Do you really like living in Thailand?

Matptg

4 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Brilliant reply!      ...'talk about genetic deficiency.."  ! Ha!     Isaan is the place..  but I don'think the OP would fit in here either...

And can you please tell all the TV members where you come from?  I am sure we all would like to know so that we can go live there amongst the superior race that you belong to.

It does confuse and amaze me though how so many  from such "highly developed countries"  come here and lose everything to these genetically challenged citizens of Isaan .

Not you, of course...... I am sure you are different !

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not quite sure what you expect to hear from the responses to your post.

So here is my input.

1. You are someone who has no idea about SE Asia.

2. You are someone who is a typical European who expects everything ( transport etc) to work seamlessly 

3. Supposedly you have lived in some of the major capitals of Eourope ( which let’s face it are totally boring) - see above.

4.The story about HiSo pushing in - just nonsense ( must admit in a Bentley on the roads I would believe that.- if it did happen- what were you wearing ?

5 . You are not wealthy- the rent you are paying is not that impressive - Bangkok is expensive.

6. You whinge about infrastructure- I have a driver ( which is nice ) - if you are so wealthy- employ a chauffeur.

7 . Bangkok is a vibrant crazy city - it’s hot, polluted , fun- an adventure- it seems you cannot cope- go live in Vienna - they make very good cakes - dull as ditch water

8.Then the most important point - a kid ( like a puppy) is not for Christmas - you have decided to introduce a new life into the world - you are having a child that will span the supposedly fabulous Western world with a mother whose heart will always be in Thailand- ALWAYS. You think you can pop back to Italy with a girlfriend and kid - think again. Your child will need support for the rest of your life- it’s how decent families work. 

9. Of course I might be wrong - but ‘snowflake’ comes to mind .

4 hours ago, tokyohillbilly said:

Many more than you think. Both in Japan and Korea “expats” come in their twenties and study. Often they come back as businesswomen/man. Same thing is happening in China.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Those aren't expats, those are students.  Next thing you know, you will say English teachers are expats!

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Bangkok is not the best place to live as it has an edge of being too cement-ish. But it certainly does have its qualities. Lived there years ago and visit a lot, but would not live there again.  October till now is not a long time at all either. One goes through growing pains or does an about face to get the heck out of here pains.

If you are going to take your kid out of here and it sounds as if it is to the USA, then you better get started with the processes now as it will take you quite a while to sort through, and then the little lady is not guaranteed to go with you as the USA is a bit difficult with Visas.

Yes, Thai can be superficial and huge racists, but you go to Mexico and you a re a Gringo. 

Basically you are looking too hard into it so need to take another step back. the USA aint all that and I would rather live no other place except here. My kids are 23, 17,15 and half and half. 

"And half and half"......Does that mean you have 5 kids altogether and the youngest are 6 month old twins.....or are there only three kids, but they  are all transgender???

5 hours ago, tokyohillbilly said:

To succeed in living in Asia you must learn to have a blind eye to many of the things that irritate the dickens out of you. Live your life with your own dignity and emphasize those things in the culture you do like.

No this sort of self-serving selectivity limits one's perspective.  Take the good with the bad, the ying with the yang....one will not exist without the other.

image.png.3653756875fda8100f83d84b3ebe4201.png

4 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

"And half and half"......Does that mean you have 5 kids altogether and the youngest are 6 month old twins.....or are there only three kids, but they  are all transgender???

I have a feeling that you know exactly what Luk Krueng means.

35 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

2. You are someone who is a typical European who expects everything ( transport etc) to work seamlessly 

Didn't he say he was Italian....I thought they were experts in chaos and things not working?

2 hours ago, Matptg said:

I met my gf during a vacation in Japan. Then again she once flew to Europe and visited my home town for 2 days. Then after 2 years for work I went to Cambodia (so could go few days to bkk too). Then a serie of events did lead us together

Sounds like it would make a great romance novel.  Get to work writing and submit your manuscripts for peer review right here ragazzo!

18 hours ago, mauGR1 said:
18 hours ago, Matptg said:

You're not wrong actually. But I am afraid this goes all over the country. Any advice?

To answer your question, I live in a condo that costs me 23000 baht, I go out every night and I drink only Lagavulin whiskey and tequila, unlike you I suppose. What beer do you drink when you go out? Chaang or singha??

Not to mention that I got a car here. As a farang I have no access to loan therefore I had to pay the whole car to get it. It's a ford everest, I leave to you the pleasure to check its price.

Ah one more thing, do you really think a rich thai girl would even think to stay with a person not at her level?

I apologie to the readers for being arrogant, but I had to answer this gentleman

Hi, i am Italian too, and i like living in Thailand (not in Bkk) .

I find ironic that you condemn the arrogance of rich Thais, and then you come on TVF to flaunt about your wealth.

what wealth pray tell? :unsure:

15 hours ago, Matptg said:

thank you again for your advice. we might try Chiang Mai she told me. But if it is for me my edge goes on the north european countries. Still have some time before the baby grows.

Why don't you try to be the "Leader" she wants and move back to Europe?

Who in their right mind would want to have a new born baby choking to death on the smoke in Chiang Mai?

(Just for the record I have never been to CM, but from all the stuff I have read it is not a good place for infants, "Coffin Dodgers" or anyone else

that wants to "BREATHE"?)

2 hours ago, rumak said:

And can you please tell all the TV members where you come from?  I am sure we all would like to know so that we can go live there amongst the superior race that you belong to.

It does confuse and amaze me though how so many  from such "highly developed countries"  come here and lose everything to these genetically challenged citizens of Isaan .

Not you, of course...... I am sure you are different !

Hmmm... watch the video clip and see the comment in context..  Irony..  https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/irony

7 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

And remember this one word "ASIA".When you choose to live or work in any of many countries in Asia for a length of time ,you MUST first learn the language of that country that you are in to a degree that you can live along side of locals being able to shop and mix in with them.

nonsense!

Second is one of the most important item you MUST learn (And to a degree practice) the customs of the people so as not to step on toes or alienate your self to them.

agreed!

Learn the history of the country BUT do not argue the facts that you know against the FACTS that the locals may have been taught.

that depends on the individual situation. why would an educated westerner not try hard to educate his partner?

7 hours ago, uffe123 said:

Not any more. Cost of living is now par, or more expensive than my home country. all the veges are poisoned/laced with paraquat,

1, gas is now about 4 bucks a gallon. $60.00 to fill up my truck, Wow that hurts.

2. traffic is horrible

3, Roads feel like you are driving on 13th century cobblestone. Hit a pothole driving at night, blew my tire and bent the rim.

The nice military have raised the taxes on vine 50%, cant even get the vine I used to drink because no one will buy it any more. Not imported.

4. The pollution in Bangkok is 50% above the WHO limits on a daily basis. Buy you oxygen tank now, stay here long enough you will need it.

5. Not worth going to the beaches any more, thrash all over, and stinky sewer water. Went to Bangsan, wasted trip

Have I missed anything? O yes, land confiscation, go ask any isan farmer about this.

Good thing I'am leaving tomorrow.

Bye....And Please Don't Send A Postcard! ?

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"Sorry for being so long but I have no one to talk with"

reading your posts ,i understand why.

regards worgeordie

Says the champion of 20,000 meaningless one liners that you always post.

36 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Didn't he say he was Italian....I thought they were experts in chaos and things not working?

Well maybe - yes I believe their justice system is the best in the world - takes decades- however the espresso machines are fabulous and I have no problems with transport , trains are good etc  The Pope appearing on the balcony is always on time . 

I still stand by what I said - a European snowflake .

Well I suppose gamete production is working well 

7 hours ago, torrzent said:
7 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

And remember this one word "ASIA".When you choose to live or work in any of many countries in Asia for a length of time ,you MUST first learn the language of that country that you are in to a degree

This is nonsense.  How many expats who work in Japan or Korea, master the local language during their 2-3 year stint.  Close to zero I think.  Imagine an expat with 3-4 posting in different countries......you expect them to keep learning and forgetting new languages?

and why would anyone living in Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangla Desh or India learn the "local" language?

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Seems to me that the OP has two issues:

1) He doesnt like Bangkok. Well, it's a big city like all others and that usually means crowds and long periods of time spent in traffic/public transport. On the plus you have lots of shops, lots of restaurants and lots of competition, so most prices are low for what you get. So I would say that Bangkok is OK if you can find a nice condo with a good view and good facilities, and if you dont have to go out every day. If none of those apply then probably best to move out of the big city.

2) He doesnt like Thais. Well, neither do I particularly, though I dont dislike them as individuals. It's just that apart from breathing the same air I have nothing common with them, and I find it best just to have as little to do with them as possible. I certainly dont like the way they have no compunction about lying, and will happily come out with the most ridiculous excuses in a desperate attempt to save face.

As for the issues about politeness and smiling, by holding the door open for a Thai you are putting yourself in the position of a servant. You should expect to be treated accordingly.

Smiling is an automatic Thai response to confrontation. It does not mean anything, and it certainly does not mean humour. Better get used to it because they wont be changing any time soon.

Spot on. I couldnt put it better myself

22 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

yes... and compared to many here we are all very rich..  

a common delusion, especially in bangkok.

somebody bought all those cars on the road and is living in those houses behind walls and condos in the sky, not to mention the land they are built on, CPB excepted.

Archived