Buying diamonds in Thailand

Frode

Want to propose to my girlfriend and wants to buy a singlestoned diamondring to that occation.  Anybody know How the prices in Thailand are for diamonds? Would it be cheaper there then buying it in Europe(Norway)?

Find a reputable jeweller in Norway.Ask him to explain you the 4C s.Ask for GIA certificate.Ask anything.

DO NOT buy the ring in Thailand. It stands clear that you have no idea about diamonds or jewelry, and

you re going to be easy pray for them.

Best wishes for your marriage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the answer. You are right, I dont know anything about diamonds. But if I had bought in Thailand I wouldnt buy in the market but at a reputable shop in t.eks BKK. If you disregard the dangers, would the prices in Thailand be cheaper then in Norway or anywhere else in Europe?

Thank you for your wishes

53 minutes ago, Frode said:

Thank you for the answer. You are right, I dont know anything about diamonds. But if I had bought in Thailand I wouldnt buy in the market but at a reputable shop in t.eks BKK. If you disregard the dangers, would the prices in Thailand be cheaper then in Norway or anywhere else in Europe?

Thank you for your wishes

Do you know a reputable shop in BKK?

• Thanks 1

Do some research on line about diamonds, there is tons of it. All you have is what the shop puts on the gem stone for price. There are different qualities at different prices. Do a whole bunch of shopping if you at the time you could wait for the big gem and jewelry show I believe in August or September. You could get a good deal then but always remember. They paid a market price for the diamond and will mark it up to make a profit. Figure out the quality you can afford and shop around. There are on line dealers but personally I would not buy from them.

Check out Lukhidiamond.com, they have a presence in Bangkok. I regularly buy small diamonds from their Indian office. Their prices are a fraction of UK trade prices and the stones are exactly as described. They are diamond cutters, so no middle men involved.  Checking online for information on diamond quality will only confuse you, they are graded by colour, cut, clarity and size (carat weight). Commercial quality diamonds are usually I colour and SI11/ I1  clarity, that's what you'll find in most ready made diamond jewellery.  Stones of that quality are MUCH cheaper than higher grades, but neither you or your girlfriend will see any difference. It takes magnification and a trained eye to spot any difference.

I make and sell jewellery in UK and will be moving to Thailand soon, hence my browsing this forum, I'm looking for info that might help when I get there. I had no intention of signing up here until I saw the post regarding diamonds.

You seem more keen to trust a Thai jeweler rather than a Norway one in order to save a

couple of hundreds of euros.. Man I dunno.. You re supposed to do a thoral research (and reach

a conclusion) before spending big on a diamond ring.

If there was such a difference in the price of a diamond ring between Bangkok and Oslo...

then I d be doing this trip 6 times a year!

Bying a diamond engeagement ring is not rocket science. Do your homework.

PS I m selling diamonds 25 years now, at 25% off Rappaport report.

7 hours ago, LungBill said:

Check out Lukhidiamond.com, they have a presence in Bangkok. I regularly buy small diamonds from their Indian office. Their prices are a fraction of UK trade prices and the stones are exactly as described. They are diamond cutters, so no middle men involved.  Checking online for information on diamond quality will only confuse you, they are graded by colour, cut, clarity and size (carat weight). Commercial quality diamonds are usually I colour and SI11/ I1  clarity, that's what you'll find in most ready made diamond jewellery.  Stones of that quality are MUCH cheaper than higher grades, but neither you or your girlfriend will see any difference. It takes magnification and a trained eye to spot any difference.

I make and sell jewellery in UK and will be moving to Thailand soon, hence my browsing this forum, I'm looking for info that might help when I get there. I had no intention of signing up here until I saw the post regarding diamonds.

Had a quick look but the diamonds I saw, don't look like quality ones.

Edited by FritsSikkink

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Had a quick look but the diamonds I saw, don't look like quality ones.

A lot of their stones are low grade, but look through their lists and you'll find good quality, especially in smaller sizes - 4mm and less.  It takes me an hour or thereabouts to select 20 small stones, which cost me about 25% of Hatton Garden prices. My point is that their descriptions are accurate, their prices very reasonable, and they have a presence in Bangkok, so the OP could go and have a look.

you will NOT get a good deal on diamonds in Thailand

MY grandfather owned a very  successful diamond jewelry store in Washington DC

His moto was

" if you dont know your diamonds, know your jeweler"

There some very reputable dealers in the Jewelry trade center off Silom road  thou.

Other than that  BUY online from one of the best sites

https://www.jamesallen.com/

http://www.mouawad.com/en/

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1