PG Tips

iainiain101

What has happened to all the 'original' PG Tips suppliers? Now all they seem to have is mint, Earl Grey etc.

I have tried Rimping, Tops, and Tesco, as well as their on line offerings.

Are we back to having to bring tea from the UK??

I think this a general problem for foreign products, especially in asia, though I have seen it elsewhere. Once I couldn't get V8 for 3 months anywhere in Malta!

The importer gets a container of, say, PG tips, into Thailand. Great, we have a supply of PG tips.

When the container is empty we have to wait until the importer orders and receives another one.

In the meantime we suffer a dearth of whatever product is temporarily depleted.

There is a function in the retail indusry call merchandising. This ensures that goods are ordered from suppliers in a timely manner calculated fom the rate they are sold and level of stock and requires a certain amount of foresight. A function significantly lacking in most asian cultures

IMHO this is the cause for most of the laments we see on TV posts about "why can't I find any xxxx" in the shops now, and the reason you can find some things in some places and not others is essentially due to the being in low demand areas.

Maybe TV readers could take this explanation on board and just accept the fact that it's going to be like that sometimes rather than clog up the website with a load of meaningless drivel about missing teabags!

Ah! That feels better!

6 hours ago, stuartd1 said:

I think this a general problem for foreign products, especially in asia, though I have seen it elsewhere. Once I couldn't get V8 for 3 months anywhere in Malta!

The importer gets a container of, say, PG tips, into Thailand. Great, we have a supply of PG tips.

When the container is empty we have to wait until the importer orders and receives another one.

There is a function in the retail indusry call merchandising. This ensures that goods are ordered from suppliers in a timely manner calculated fom the rate they are sold and level of stock and requires a certain amount of foresight. A function significantly lacking in most asian cultures

IMHO this is the cause for most of the laments we see on TV posts about "why can't I find any xxxx" in the shops now, and the reason you can find some things in some places and not others is essentially due to the being in low demand areas.

Maybe TV readers could take this explanation on board and just accept the fact that it's going to be like that sometimes rather than clog up the website with a load of meaningless drivel about missing teabags!

Ah! That feels better!

To an extent I agree, though I think the 'importer' has decided we would prefer the premium options from the original.

http://www.pgtips.co.uk/product

1 minute ago, iainiain101 said:

To an extent I agree, though I think the 'importer' has decided we would prefer the premium options from the original.

http://www.pgtips.co.uk/product

also noticed a couple of months ago that Original seemed to have been replaced by English Breakfast. This was available on a buy one get one free at Rimping, and as such drinkable. Though I think it disguised the fazing out of Original. Of course you cant find English Breakfast either now!

• 9 months later...
On 5/23/2018 at 1:45 PM, stuartd1 said:

Ah! That feels better!

If the above analysis is the whole answer then I expect the pyramid shaped tea bags should now be available again.  But where?

On 5/24/2018 at 7:07 AM, iainiain101 said:

also noticed a couple of months ago that Original seemed to have been replaced by English Breakfast. This was available on a buy one get one free at Rimping, and as such drinkable. Though I think it disguised the fazing out of Original. Of course you cant find English Breakfast either now!

Tesco have a very good English breakfast tea, i drink it all the time.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:45 AM, stuartd1 said:

Ah! That feels better!

1. Agree, PG Tips have great flavor. I buy a couple of boxes from Lotte supermarket in Hanoi every trip.

2. Modern merchandising using dedicated software makes the resupply process 99.9% automatic and with AI the prediction of when to order etc., is even more accurate, nowadays a very sophisticated process.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

I'm off to Australia next week and will bring back tea supplies from there.  Anyone know which is the best brand down there ?

Best is always a matter of taste but the main brands in Australian supermarkets are Lipton, Bushells, Dilmah, Nerada and Twinings. I like some of the Dilmah varieties as well as ITO EN Matcha green tea.

PG Tips pyramid bags are sold in Woolworths.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/413707/pg-tea-bags-116g

On 2/26/2019 at 4:21 AM, colinneil said:

Tesco have a very good English breakfast tea, i drink it all the time.

if a cob drinks it we might give it a try.  In Bangkok we found Tetley tea bags in Indian shops (in many countries Indian shops have some essential British foods  such as tea, digestive biscuits and Heinz (UK) baked beans, but not marmite).  It is acceptable but not that strong.  

14 minutes ago, thaibook said:

if a cob drinks it we might give it a try.  In Bangkok we found Tetley tea bags in Indian shops (in many countries Indian shops have some essential British foods  such as tea, digestive biscuits and Heinz (UK) baked beans, but not marmite).  It is acceptable but not that strong.  

Whats a cob?

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, balo said:

PG Tips can be bought from the local dealer in Pattaya.

Maybe you can order it online , I think you can.

The British owner imports a lot of food/drinks from the UK every month, 

https://www.facebook.com/siamexpatfood/

Bought a box of original PG tips from there last week. Proper tea.

Not for me, I never drink the stuff but the wife loves PG Tips with milk and honey.

On 2/26/2019 at 12:00 PM, scorecard said:

1. Agree, PG Tips have great flavor. I buy a couple of boxes from Lotte supermarket in Hanoi every trip.

2. Modern merchandising using dedicated software makes the resupply process 99.9% automatic and with AI the prediction of when to order etc., is even more accurate, nowadays a very sophisticated process.

dont want to go off thread but... so why do 7/11s run out of some products, sometimes for days on end?!

7 minutes ago, samsensam said:

dont want to go off thread but... so why do 7/11s run out of some products, sometimes for days on end?!

Who knows,  perhaps the 7/11 re-supply ordering process works and works well and the supplier got the order but didn't deliver to the 7/11 warehouse or whatever.

Although re-supply is very automated nowadays things can still go wrong, especially when human monitoring / checking that the process is working, or hasn't encountered a 'bump', is not working. Someone forget to check....

20 minutes ago, BRMC said:

Though I decided to be a cheapo and buy the M&S extra strong brand instead which hits the spot.

Never thought about price when buying tea and the M&S branded teas are great, esp the stronger ones.

Did like the Nerada brand when I was in Oz, but haven't seen it here.

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
22 minutes ago, balo said:

PG Tips in Big C ? That would surprise me .

But they do have Heladiv English Breakfast Tea bags @ 175bht for 200.

I think you'll find the price is for a pack of 100, not 200. I bought Heladiv once, my experience  was the bags split very easily when in the mug.

I emailed them in Sri Lanka to complain. They replied, but in error sent me a reply intended for another customer in Mukdahan, who had complained about the same thing.

Big C have Liptons Yellow Label tea bags at 208 Baht for 100.

27 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I think you'll find the price is for a pack of 100, not 200. I bought Heladiv once, my experience  was the bags split very easily when in the mug.

I emailed them in Sri Lanka to complain. They replied, but in error sent me a reply intended for another customer in Mukdahan, who had complained about the same thing.

Big C have Liptons Yellow Label tea bags at 208 Baht for 100.

You're right, 100 bags, but I use every bag twice to give me 200 cups.

Liptons are too weak to use twice, so I don't buy them.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're right, 100 bags, but I use every bag twice to give me 200 cups.

Liptons are too weak to use twice, so I don't buy them.

Ha ha! We're on the same page with that - I do the same with Liptons, but I do drink my tea weak anyway.

For me, I found the first usage needs only a short time when it's new, the second time I leave it in for longer.

we bought Tetley tea bags, box of 100 for 120 Baht at a few Indian shops near Wang Burapha (Bangkok).  I find I can use them twice but my Thai wife finds them weak.  Admittedly she adds a drop of milk whereas I drink mine black.  Liptons we both find disappointing in flavour as well as strength.

Archived