Bangkok overrun by a million rats - lack of snakes and lazy cats to blame!

webfact

Bangkok overrun by a million rats - lack of snakes and lazy cats to blame!

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The policy of catching snakes in residential areas of Bangkok and shifting them out to the countryside is being blamed for an explosion in the rat population.

Some 5,500 pythons have been relocated since the start of last year and an environmental expert has said that has meant there are at least a million rats running about the capital.

There is plentiful food too and cats are also being blamed for not working hard enough.

Thai Rath reported that last year year 4,519 pythons and some other snakes were rounded up in Bangkok. Yanawa district in the south-east of the city had the most with 786 followed by Hua Mark with 627 and Bang Khun Thian 608.

In the first four months of 2018 881 pythons and 18 water monitors have been rounded up along with other snakes totaling 913 relocations to the national parks and countryside.

Hua Mark had 142, Bang Khun Thian 114 and Yanawa 70.

Environmental expert Suphasorn Pathumratanathan said that since the start of 2017 this meant that around 5,500 predators of rats had been moved out of the city.

They could be expected to eat 600,000 rats in that time. So it was no wonder that the population of rodents in the city would now be topping at least a million.

Cats are also pampered too much these days and not doing their share of rat catching.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-24

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lazy cats or lack of snakes to blame? I only blame the persons who left this bag there out in the open. The only you can blame for the dirt  are people, they made that BKK became a dirty, smelly city. The rats are only looking for food, if you take that away the rats will go also. That make a city clean!

2 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Lazy cats or lack of snakes to blame? I only blame the persons who left this bag there out in the open. The only you can blame for the dirt  are people, they made that BKK became a dirty, smelly city. The rats are only looking for food, if you take that away the rats will go also. That make a city clean!

Blame? This is the land of irresponsibility, no one will accept blame.

Let Norway or Germany come in and install the sewage services,  education system and garbage control. I'm not suggesting a complete take over of the country.  Just make a Thai City with Falang ownership. Kind of like whats happened in Australia and UK.

ha ha of course its not the LAZY THAIS, dumping their <deleted> rubbish everywhere, got to be the best one yet, *its not my fault blame the snakes and the lizards * once more denying the true reason for the rat infestation, i have heard it all now

I think its a fair comment to say the rat population has increased as their predators have been removed. Its common sense, they just need to find another way to control them.

I don't think its fair to single out Bangkok here, rats thrive in big cities all around the world, just look up London or Paris. Just seems to be bashing for the sake of bashing IMHO.

2 hours ago, Darcula said:

Clearly, they must've heard about the hub of gastronomy, and they're here for the Michelin star street food.

Also available in Bangkok's first class shopping malls as special guests at unexpected opportunities 

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Catch them and grind them down to Chicken food pellets, great protein and the poor chickens will not figure out that they are eating rats.

...or invite Isaan folks for an all you can eat Bangkok Rat Buffet garnished with a 200 m long Laokhao bar, and mor lam music. In my soi they can make it a monthly event as the supply of food waste into the sewage pipes by vendors is a daily routine.

4 hours ago, stud858 said:

Let Norway or Germany come in and install the sewage services,  education system and garbage control. I'm not suggesting a complete take over of the country.  Just make a Thai City with Falang ownership. Kind of like whats happened in Australia and UK.

Are you suggesting that Thailand should have a system where income tax is used where it is paid?

BRAVO! 

11 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

...or invite Isaan folks for an all you can eat Bangkok Rat Buffet garnished with a 200 m long Laokhao bar, and mor lam music. In my soi they can make it a monthly event as the supply of food waste into the sewage pipes by vendors is a daily routine.

Then you already know they won't eat Bangkok sewer rats and snakes....or are you just promulgating a myth???

how refreshing to see that when there is some sort of crisis or issue at hand, there is an available expert on stand-by to step in and tell us all things we would never have otherwise known. I for one am grateful to learn that cats, as a species have become lazier, I was just about to go out and buy 4 cats to help manage my wool ball crisis, however this timely piece of scientific know-how has saved me thousands in cat food and vet bills and i will just invest in a flame thrower instead....

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

Bigkok blames ''snakes and cats''.how about the over run vermin ''street vedors'' and their plastic garbage and 5 star hygene..

Yes , of course, food markets are only a recent addition to Bangkok............

Too much building and not enough parks means that when snakes are caught they are killed..(let's not bluff ourselves that they are "relocated") ... I voluntarily keep a feral cat that I have chopped the balls off and I involuntarily have a rat catching snake in my roof......I don't have rats...

Just now, Megasin1 said:

how refreshing to see that when there is some sort of crisis or issue at hand, there is an available expert on stand-by to step in and tell us all things we would never have otherwise known.

Couldn't agree more with you, its my sole reason for logging on to Thai Visa every day,.

3 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Yes , of course, food markets are only a recent addition to Bangkok............

Too much building and not enough parks means that when snakes are caught they are killed..(let's not bluff ourselves that they are "relocated") ... I voluntarily keep a feral cat that I have chopped the balls off and I involuntarily have a rat catching snake in my roof......I don't have rats...

Sounds a bit extreme to get the cat to catch rats, did you have to chop the balls off your roof snake too?

Lazy cats!!!! yeah no way is it the DIRTY LAZY Thais eh, leaving food  around for dogs and cats and anything else all adds to this. About time they learnt that feeding these animals doe not help anyone or anything it just creates more problems which will come back to bite  them later.

Archived