Video: "Oohoo! Farangs show the Thais how to plow with a buffalo!"

snoop1130

Video: "Oohoo! Farangs show the Thais how to plow with a buffalo!"

1527076692016.PNG

Thai TV featured a segment that showed seven westerners in a buffalo plowing contest.

Up and down they went doing it in a traditional way - these guys needed no tractor!

It was a competition in the village of Ban Pan Rua in Surin in Thailand's north east.

Competitors came from Iceland, England, Scotland, Austria, Canada, Holland and Switzerland. 

Emerging victorious was Kerry from Iceland (the story in Thai said Iceland anyway, though we suspect he might have been Irish with a name like that...). Second was the guy from Switzerland. 

The presenters enjoyed themselves conjecturing that the village must have a lot of pretty women for so many farang son-in-laws to be present.

Though later the male presenter suggested, hopefully tongue in cheek, that one of the buffaloes in a "Pretty Khwai" contest was one of their wives. 

TNA said that excitement was at fever pitch for the contest.

Later on there was a competition for all-comers. 

Source: http://www.tnamcot.com/view/5b055778e3f8e4f60285ab6a

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-5-24

10 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Must be fake - buffaloes are sick all the time!

That gets a big like from me but the smile motif is off line.

A thought , I think this is a scam to show the locals that we are not all millionaires and plowing is what we did in the old country , we only came to LoS as the harsh winters in England kills off most heathens at 30 years of age.

1 hour ago, lockyv7 said:

i wouldn't mind going along to watch this and fill in a couple of days in the countryside, bit different from the beer bar or the mall. 

I hope you don't have any pre existing heart complaints ??

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

excitement was at fever pitch for the contest.

Wouldn't want you have any complications with the excitement ? 

1 hour ago, lockyv7 said:

i wouldn't mind going along to watch this and fill in a couple of days in the countryside, bit different from the beer bar or the mall. 

A few years ago my wife and I went to visit Ban Chiang.. just by chance it happened to coincide with their World Heritage celebrations.. they had a buffalo plowing  competition like this one.. very entertaining!  Lots of live music, food stalls, a parade with local traditional costume.. plenty of beer and food..  nice town. We met some ferangs who live in the area.  Altogether a great weekend.   

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/575

2838332521_623ba2af5e_o.jpg

2838334343_f188ca1f04_o.jpg

2838331449_6fe18bb480_o.jpg

2838333081_8251cbb891_o.jpg

It was a lot of fun! There was not a competitor from Austria! It was Australia! Why do they always confuse Austria with Australia? Look at the flags in the video. It will give you a hint. Yes the "Icelander" is from Ireland!

It was a shame that my buffalo was drunk. I could have easily won otherwise!

41 minutes ago, Xaos said:
3 hours ago, Lupatria said:
There goes another embosomed tradition. Women's liberation comes with a price. Now they need falangs doing the job...

women-field_zpselap0qiy.jpg&key=0c5b1c60706fbf6984a410645cec929f31abb7e76338dcdb731e87cf4703c86b

Was that fothr real?us

Probably.  Judging by the style of clothing it was taken during WW1 when most of the farm horses were taken to serve the various armies.

1 hour ago, StarmanBlinky said:

Why do they always confuse Austria with Australia?

A running gag :biggrin:

Both names are close to impossible for many Thais (Isaan people in particular) to pronounce/distinguish.

Austria: òt-dtria

Australia: òt-dtray-lia

And now try to substitute the "r" with an "l" as most Isaan people will do :biggrin:

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

A running gag :biggrin:

Both names are close to impossible for many Thais (Isaan people in particular) to pronounce/distinguish.

Austria: òt-dtria

Australia: òt-dtray-lia

And now try to substitute the "r" with an "l" as most Isaan people will do :biggrin:

A  bit like the joke 'what's the difference between a Canadian and an American?'

A: people like Canadians.

Archived