Captains to face more charges in whale shark incident

webfact

Captains to face more charges in whale shark incident

"I can confirm that the whale shark was not dead and not injured.”

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_7798.jpeg

The captain of the ‘Sang Samut 3’ fishing boat, Somsamai Meejom (the fishing vessel at the centre of last Friday’s whale shark catch) says, “We did not realise that the whale shark was caught in fishing net. Boat crews pulled the fishing net up and could feel that it was very heavy. We thought that we had caught a log.”

“When I knew that it was a whale shark, I was shocked. I immediately asked the boat crews to release it back to the sea. It took about 10 minutes.”

“Reason that we had to hang the whale shark up with the crane was because the whale shark is very big and heavy. We didn’t have enough people to push the shark by ourselves. I can confirm that the whale shark was not dead and not injured.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/captains-to-face-more-charges-in-whale-shark-incident

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-22

The nets of the fishermen destroy more then only protected kinds of fish but you can also blame them for destroying coral banks that are in there fishing routes ( and you can imagine they fish everywhere ).

They had bad luck the whale shark ended in their nets, but how exactly did they break the law there?

It must be clear they were not "hunting" this animal as they threw it back out. 

If they were using illegal nets then charge them for that. If they were not allowed to fish there then charge them for that. But why charge them for a whale shark swimming into their nets?

Sounds like an attempt to get some bribe money to me. Tip for other captains: let your crew hand over their phones during work and dont film it yourself.

51 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

They had bad luck the whale shark ended in their nets, but how exactly did they break the law there?

They broke the law exactly at the point when they brought the whale shark on board. There's the limit. Whether they were hunting, fishing or engaged in any other activity related to depriving the whale shark of its freedom, when they lifted the whale shark onboard the boat they broke the law. Exactly at that point.

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

If they were using illegal nets then charge them for that. If they were not allowed to fish there then charge them for that. But why charge them for a whale shark swimming into their nets?

Sounds like an attempt to get some bribe money to me. Tip for other captains: let your crew hand over their phones during work and dont film it yourself.

You don't catch a whaleshark by accident.

They saw it, caught it and had 'bad luck' they were caught on video themselves by a passing diveboat, forcing them to release it again, dead or alive.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

They saw it, caught it and had 'bad luck' they were caught on video themselves by a passing diveboat, forcing them to release it again, dead or alive.

If that was the case, then sure they should be punished.

Guess there are more stories and articles going around as this one only mentions the whale shark "ending up in their net" (which makes it sound like an accident) and they had to get it aboard first to be able to release it from the nets.

I seriously hate Thai reporting as they are never able to give the complete story.

All they do is retell what one source told them without asking a second source, without asking an expert, withough giving any insights.

1 hour ago, Forethat said:

They broke the law exactly at the point when they brought the whale shark on board. There's the limit. Whether they were hunting, fishing or engaged in any other activity related to depriving the whale shark of its freedom, when they lifted the whale shark onboard the boat they broke the law. Exactly at that point.

Sorry, but what else were they supposed to do with it?  Their nets aren't designed to release into the water.  Short of cutting the net (expensive, both in terms of the net & lost fishing time) bringing it on board, then putting it back in the water was really their only option.

17 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Sorry, but what else were they supposed to do with it?  Their nets aren't designed to release into the water.  Short of cutting the net (expensive, both in terms of the net & lost fishing time) bringing it on board, then putting it back in the water was really their only option.

It seems like the fine may be more expensive than the net... 

31 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Obey the law and don't catch it.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

I’m sure you’ll correct me if necessary,but pulling up an an aquatic animal of that size by the tail ,used to having it’s weight supported in the water is surely bound to cause serious,probably fatal internal injuries? 

5 hours ago, DefaultName said:

"What were they supposed to do with 'it'"? How about releasing her without lifting her onboard? Simple as that. If they had to cut the nets, then they should have done that. Nets are constantly damaged and repaired - this would have been no different. The law was broken when she was taken onboard the vessel.

This is no different to when you accidentally catch a protected species while fishing for something else - the protected fish might be badly hooked, injured, bleeding and otherwise in piss poor condition facing likely death, but the way to manage such situation is to cut the lead. You might have an $80 lure at the end of the lead in the fish belly, but the law is clear - if you bring the fish onboard you brake the law. 

Case closed.

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Exactly. And from reports I have been told that the skin of the whale shark was dry, so she has been onboard for some time. My best guess is that they were heading for port and it wasn't until the dive boat spotted them that they decided to 'release' her.

2 hours ago, Forethat said:

"What were they supposed to do with 'it'"? How about releasing her without lifting her onboard? Simple as that. If they had to cut the nets, then they should have done that. Nets are constantly damaged and repaired - this would have been no different. The law was broken when she was taken onboard the vessel.

This is no different to when you accidentally catch a protected species while fishing for something else - the protected fish might be badly hooked, injured, bleeding and otherwise in piss poor condition facing likely death, but the way to manage such situation is to cut the lead. You might have an $80 lure at the end of the lead in the fish belly, but the law is clear - if you bring the fish onboard you brake the law. 

Case closed.

If that's the law in Thailand someone's missing the point. If you've hooked the fish you should bring it onboard, remove the hook and then release the fish. 

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

If that's the law in Thailand someone's missing the point. If you've hooked the fish you should bring it onboard, remove the hook and then release the fish. 

You're absolutely right - if you want to break the law that is the proper procedure. For those of us who want to abide by the law, we don't bring the fish onboard because then we're breaking the law.

11 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I’m sure you’ll correct me if necessary,but pulling up an an aquatic animal of that size by the tail ,used to having it’s weight supported in the water is surely bound to cause serious,probably fatal internal injuries? 

I know certain whales would be killed by their own weight, not sure about whalesharks though.

Whale shark fishing boats prevented from leaving port

These two fishing boats have now been painted with some red bands to show that they are not allowed to leave port.

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__5603401.jpg

Lt-General Jaruwat Waisaya, Chief of the Office of Legal Affairs and Litigation, has ordered officials to question every person involved in the ‘whale shark’ incident last Friday.

Two fishing boats were captured on video by a nearby diving boat trying to free a whale shark that was caught up in one of their fishing nets. The crew wrangled with the big fish for 10 minutes before it was filmed slumping, apparently dead, back into the water.

“If they are found guilty, legal action must be taken. Officials are taking this very seriously.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/whale-shark-fishing-boats-prevented-from-leaving-port

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-24

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Whale shark fishing boats prevented from leaving port

These two fishing boats have now been painted with some red bands to show that they are not allowed to leave port.

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__5603401.jpg

Lt-General Jaruwat Waisaya, Chief of the Office of Legal Affairs and Litigation, has ordered officials to question every person involved in the ‘whale shark’ incident last Friday.

Two fishing boats were captured on video by a nearby diving boat trying to free a whale shark that was caught up in one of their fishing nets. The crew wrangled with the big fish for 10 minutes before it was filmed slumping, apparently dead, back into the water.

“If they are found guilty, legal action must be taken. Officials are taking this very seriously.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/whale-shark-fishing-boats-prevented-from-leaving-port

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-24

I don't know what is wrong with this country. In my view, these fishermen have been arrested, boats impounded, for being caught releasing a whale shark from their nets. I can almost guarantee the whale shark was the target species, it got caught in the nets, this happens from time to time. Not nice, but it does happen.

I am a person who is deeply concerned about protection of endangered species, but unless the fishing boats were in a protected area, they have very little control as to larger fish/mammals going into there nets.

Now to make it worse, it appears the authorities are using a lobster puree to mark the boats as not being able to leave port........:sad:

2064907366_lobsterpaint.jpg.f980c6e959806bb6bf4728533409ed54.jpg

On 5/22/2018 at 3:57 PM, Bob12345 said:

If that was the case, then sure they should be punished.

Guess there are more stories and articles going around as this one only mentions the whale shark "ending up in their net" (which makes it sound like an accident) and they had to get it aboard first to be able to release it from the nets.

I seriously hate Thai reporting as they are never able to give the complete story.

All they do is retell what one source told them without asking a second source, without asking an expert, withough giving any insights.

"I seriously hate Thai reporting as they are never able to give the complete story.

All they do is retell what one source told them without asking a second source, without asking an expert, withough giving any insights."

But where lies the truth in reporting?

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I don't know what is wrong with this country. In my view, these fishermen have been arrested, boats impounded, for being caught releasing a whale shark from their nets. I can almost guarantee the whale shark was the target species, it got caught in the nets, this happens from time to time. Not nice, but it does happen.

I am a person who is deeply concerned about protection of endangered species, but unless the fishing boats were in a protected area, they have very little control as to larger fish/mammals going into there nets.

Now to make it worse, it appears the authorities are using a lobster puree to mark the boats as not being able to leave port........:sad:

2064907366_lobsterpaint.jpg.f980c6e959806bb6bf4728533409ed54.jpg

"I can almost guarantee the whale shark was the target species,"

Don't think that is what you wanted to say, but do agree with what you wrote.

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"I can almost guarantee the whale shark was the target species,"

Don't think that is what you wanted to say, but do agree with what you wrote.

Ooops, lost a 'not' there somewhere!

Cheers for pointing that out.

Archived