RTP: Start fining drunk drivers up to 200,000 baht!

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Do what the Vietnamese government dictated when the made it compulsory for driver and passengers to wear and buckle up motor cycle helmets.

From day one of the new  anybody caught not complying with either point their motor cycle was confiscated forever and no chance of retrieval for any reason.

It worked.

Don't give the BIB any ideas, can you just imagine how much they could make on the side selling confiscated motor cycles. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, sn1per said:

What is the legal limit ?

The Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) limit is 0.05 per cent, or 50 mg per decilitre of blood.

For learner drivers and public service vehicle drivers, the limit is zero.

In the UK and Australia, and no doubt many other countries, if you're over 0.05 alcohol, you are asked for your car keys.  No doubt cars can be collected in the police yards after you've paid the fine and provided your driver's licence is still valid.

I think it's Sweden where jail is mandatory for drink-driving.

Not far from where I live in Chiang Mai, there is a 'karaoke shed' (it's nothing more) which at a rough estimate would have more than 500 seats.  It also has three large car parks.  I doubt they spend their evenings drinking coconut water.

But that's their business, as long as they are not also going to drive home.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Don't give the BIB any ideas, can you just imagine how much they could make on the side selling confiscated motor cycles. 

There are a great many deaths of motor cyclists in Thailand.   I read that it's 60+ per day.

Some strong police action could save so many lives.

On 5/25/2018 at 2:59 PM, Eaglekott said:

I believe it should be 0.05g (50mg) but the insurance company might have 0.02g (20mg) so if there is an accident and you below the legal limit you might ending up paying for everything out of your own pocket.  0.05 g per liter is equal to 0.5‰ if I'm not misstaken.

I think I already cleared that up in post number 98..

I can just see all stations asking for more breath analyzers.

Would be a great money spinner for the BIB with their duplicate / triplicate booking and receipt book printing system.

i.e. getting their books copied on the black, with identical numbers.

One for the government records, one or two for the senior officer!!

On 5/28/2018 at 7:10 AM, jossthaifarang said:

I think I already cleared that up in post number 98..

I see nothing in post 98 that mention 0.02g (20mg) for the insurance company, and that was the whole point with my post.  I just mentioned 0.05 because in my post my quote said 0.5g

20 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

I see nothing in post 98 that mention 0.02g (20mg) for the insurance company, and that was the whole point with my post.  I just mentioned 0.05 because in my post my quote said 0.5g

Oh dear, my humblest apologies sir. I will en devour never to misunderstand you again, however with regards to your claim read the link below. More specifically section 3.2 Exclusions - Drunk driving... For you perusal.

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/lifestyle/car-insurance/#Type_1

as most can not/will not pay a big fine.....confiscate the vehicle...crush it in front of their eyes and video such the put the vid on screen at the DLT where we ARE ALL suppose to watch....making sure that this vid is the first part to be seen...

as most can not/will not pay a big fine.....confiscate the vehicle...crush it in front of their eyes and video such the put the vid on screen at the DLT where we ARE ALL suppose to watch....making sure that this vid is the first part to be seen...

If the car is on finance then it's still owned by the finance company? Better to crush the driver.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, jossthaifarang said:

Oh dear, my humblest apologies sir. I will en devour never to misunderstand you again, however with regards to your claim read the link below. More specifically section 3.2 Exclusions - Drunk driving... For you perusal.

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/lifestyle/car-insurance/#Type_1

Yes, 50mg is the law, but everyone should read the fine print from the insurance company. The insurance company might have a 20mg limit and they can deny parts or all of the claims. At least it was stated for my insurance when I had a car a few years ago. And to be clear, it might differ from insurance company to another. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Totally silly any pointless idea. Why try to fine people so much who have no licenses anyway and can't afford a 500 baht fine...or is this just for foreigners? Better to up the jail time.

Jails are already bursting 

Just crush every vehicle that breaks the law

No matter who owns it

3 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Jails are already bursting 

Just crush every vehicle that breaks the law

No matter who owns it

I agree, but I'm not sure if the authorities have the nuts to do that because all the morons would complain. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

I agree, but I'm not sure if the authorities have the nuts to do that because all the morons would complain. 

Then let the army do it.... 

They seem to have bigger balls than the cops

I forgot to come back and argue some more.... The guy who thinks drinking and driving shouldn't be a crime, unless you are at fault for an accident... 

OK, if I or other is at fault for an accident and it has involved being drunk while driving, throw the book at me (or the other person). If I DIDN'T cause an accident, I have committed no crime - and I politely offer my comment of "f'off"

Sounds similar to a police stop (in the USSA) and the officer says show me your ID... why? what offense have I committed and am I under arrest??? No? I haven't but you "just want to run a check" ?   With great tact I politely offer my answer as "no thankyou officer, and can I be on my way now?"

Don't know if police in EU or other countries can legally stop and ask for ID just because they want to if no crime has been committed..... Enlighten me.

Think real hard about the ramifications of "if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about" because it only gets worse from there (SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!)  And this DUI shit is just another version of it

• 2 weeks later...

Not very well thought out. Struggling families tend to drink more. Such high fines would be a huge setback for an entire household for 2-5 years, and could even result in higher numbers of drunk drivers. Fines of 20,000-35,000 is enough to most Thais but what the gov’t won’t do, which they should do, is to send people who drive drunk to prison for 2-5 month and have them go through an extensive learning program on alcohol, drugs, road safety and family values. When done right, its much more effective. The problem is just that nothing in Thailand gets done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Many of the farangs who post here seem to think that every law has been written to gouge money from them. Hate to bust your bubble but laws in Thailand are written by Thais for Thais just because you are dumber than a Somchai and get caught guess what you will be subject to Thai laws.

As in many countries in the world, the fine is always in proportion to one's financial situation.

France turned up with a better deterrent....plainly to seize and impound the car for a year or more.

It hurts much more, no matter who or what his assets may be.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:11 AM, glennb6 said:

Don't know if police in EU or other countries can legally stop and ask for ID just because they want to if no crime has been committed..... Enlighten me.

Yep, in the UK they gained the power to randomly stop any vehicle a few years back whether you've done anything wrong or not. If you don't provide ID you risk being locked up until they verify who you are and that you are driving legally/not wanted etc. etc.

Mind you, they didn't really need the extra power really - they stopped you when they wanted anyway, just said you'd been driving erratically.

Archived