to take your kid out of here and it sounds as if it is to the USA, then you better get started with the processes now as it will take you quite a while to sort through, and then the little lady is not guaranteed to go with you as the USA is a bit difficult with Visas.

Yes, Thai can be superficial and huge racists, but you go to Mexico and you a re a Gringo. 

Basically you are looking too hard into it so need to take another step back. the USA aint all that and I would rather live no other place except here. My kids are 23, 17,15 and half and half. 

Most major cities are pretty rude places to be. Especially when your alert to such stuff. I never liked BKK too much either. Seems over rated and not a place I'd want to be long term. I moved after a year. Would not like to be raising a child there that's for sure.

So you've lived here since last October, got your gf up the duff and are now looking for approval to bugger off home?

Nice one. In answer to your question though, yeah, I love living here.

You haven't been here very long.

Bangkok is not for everybody, I lived there for a few years a while back before I moved to Hua Hin which is a very different place, especially on the outskirts.

I would suggest that you check out Hua Hin unless of course you're tied to Bangkok for work / business purposes.

36 minutes ago, Matptg said:

I've been living in Bkk since last October but only lately I really started not to like being in here.

So a troll in Bangkok is what Thailand is all about. ? 

the dilemma is that you havnt got the cash to live up to your gf expectation,

and then to top it off she now tells you she is pregnant, adding more pressure

on your economy, and you foresee a steady stream of request of funding,

but no fun.

at least, that is the impression i get.

i found out too late in life that my instinct was always spot on,

i just never took appropriate action,

and i think your instinct is spot on,

you have a long and miserable life ahead of you,

with the wife bitching for more funds,

the kid screaming and soon enough will join the chorus

in demanding funds, your sex life will become so miserable so you actively see to it that you wont have to o through it,

party life likewise is just a memory of things that were,

but hey, look at the bright side, bkk should have nembutal for sale somewhere, hopefully

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Xanax helps I heard. When I read a story like this, I think someone is good at this clickbate at tv. But, on other hand, you never know. 

36 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Most major cities are pretty rude places to be. Especially when your alert to such stuff. I never liked BKK too much either. Seems over rated and not a place I'd want to be long term. I moved after a year. Would not like to be raising a child there that's for sure.

thank you

44 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Obviously not for you. Moving city/place is probably not the answer, moving country is. Hope the next country fits the bill but maybe you are carrying the problem with you.

no problem with me, really. Thank you for your tip

35 minutes ago, grollies said:

So you've lived here since last October, got your gf up the duff and are now looking for approval to bugger off home?

Nice one. In answer to your question though, yeah, I love living here.

nope, you're wrong. This decision will make it together

52 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Bangkok is not the best place to live as it has an edge of being too cement-ish. But it certainly does have its qualities. Lived there years ago and visit a lot, but would not live there again.  October till now is not a long time at all either. One goes through growing pains or does an about face to get the heck out of here pains.

If you are going to take your kid out of here and it sounds as if it is to the USA, then you better get started with the processes now as it will take you quite a while to sort through, and then the little lady is not guaranteed to go with you as the USA is a bit difficult with Visas.

Yes, Thai can be superficial and huge racists, but you go to Mexico and you a re a Gringo. 

Basically you are looking too hard into it so need to take another step back. the USA aint all that and I would rather live no other place except here. My kids are 23, 17,15 and half and half. 

I am an italian citizen, therefore European. We can go to live anywhere in there. Thank you for your reccomandation

36 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You haven't been here very long.

Bangkok is not for everybody, I lived there for a few years a while back before I moved to Hua Hin which is a very different place, especially on the outskirts.

I would suggest that you check out Hua Hin unless of course you're tied to Bangkok for work / business purposes.

Hua Hin is very nice. Went there last week but for a couple of nights only. No business ties me BKK. Thank you for your advice

3 minutes ago, Matptg said:

I am an italian citizen, therefore European. We can go to live anywhere in there. Thank you for your reccomandation

My apologies. Read pizza delivery and McDonalds and that threw me the USA direction. 

BTW. Taking a Thai girl out of here may cause you a different grief ( Done that once upon a time and never again). Thai's living abroad is certainly only for a very few of them, meaning the ones who can take it. Better have a bunch of money too so she does not whine and become bored. 

Good Luck 

35 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You're not wrong actually. But I am afraid this goes all over the country. Any advice?

33 minutes ago, poanoi said:

the dilemma is that you havnt got the cash to live up to your gf expectation,

and then to top it off she now tells you she is pregnant, adding more pressure

on your economy, and you foresee a steady stream of request of funding,

but no fun.

at least, that is the impression i get.

i found out too late in life that my instinct was always spot on,

i just never took appropriate action,

and i think your instinct is spot on,

you have a long and miserable life ahead of you,

with the wife bitching for more funds,

the kid screaming and soon enough will join the chorus

in demanding funds, your sex life will become so miserable so you actively see to it that you wont have to o through it,

party life likewise is just a memory of things that were,

but hey, look at the bright side, bkk should have nembutal for sale somewhere, hopefully

To answer your question, I live in a condo that costs me 23000 baht, I go out every night and I drink only Lagavulin whiskey and tequila, unlike you I suppose. What beer do you drink when you go out? Chaang or singha??

Not to mention that I got a car here. As a farang I have no access to loan therefore I had to pay the whole car to get it. It's a ford everest, I leave to you the pleasure to check its price.

Ah one more thing, do you really think a rich thai girl would even think to stay with a person not at her level?

I apologie to the readers for being arrogant, but I had to answer this gentleman

7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My apologies. Read pizza delivery and McDonalds and that threw me the USA direction. 

BTW. Taking a Thai girl out of here may cause you a different grief ( Done that once upon a time and never again). Thai's living abroad is certainly only for a very few of them, meaning the ones who can take it. Better have a bunch of money too so she does not whine and become bored. 

Good Luck 

No worry really ?

we talked about that and potentially she can run her business from another place too ( it s a family business so other relative would be present) Million thanks for your kindness and advice

40 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Xanax helps I heard. When I read a story like this, I think someone is good at this clickbate at tv. But, on other hand, you never know. 

Wrong. I am a rather wealthy person too. I am just sharing my thoughts

You sound like someone who fails to appreciate as you travel around the world that the cultural norms in other countries are completely different from your home country. You can't expect to arrive in Thailand and not find differences in behaviours. I like some aspects of Thai culture, but not all. The smiling approach is preferable to the western confrontational approach ... the avoidance of conflict over trivial matters is no bad thing. Maybe you are best staying at home?

44 minutes ago, jakethepeg said:

Not rocket science. If you like big cities ,new York, London, Sydney , Paris etc you will love Bangkok .

If you like this then go up country Isaan way ?

I lived in London, Singapore, Paris,Amsterdam and Toronto, from Milano

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

You sound like someone who fails to appreciate as you travel around the world that the cultural norms in other countries are completely different from your home country. You can't expect to arrive in Thailand and not find differences in behaviours. I like some aspects of Thai culture, but not all. The smiling approach is preferable to the western confrontational approach ... the avoidance of conflict over trivial matters is no bad thing. Maybe you are best staying at home?

Hi Alex,

I have lived in Paris, London, Singapore, Toronto, Amsterdam...I am from Milano, in Italy. I can assure you that I am extremely adaptive and only in here I find hard to adapt myself

30 minutes ago, Matptg said:

nope, you're wrong. This decision will make it together

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just say rich Thais don't like to work?

Is your girlfriend the same?

She will expect you to be the "leader" if you know what I mean. You should google the word because that's what better off Thai women will use instead of support.

I had a pretty well off Thai woman in Canada. She still expected me to be the "leader". She dumped me and I'm sour grapes, but I noticed that her husband now is some failed real estate agent and surprise, surprise.... she is a real estate agent too. Sorry, but I am in no business getting someone a job. Good riddance, after all, I guess.

Anyhoo.... I completely understand the rest of your post. I am originally your poorer neighbor from the east of Italy with the same mentality. Bangkok is a joke, but there is something that keeps me here..... the mess....the hypocrisy..... the life. I like the noise unlike the boring, suicidal life in Canada. You being from Italy, you don't have to go back to Canada, but I do. You're lucky.

29 minutes ago, Matptg said:

You're not wrong actually. But I am afraid this goes all over the country. Any advice?

To answer your question, I live in a condo that costs me 23000 baht, I go out every night and I drink only Lagavulin whiskey and tequila, unlike you I suppose. What beer do you drink when you go out? Chaang or singha??

Not to mention that I got a car here. As a farang I have no access to loan therefore I had to pay the whole car to get it. It's a ford everest, I leave to you the pleasure to check its price.

Ah one more thing, do you really think a rich thai girl would even think to stay with a person not at her level?

I apologie to the readers for being arrogant, but I had to answer this gentleman

You complain about the “arrogant Thais” and then you post this?

And, fwiw...true ballers don’t live in ฿23,000 condos and drive Fords.

28 minutes ago, Matptg said:

Hi, i am Italian too, and i like living in Thailand (not in Bkk) .

I find ironic that you condemn the arrogance of rich Thais, and then you come on TVF to flaunt about your wealth.

That said, i think you're just having a bad day, and you need to vent off a bit..If you see something you don't like, just look the other way, plenty of things to be happy instead of drowning in sorrow.

Archived