White wine

Good not expensive wine seems hard to find in Thailand. I have bought Carlo Rossi before which I liked. It had that little (just a little) sweetnes that goes together well with a somewhat spicy Thai seafood dish. But now I can not find it anymore sadly. 

I have seen Mar Y Sol and Castle Creek in Big C. Are they any good? Any other tips? Only interested in bottles, not boxes. Oh how I wish I could find a German semi dry wine here that is not too expensive. In Sweden you can buy them at 60-70 SEK (about 250 baht). Sometimes I miss Sweden...

The import duty on alcohol makes wine prices here very high relative to most of the world. Difficult to find a decent bottle under 750thb.

A couple whites that I've tried here:

One that I really enjoy is Yealands single block S1 sauv blanc. Don't confuse it with the Peter Yealands brand, which are markedly cheaper. I bought my last 2 bottles at Villa Market.

Another is Chiusa Grande Vinosophia, their Trebbiano DOC is wonderful, I've not found other regions from them here yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Mar Y Sol and Castle Creek have fruit juice added, probably about 15%. Generally thought that it is Pear juice, not sure though.

Always wondered if the stated 10/12/13% alcohol is the % before or after the juice is added.

You now need to check very carefully on the back lable and you will see somewhere the words Fruit Wine. My opinion is that they are printing the words as small and as well hidden as they can so you think it's normal red/white wine.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this at Villa and was a strong enough value for the score that I remembered this post. Ramirana Reserva white wine (Chardonnay/Sauvignon Blanc), 2011, Lolol Valley. 379thb, has a 3.4 rating on Vivino.

Didn't say fruit wine anywhere, but priced at 379thb, and surprisingly pleasant. I'm still suspicious given the price and older vintage. Even so, I'd take it over the 700thb Vavasour I tried any day.

7XOc9-Af5XrYZmsyJ7c1uVacW1Pd4-lgje_6D6pS

Archived