Do you really like living in Thailand?

Matptg

12 minutes ago, jimn said:

As for the issues about politeness and smiling, by holding the door open for a Thai you are putting yourself in the position of a servant. You should expect to be treated accordingly.

Does this mean he can ask for a tip?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, jimn said:

As for the issues about politeness and smiling, by holding the door open for a Thai you are putting yourself in the position of a servant. You should expect to be treated accordingly.

Does this mean he can ask for a tip?

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Buon giorno, Giuseppe!

Whatsa wrong?  You no lika da pizza in da Venice of the East? You forgeta already what mamma tell you? Roma not built in justa one day, giavanotto (sonny boy). Correcto o no? Getta your behind-a outta Bangkok, this-a no place for small bambino. Havta learn the lingua like presto. English you so bella, I know my Giuseppe can learn-a this Thai linguini a-standing on his head-a. Make uppa your mind you gonna stay or no, but, mamma mia, Giuseppe, nobody like a crybaby too much, you-a not-ta make-y your mama proud. In bocca al lupo (good luck). Mamma love her Giuseppe and miss her Giuseppe every day.

Signed,

Mama de Guiseppe ?

LOL..atsa matta?

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Buon giorno, Giuseppe!

Whatsa wrong?  You no lika da pizza in da Venice of the East? You forgeta already what mamma tell you? Roma not built in justa one day, giavanotto (sonny boy). Correcto o no? Getta your behind-a outta Bangkok, this-a no place for small bambino. Havta learn the lingua like presto. English you so bella, I know my Giuseppe can learn-a this Thai linguini a-standing on his head-a. Make uppa your mind you gonna stay or no, but, mamma mia, Giuseppe, nobody like a crybaby too much, you-a not-ta make-y your mama proud. In bocca al lupo (good luck). Mamma love her Giuseppe and miss her Giuseppe every day.

Signed,

Mama de Guiseppe ?

:clap2:

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Not going through 6 pages just to agree with your last line , I love it here and best days of my life arived in 2005.  Don't live in Patts . not Fuquet nor Bankers , don't need those places.

Good for you...I assume you have been to the aforementioned and chose to live somewhere else?......May I ask where, because I might come and have a beer or two with you? ??

I love living here, compared to the Police State of the US. Where else can you find such freedom to come and go? Where else can you go out at any time, day or night , and buy fresh cooked foods of any kind, without the Safety Inspection Police coming out? Though, I would never live in a place like BKK, thats just crazy and will make you crazy. I love the NE

5 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Good for you...I assume you have been to the aforementioned and chose to live somewhere else?......May I ask where, because I might come and have a beer or two with you? ??

Gosh you would have thought after all those years absorbing Thai culture he would know how to spell ? 

1 minute ago, welovethailand said:

I love living here, compared to the Police State of the US. Where else can you find such freedom to come and go? Where else can you go out at any time, day or night , and buy fresh cooked foods of any kind, without the Safety Inspection Police coming out? Though, I would never live in a place like BKK, thats just crazy and will make you crazy. I love the NE

What town do you live in?

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

These are not friends, but acquaintances.

Friends are people you invite to your home, and whom invite you.

I have two maybe three friends. People who claim to have (many) more, I view with distrust.

We've spent the night in the homes of several of his friends on our trips. Sorry, if you do not have such relationships. One of his friends and I have grown close. He owns two resorts on Koh Phi Phi; I can't pay for accommodation when I go there. And, of course, I do not take advantage of that; I spend heavily at his bars and restaurants and my wife buys presents for his kids.

54 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Hmmm... watch the video clip and see the comment in context..  Irony..  https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/irony

I did watch the clip..... if your comment was "ironic" then I failed to read it that way.    Well, mai pen rai, nobody else here seemed too concerned.  

Actually what I did relate to is the banjo players reaction at the end.....

3 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

A lot of people on here suggesting you  (the OP) ignore/tune out on what bothers you. It's not sound advice. Developing a tuned out mentality is dangerous on so many levels. Just one such problem with tuning people out because you can't stand them is that you end up creating problems for others because you have tuned them out, not caring at all about them. That may be fine until you cause a serious enough problem for them because you don't care what they think or feel and then  they decide to cause you a problem.

Better, I think, is to shift your perspective to specific people and situations and take them one by one. Of course, on some level, it is helpful to develop a set of expectations, conclusions or generalizations about one's surroundings. We need to be able to make good decisions and what we have concluded from our past experiences often helps us know what we should do. If you know that most people in some country will not stop their car to let you cross the street and would just as soon run you over without much remorse, you will be more conservative about crossing the street. Its not nice to think even subliminally, "Oh they are such bloody minded, compunctionless people, I better wait to cross the street or they might speed up to make me get out of the way or try and hit me so as to clear their path." But if you don't at least subliminally think that, you may make a bad decision to cross the street before you ought to and then end up getting nailed by someone in their car.   So, as much as people complain about generalizing it does have its purpose. Likewise, there is that same level of functionality which also kicks in when dealing with people and foreign cultures. But, in reality not all Thai people will react badly to you and I think that is what most of us face, experiences with people who don't like us from the get go, people who are xenophobic or people who have bad experiences with foreigners in the past. But its not all of them. Those who have bad reactions, you just cut your losses and get and stay away from them.

I agree with others who say, you don't really need Bangkok society. To me they have little to offer anyway and you will just be spinning your wheels trying to get anywhere with them anyway. You have to make your own way and life here, you have to get involved in your interests, stay in contact with friends back home and appreciate marriage partners family who will treat you with respect. I think many Bangkok middle class and rich would be more open to us, but they fear having problems with their peers and family for having anything to do with us. Even some of my family since moving from Isaan to BAngkok have become completely snobby and say and do many things that suggest to me they want me to keep away from them. They are all trying to make it in the society, so for my mug to appear on say their facebook page may cost them a lot. So, maybe think of it that way, some of these people are just trying to protect themselves from problems with other Thais by doing and saying alienating things. I don't notice that many Thais, especially in Bangkok have very warm or developed friendships anyway. I get the impression I am not missing much by not having any Thai friends. I am someone who values and likes friendships very much, I have always been well liked by many back home yet I don't have any freinds after 20 years here. I know that it isn't all to do with me.

Thailand has a lot of problems, so does the world. Thais don't want foreigners to help they don't like or trust most of us very much at all. They don't seem to like or trust each other either. You just have to accept that yet realize that the generalization doesn't always apply. Most of what you are talking about is culture and culture is mostly pretty nasty. I don't like the way Americans behave mostly either and I am American. I can't say that I like any cultures at all, they are all a set of narrow and prejudiced confines that people work within in order to avoid doing something wrong within their respective societies. Its just a survival level thing. But Ultimately being too culture bound means being cowardly, prejudiced, narrow minded, etc no matter what country. So we have to take each person each situation on its own terms, have to work with opening our own minds and being brave enough to respond to people as individuals, respond to situations as they really are, not just as some stereotyped categorized generalized shadows or you'll never be anything but unhappy in Thailand because most of your interactions will follow a pattern that you have suggested of being lied to, being blown off with a grin or a chuckle etc. If you examine closely, not all Thais, though maybe most, especially in BAngkok or Pattaya will give you some not insignificant amount of negativity. You just develop a thick skin for them once you have given them a chance and they show they follow the pattern of b.s.ing you or trying to get something from you without being considerate etc.

Wow....By far the most intelligent response I have seen on any TVF question.....Are you sure you are American???o ????

Did you ever think about running for president???...Oh Sorry.....Most Americans are to thick to understand you....Trump is easy to understand if

you are stupid and which let's face it 40% of the US voters voted for!

PM me sometime.....for some intelligent conversation? ?

Just now, Mario666 said:

Wow....By far the most intelligent response I have seen on any TVF question.....Are you sure you are American???o ????

Did you ever think about running for president???...Oh Sorry.....Most Americans are to thick to understand you....Trump is easy to understand if you are stupid and which let's face it 40% of the US voters voted for!

PM me sometime.....for some intelligent conversation? ?

In a thread about whether foreigners really like Thailand and you are talking about the USA President , I do think that a PM "intelligent conversation " with you will be about American Politics

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Buon giorno, Giuseppe!

Signed,

Mama de Guiseppe ?

4 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

<snip>So we have to take each person each situation on its own terms, have to work with opening our own minds and being brave enough to respond to people as individuals, respond to situations as they really are, not just as some stereotyped categorized generalized shadows or you'll never be anything but unhappy in Thailand because most of your interactions will follow a pattern that you have suggested of being lied to, being blown off with a grin or a chuckle etc. If you examine closely, not all Thais, though maybe most, especially in BAngkok or Pattaya will give you some not insignificant amount of negativity. You just develop a thick skin for them once you have given them a chance and they show they follow the pattern of b.s.ing you or trying to get something from you without being considerate etc.

So I thought to help out maybe a flow chart would be in order --

Related image

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

In a thread about whether foreigners really like Thailand and you are talking about the USA President , I do think that a PM "intelligent conversation " with you will be about American Politics

For sure....There is nothing "Intelligent" about American Politics.....Please excuse me for going "Off-Topic"....But it has been such a long thread I forgot what we were talking about? ????

21 hours ago, Matptg said:

You're not wrong actually. But I am afraid this goes all over the country. Any advice?

To answer your question, I live in a condo that costs me 23000 baht, I go out every night and I drink only Lagavulin whiskey and tequila, unlike you I suppose. What beer do you drink when you go out? Chaang or singha??

Not to mention that I got a car here. As a farang I have no access to loan therefore I had to pay the whole car to get it. It's a ford everest, I leave to you the pleasure to check its price.

Ah one more thing, do you really think a rich thai girl would even think to stay with a person not at her level?

I apologie to the readers for being arrogant, but I had to answer this gentleman

You just committed the same behavior you condemned your GF and friends of, boasting of wealth. Just a few comments and it's all coming around Luigi. Don't worry I think all will go well up until the time she fleeces you of your last Euro.

Dear oh dear!

You need to study the Thai culture A LOT more than you obviously have. 

A smile is their way of saying sorry or hi or greetings or anything to spark some feeling of being positive. 

Krap, means yes (sort of) or acknowledgement of something. 

Farrang is not condescending, it's just a description of someone not being Thai. 

I moved from Thailand after 10 years but not because of your objections of Thai people, but because of the escalating corruption, the humidity and heat, the mafia's tighter grip on businesses. 

I do agree Thai people are like kids, without exception, rather cute in the beginning, very annoying after a while. 

One good example was Mr. PM's Friday evening speeches on TV (don't know if they are still broadcasted). Extremely childish speeches. 

Maybe being rich is what clouds your ability to soak in their culture and traditions, only you and your closest friends, family knows but for better or worse, you moved to another culture and country, you have to change not them. They don't give a rats .. what you think about them. 

Wake up, you're not in your country anymore. 

23 hours ago, Matptg said:

A child is coming next December. If I raised it here one day it will grow local friends and will start to act like them, I am afraid it could be arrogant like the people here and I don't want my kid to be like that. Or a stupid dumb that follows superstars all the time, or gossiping on other when they are not present. What do you think?

Sorry for being so long but I have no one to talk with. Thank you for all the responses.

Have you ever tried to talk to your wife or girlfriend? On the other hand, maybe she will not like your stance so much. 

2 hours ago, welovethailand said:

that's what sent me packing almost 30 years ago !   with thailand becoming a "retirement"  destination, do you notice that many of the people coming are bringing their values with them ?   i came here to get away from that  ?

Do you really like living in Thailand?

Yes. Why would I stay here if I didn't?

23 hours ago, Matptg said:

Now, the big deal here is indeed the society. I can no longer stand it. The wealthy ones in here I would just slap them all day long.

I think I've spotted the reason you're unhappy.  Center of the Universe Syndrome.

me.jpg.923f75d3b99910ec72a619e1a99103b1.jpg

I dont have time to read 12 pages - if someone has already said this, then let me say it again:

1A.  Dont talk to any Thai about this (or below) - not under any circumstances.

1B.  Also dont talk to any Expat who is with any Thai your GF/Wife knows (or lives anywhere near you).

2.  Learn more about Thailand culture and social norms - you are taking things the wrong way.

3.  Get a DNA test done on the child ASAP (be discrete and think carefully about it).

4.  Plan what to do if the child is not yours.

5.  Plan what to do if the child is yours.

Archived