Life begins at 72 for American as he calls Thailand "Another Planet!"

webfact

43 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Which is exactly the point but some snooty know everythings don't get it.

So, stay in your conservative purgatory do nothing life till you die, or venture out and enjoy life and something different.

Good for him he won't go to his grave saying like many : I wish I would have done this or that.

Up to you.....

you are right, it is not my Business, and Im not going to tell people what is right to do in life. I have done my share of stupidity, so no offense. 

Btw the first video is taken down. 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, sanemax said:

I have a feeling that she was just joking , that is the usual joke from massage girls , not to be taken seriously 

No, you could tell because she was at top voice and he fell silent. But I understand your point.

14 hours ago, Hummin said:

I travelled world since young, and Asia since my 30ies, and it is a bit shocking to see people discover life so late, and of course most discover the bad pages to feel life. Sad

As one said before, life is more than shotting tequilla and ladies in need. Well, if that is what it takes to feel alive and seen, then go hard go long, or as long you can. But, when the dope is gone, most fall lower than where they started. Just a little hint to Ron, the illutions will fade. 

Well said, I moved here in my mid twenties, after travelling much of the world. A very sad video. Who is Ron? Where I live, most of the miserable guys are those who moved here already financially sound. Maybe they think they are better than the rest of us, and certainly all Thais?

Jake Needham may have a point.

"I always thought there had to be some kind of international network devoted to coaxing social rejects and dropout cases worldwide into coming to Bangkok, because come they did. They walked away from third-shift jobs in places like Los Angeles, London, Sydney, Berlin, and Toronto, packed what they had, bought a cheap airline ticket, and made their way to the Land of Smiles. Many of these refugees from reality probably couldn’t have located the city on a map before they decided it was the place for them, maybe they still couldn’t, but Bangkok became their last, maybe their only hope.

"In the empty hours, it was this army of the dispossessed that took control of Sukhumvit Road. They were all there: the lonely, the frightened, the guilty, the depressed, and the psychotic. Soaked with sweat, they rushed back and forth from one bar to another, reeking of that peculiarly sour, metallic odor habitually given off by the emotionally overmatched and underachieving. After midnight, a floodtide of the lost and abandoned owned that part of Bangkok."

• 1 month later...

Well, to the surprise of many here, I'm sure, I am back in the States now - after a seven-week vacation.  My bank account is intact.  I didn't jump off of any balconies.  I didn't get married or fleeced.  I stayed within my budget.  I just got one of the best health checkups I've had in years.  The heat didn't bother me.  The spicy food had no ill effect on my stomach or intestines.  I met a lot of great people who encouraged me to start living my life again.  Wow!  Is that even possible?  Not according to many of the posts here.  LOL

I had a great time touring Thailand.  The video(s) showed a couple of evenings that encompassed about 1% of the total time (50 days and nights) that I spent in Thailand.  The other 99% was spent stone-cold sober.  Yes, I had more shots than I would advise others my age to do.  I don't believe that I ever recommended such action to anyone else.  As to the alcohol/antidepressant deadly combination - I took NONE of them during my entire stay.  I've had none since then either - after almost seven years of daily consumption.  I visited some tourist sites, and some sites far from the beaten path.  Do I still think that others in a similar situation to mine should get off their butts and visit places they've never been - before it's too late for them to do so?  Of course I do!  Do I recommend that they start downing shots of Tequila at their first opportunity?  Of course not!  Do I think that they should perform careful due diligence before visiting any country they would like to visit?  Certainly!  Should they carefully lay out a reasonable budget for their stay?  Naturally!  Should this advice have been the focus of the video(s)?  Of course not - there are hundreds, if not thousands of those videos already available on YouTube.  The video(s) were never intended to be instructional video(s) about how to plan for a Thailand vacation.  I really thought that was obvious, but it seems that I was mistaken in that belief.  Oh well.  Such is life.

Again, I am amazed that so many commentators could watch a few minutes of YouTube videos, and feel that they were qualified to judge the person's life that was the subject of that/those videos.  I wonder if they feel that they would be OK with others doing the same as a result of a minute snapshot of their life?  I doubt it.

Thanks to those who offered sincere comments filled with encouragement - including TourPro.  Thanks my friend.  Hopefully, we will meet soon.  To the others - judge away.  I feel no need to waste my time trying to live up to your expectations.  I intend to live my life in a way that meets my OWN expectations - not yours.  But, feel free to flame me anyway.  As I said before, better flamers than you have tried - and failed - to rattle me.  This post is just to express the fact that I avoided the inevitable fate that so many had predicted in their comments.  Nothing more.

Peace - out.

3 minutes ago, RonF said:

Well, to the surprise of many here, I'm sure, I am back in the States now - after a seven-week vacation.  My bank account is intact.  I didn't jump off of any balconies.  I didn't get married or fleeced.  I stayed within my budget.  I just got one of the best health checkups I've had in years.  The heat didn't bother me.  The spicy food had no ill effect on my stomach or intestines.  I met a lot of great people who encouraged me to start living my life again.  Wow!  Is that even possible?  Not according to many of the posts here.  LOL

I had a great time touring Thailand.  The video(s) showed a couple of evenings that encompassed about 1% of the total time (50 days and nights) that I spent in Thailand.  The other 99% was spent stone-cold sober.  Yes, I had more shots than I would advise others my age to do.  I don't believe that I ever recommended such action to anyone else.  As to the alcohol/antidepressant deadly combination - I took NONE of them during my entire stay.  I've had none since then either - after almost seven years of daily consumption.  I visited some tourist sites, and some sites far from the beaten path.  Do I still think that others in a similar situation to mine should get off their butts and visit places they've never been - before it's too late for them to do so?  Of course I do!  Do I recommend that they start downing shots of Tequila at their first opportunity?  Of course not!  Do I think that they should perform careful due diligence before visiting any country they would like to visit?  Certainly!  Should they carefully lay out a reasonable budget for their stay?  Naturally!  Should this advice have been the focus of the video(s)?  Of course not - there are hundreds, if not thousands of those videos already available on YouTube.  The video(s) were never intended to be instructional video(s) about how to plan for a Thailand vacation.  I really thought that was obvious, but it seems that I was mistaken in that belief.  Oh well.  Such is life.

Again, I am amazed that so many commentators could watch a few minutes of YouTube videos, and feel that they were qualified to judge the person's life that was the subject of that/those videos.  I wonder if they feel that they would be OK with others doing the same as a result of a minute snapshot of their life?  I doubt it.

Thanks to those who offered sincere comments filled with encouragement - including TourPro.  Thanks my friend.  Hopefully, we will meet soon.  To the others - judge away.  I feel no need to waste my time trying to live up to your expectations.  I intend to live my life in a way that meets my OWN expectations - not yours.  But, feel free to flame me anyway.  As I said before, better flamers than you have tried - and failed - to rattle me.  This post is just to express the fact that I avoided the inevitable fate that so many had predicted in their comments.  Nothing more.

Peace - out.

If You got any flack it was caused by the general dislike here of a few crafty E Beggars using You, they no doubt would not be of your choosing on future visits.

Congrats for getting home safely and enjoying your time here.

Yes, many people have made mistakes in Thailand and lost money and confidence in themselves and faith in life.

The negative comments may be from those who have done exactly that.

Do not bother with their comments mostly rubbish.

Hope you make it back here soon lots of fun things to do and see.

Congratulations on your holiday and successful trip back home. Not everyone on this forum judged you, I celebrated your decision. It is always good to see a different way that your life could be. There is probably no place better to be 72 years young , enjoy some fun nights out, and have a great vacation. Don't let the naysayers get you down, do it right, don't be stupid, and you can have a great time in this country. Carpe diem, my friend, carpe diem!

@HAKAPALITA

"If You got any flack it was caused by the general dislike here of a few crafty E Beggars using You, they no doubt would not be of your choosing on future visits."

Although I appreciate the thought, I have to totally disagree, if I understand you.  

The subject of "ebegging" is a completely different topic.  I know both vloggers personally.  I can assure you that neither is getting wealthy from their vlogs.  The very few dollars that they might have made from the videos wouldn't come anywhere near to providing them with even minimum wages for their time taping, editing, etc.  They - and many others - put a lot of work into their videos.  Asking for a little compensation -  and only from viewers who can afford to help a little should they so desire - is no different than Netflix expecting to get paid for their services - something that millions do willingly.  The only difference is that the vloggers don't REQUIRE such compensation in order for you to view the fruits of their labor.  It is completely optional.  My response is that if "ebegging" seems inappropriate to you or anyone else, then don't watch any of the videos those "ebeggers" produce.  It's as simple as that.  Problem solved.

Nobody was "using" me.  I had complete control of anything and everything that was posted.  I had (and still have) no problem whatsoever with any of it.  If some viewers want to take the videos in a negative way, then so be it.  My only problem with any of the posts was - as stated - that some people are foolish enough to think that they know everything about someone by watching an isolated few minutes of video, and that they felt that it was fine to judge my entire existence based only on those few clips.  That shows their shallowness, not mine.

As long as he does not start a bridge game with those girls, he will be find.   Supporting their kids school fees, paying medical bills for sick water buffaloes or parents, and buying them a condo is okay too.   Just stay away from playing bridge and illegal, unregistered dart boards.  It is good if he is having fun.  He may wish to see other parts of Asia.  Vietnam has what Thailand has and is less crazy.  Americans get one year multi entry visas for less than B10K  

On 7/16/2018 at 9:31 AM, RonF said:

Peace - out.

My judgment of you Ron is you bloody well did the right thing and enjoyed "YOUR" life what I saw on the vids was a guy rediscovering that life is meant to be enjoyed.....I hope one day we can meet and share a bottle of water with Simon or maybe a shot or 2 of tequila too. Take care!!! give the cat a stroke from me

Archived