Freelance consulting

Hi, I am a UK national moving to Thailand this year with my spouse who starts a new job there. 

I am interested as working as a freelance management consultant.

Not really too sure where to start with work-permits, tax implications etc. Would be really grateful if anyone has any advice. Thanks

There is no provisions in the work permit or immigration rules for freelance work.

You would have to set up a Thai company to get a work permit that is required to get a non-b visa and extension of stay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no provisions in the work permit or immigration rules for freelance work.

You would have to set up a Thai company to get a work permit that is required to get a non-b visa and extension of stay.

@ubonjoe and @FritsSikkink - thanks for your helpful replies.

How would it work (or would it work?) if I was doing it as UK ltd company?

I wanted to go and Tutor advanced students in Math, Science, Engineering, etc, as I have  a couple of degrees and would enjoy the variety, keep using my brain, make the rent money, etc.  But there really doesn't seem a way to do that.  The only way seems to be if some company exists and you actually work for them. They would act as the middle man, you would have a work permit through them, they would take a percentage or cut of course.  Seems like a perfectly realizable thing to do, organize a company that handles private tutors. 

You would, as others have said, need to set up a company, with all the regulations governing that, and comply with the monthly accounting requirements, employee regulations etc.

There is no method for freelancing on an as you go basis as a foreign individual. 

Unless you hare very well qualified, with internationally known reputation and experience, then most Thai organizations would want you to speak Thai. There are many Thai consultants operating who are connected to American, British, and others  professional bodies. Depending on your field, qualifications and experience, you may find some work with them. 

I know one very well connected European who has been here nearly 30 years, has a Thai wife, has chaired a Chamber of Commerce here for a EU country, and was general manager for a large EU manufacturer that employs nearly 3k locals. He now runs his own consultancy. But he had substantial experience and network, a related PhD, and is fluent in Thai.

If somebody is emloyed locally and already has a work permit, can they legally do freelancing consultancy? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a freind in this situation. Would it be legally for him to consult for others in his free time?

13 minutes ago, Smithson said:

If somebody is emloyed locally and already has a work permit, can they legally do freelancing consultancy? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a freind in this situation. Would it be legally for him to consult for others in his free time?

A work permit only allows you to work for the company that is shown in it and at their location unless specified in the work permit.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A work permit only allows you to work for the company that is shown in it and at their location unless specified in the work permit.

While technically true, this could be interpreted as meaning you cannot have meetings our conduct business outside of the location registered for the WP.  In the 90s Australian auditors were arrested for this, but it was seen as intimidation, not charges were layed.

Most WP holders would be breaking the rules in some way, but the labour dept. shows a certain amount of flexibility. Would it be possible for a WP to allow for consultancy work? What if it was included in the job description?

6 minutes ago, Smithson said:

While technically true, this could be interpreted as meaning you cannot have meetings our conduct business outside of the location registered for the WP. 

I a person's job description states they are required to work or attend meetings at other locations it can be written in the work permit. 

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I a person's job description states they are required to work or attend meetings at other locations it can be written in the work permit. 

Thanks. Could the outside meetings/work be consultancy, if that was written in the job description?

15 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Thanks. Could the outside meetings/work be consultancy, if that was written in the job description?

If being a consultant was done as part of the job that supported the work permit it could be done,

12 hours ago, atyclb said:

how about foreign musicians, performers, singers?  must they make a company and hire 4 oxygen consumers also?

Let me jump on that one cause nobody is brave enough.

When Celine Dion has a concert in Bangkok, then all these Immigration things are small technicalities. 

But technically speaking, I would imagine the way they do it legally, is either convert a visa exempt entry to a single Non B,  or her staff applies abroad directly.

The visa issued for a performer is a non B single. I think they can manage to get some letter from the inviting Thai company (concert organiser). They should have more than 4 Thai staff.

But i actually don't think documentation is needed, a few phone calls should do.

Also, temporary work permit would be waiting for her in the hotel room, in a nice red envelope, along with a champagne. With Compliments from the Thai Labour department.

She won't be understanding the strange letters on the WP, she may leave it in the hotel room and not take it at her place of work, on the stage. Chances are she won't be asked.

For wannabe musicians or talents, that don't have a gig or something, and just do some freelancing let's say, they'd be doing that illegally on ed visas or tourist, unless they are hired by a talent company that provides them with the documentation to get the non B and the WP. That company supposedly would have hired more than 4 Thais.

Or obviously, if they start their own company, work for it, and hire 4 Thais.

Edited by lkv

Doing consulting work, which is usually done on site of the client, is very difficult in Thailand

Your work permit states where you are allowed to work. This alone means that for every new client you would have to change your work permit first. I somehow doubt that a company like Iglu would do this for you, too much hassle. So probably when doing it through Iglu you are just allowed to work in their office locations.

So probably your only choice would be to have your own company and then always update your work permit accordingly

12 hours ago, atyclb said:

how about foreign musicians, performers, singers?  must they make a company and hire 4 oxygen consumers also?

most of them work illegally

• 3 months later...

Maybe it's the wrong thread. I'm looking to connect with freelance HR from Thailand. kindly let me know if you have any connection. contact me on <contact by personal message>. Thanks in advance.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed email address (forum rule)