Life begins at 72 for American as he calls Thailand "Another Planet!"

webfact

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any one, of any age, can have the best time of their life - anywhere in the world with $$..

Then their is Thailand...

May be affordable for people on a budget, if you stay on one..

As long as you have a pension and you adjust the nights going out doing whatever, it's still better than ever going back to the U.S. - in my case.

I have a 70 year old neighbor living with his Thai wife and her daughter.

He blew his savings on a house and truck.. 

Now he stays at the house looking after the daughter, while his much younger wife is back working at a bar in BKK..

He seems to be fine with that living arrangement..

But, his days could be numbered, as he me mentioned that he would have only paid to have the house built, if he was listed as part owner of it, in case she gave him the boot.

Now that she is back working, looking for a replacement... His days are numbered!  I highly doubt he will get any $$ back after she tells him to leave.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Re: post #99, the poster was making a pun about the misuse of the word "nativity" when "naievté" was intended.

No I  think he meant nativity. A bunch of old men visit a tumbled down shack in a village, and proceede to give away all their gold.

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

What an inspiration -  become a Pattaya monger at 72!!!! 

End you life with a 3rd world Thai prostitute, forced into the sex trade with old men to support her peasant family. I hope I have some morals by that age.

Most have morals before the golden years, until they realize they are just rules set by some one else for their benefit. Then they get wiser and flip the bird to the world. Luckily at that age they are already fairly harmless.

Reality sets in when :

(1) you realize that, just because someone smiles a lot, doesn't necessarily mean they are happy 

(2) if you get sick (either physically or mentally) you might be a long long ways away from anyone who actually cares about you (and not just your wallet)

(3) the language barrier stops being "interesting" and starts to make you feel like you're being left out of everything all the time, as if life is constantly passing you by

(4) you're surrounded by a lot of other ex-pats who all seem the same and have little to offer other than as a drinking buddy

On the other hand, I've been in Thailand around 10 years and think it's still a pretty good place to be as long as you can somehow accept all of the above and learn to deal with it. 

Age difference can be a factor anywhere in the world.

I knew a couple who married

( in the UK ) when he was a young looking 50 and she was a very early 20's . It lasted until he was 72/73 and their daughter got married at 20 to a 21 year old guy. One year after their daughter got married they split and she hooked up with a guy who was the same age as she was, around mid forties.

Not a 'friend of mine story' by the way, relatives in the family.

In Thailand a lot more factors come into it and I'm sure I don't have to explain that part.

Let Ron have his holiday and I'm sure, if he is reading any of this, he's having a good laugh as well as a good time.

41 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

not to young 3rd world country girls

You just don't get it, do you? Those young 3rd world country girls are smart enough to realise an elderly farang is a much better bargain than a handsome young Thai who will drink, gamble and abuse them, not to mention literally leaving them holding the baby.

Like others have said, naive old bugger. As an American I got irritated by an episode of the TV show "Househunting International" when this fairly young couple goes to Chiang Mai and are starry-eyed telling everybody their apartment was "only" $550 a month. Come on, for God's sake, they're spoiling it for everybody. In CM you can get a nice one in a good area such near the university for $200-250. Brag to the world your place is "only" $550 and you're not only silly but you'll drive prices up.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You just don't get it, do you? Those young 3rd world country girls are smart enough to realise an elderly farang is a much better bargain than a handsome young Thai who will drink, gamble and abuse them, not to mention literally leaving them holding the baby.

You are kidding, aren't you? A better bargain ATM would be precise. 

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Age difference can be a factor anywhere in the world.

I knew a couple who married

( in the UK ) when he was a young looking 50 and she was a very early 20's . It lasted until he was 72/73 and their daughter got married at 20 to a 21 year old guy. One year after their daughter got married they split and she hooked up with a guy who was the same age as she was, around mid forties.

Not a 'friend of mine story' by the way, relatives in the family.

In Thailand a lot more factors come into it and I'm sure I don't have to explain that part.

Let Ron have his holiday and I'm sure, if he is reading any of this, he's having a good laugh as well as a good time.

Yep

2 hours ago, Justfine said:

Her dad must be so proud. Not only a desperate hooker but shagged a grandpa.

I don’t think you understand much about Thailand.

”Their fathers” don’t give a flying fart who provided the money for their lao khao.

No doubt that Thailand is like falling off the earth into a wonderland. I have been coming for 16 years and it has given me a great new lease on life. Married a fantastic Thai girl, a professional attorney and our life together in Bangkok has been as good as it gets. You wake up every morning with a smile and zero stress and that my friend is "Priceless"

In the States, you could spend all your retirement savings living in an old folks home, where they certainly won't wipe your arse when the money runs out, or come to the Kingdom and spin the Wheel of Fortune.  <deleted> the haters and Bible thumpers.  I'd rather transfer funds to a village in rural Thailand than give it to a corporate owned nursing home.

11 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

72 and he can still do it? He's an old aged pensioners role model.

Just imagine a handsome, 25 year old with a body like Michael Angelos, David gets the cold shoulder from a 20 year old stunning bar girl When Grandad turns up.

Puts me off the scene. Sloppy seconds after Grandad. Being kissed after Grandad. Urgh!

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Save this post. Read it again when you get there. Young whipper snappers like you shouldn't even be in the scene. 

A guy I used to work with and retired about the same time started having marital issues and instead of coming here like I did he shot 2 of his daughters in the head then killed himself as well leaving a third daughter and the wife to deal with the aftermath. I don't know what he was thinking exactly but he obviously felt he had no choice and was trapped. He wasn't. Very sad. 

Archived