school fees in public schools

Hi, I was under the assumption that Thai public schools provide free education.Ive just paid 18500 baht for health insurance and a security bond the school holds for six years.Is this normal or am I being provided with misinformation by my lovely wife? Ive tried looking on their website but its down and i can't find any solid information.

Ministry of Education is very helpful, bring the receipt there and ask them to confirm. There can be extra costs also at government schools but never heard of a security bond held by a government school for 6 years, sounds unlikely

You should refuse to pay even one single baht without a receipt which you! keep...  

On 5/22/2018 at 4:13 PM, steve075 said:

Hi, I was under the assumption that Thai public schools provide free education.Ive just paid 18500 baht for health insurance and a security bond the school holds for six years.

I just paid 7k for my kids first term at junior school.

Includes books, uniforms, shoes, accident insurance and 1 hour extra lessons after school each day.

I didn't check, so my wife may be skimming.

I just gave the wife 10k (it was less than 10k but...hey) to cover this school term.  Included everything, except I took the young fella for new uniforms and shoes (2k+?).  One thing my wife brought up, the school was asking for about 1000b for a vaccination they were going to provide.  Wife didn't ask me for the money, but she was pissed that they were forcing parents to pay the 1000b, and teachers would be collecting the baht and administering the vaccine.  She's in healthcare...thought it was poposturus that a teacher was going to vaccinate children....(sounded like a teacher vacation fund)

Anyone else get this "special mandatory vaccination offer"?

My daughter has been offered vaccination, not uncommon, but not as mandatory (I rejected and that was fine). It would have been administered by a nurse from health services. Just reject if you don't want it, it's not legal to make it mandatory, nothing can and will happen

I think a teacher administering it is a mis-understanding, cannot imagine that happening in Thailand.

Archived