RTP: Start fining drunk drivers up to 200,000 baht!

snoop1130

11 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"He wants to see this increased to at least 100,000 baht and possibly even 200,000 baht in serious cases."

Sounds like an easy way for police to increase their bribes to 50,000 baht. That is, if it were a corrupt country, and not an honorable and honest nation like Thailand.

They will have to extend the parking lots at many police stations for all the new Mercedes'

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand their good intentions but as noted by so many the reality is many can't pay this amount. As I say, you can't get anything if you are scraping the bottom of the pan? 

Then you have a police force that is the judge and jury that don't truly enforce the law in which they suppose to honor. I see daily police riding in two what they are doing I have no idea except go around their area collecting protection money or directing traffic at local markets? To reduce the problem it is enforcement 24/7 not just at checkpoints during Songkran and New Years,  coming up with ideas like 777-555 programs haven't worked today nor will it work tomorrow. 

The recommendations are shocking but that is all it is..

I'm going to waste a minute making an argument that cannot be won...

1. Say I have a few drinks, drive my scooter from the bar back home. Done. No dents, no accidents, no problems.

What foul have I committed?

Should I have been stopped by the popo and fined for

a) eating a ham and cheese sandwich before driving home?

b) not tipping the bartender?

c) committing anti-social behavior that harmed nobody?

d) none of the above?

11 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

That will be the Falang price.

What will Somchai pay,  500 baht and a quick Wai :jap:

maybe an increase,  to a double Wai. :jap::jap:

I agree stanleycoin. I get so pissed at the 2 tier price. Its the same crime. Thais are obsessed with the word farang. My thai wife has been to many countries now and not once has she heard somebody say that asian over there.

10 hours ago, Artisi said:

yes unfortunately, the one who will be in the position of having to pay will be the ones least able to afford pay - while the others will just continue on merrily as if nothing has change (hasn't for them)

Well said. Let's show some sympathy for the poor people who drink and drive and then have the misfortune to get caught. They shouldn't have to pay the same fines as the rich and privileged drink-drivers, right?

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

fines that are commensurate with the level of alcohol in the blood punishing the most serious offenders the most.

That's not a deterrent... A deterrent is knowing that if you are over by 1% or 80%, it doesn't matter, you will be nailed.

11 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

You are absolutely correct. From first hand experience, the current going rate is about 15k. If this talk reaches the finest of the bunch in Pattaya, BKK and Phuket, there will be surely a lot more topics like "got busted for drunk driving and could not pay 50k and now being hold in a cell (but they did not take my mobile phone)" at TV.

And a whole whack of "GoFundMe" beggars asking people to donate because of the "corrupt" system (not because of the "driving while way over the limit and got caught" system). 

Worst thing they could do to increase the fines. Police will be rubbing their hands. They should make it a court case, with the fines and prison term.  given by the judge, confiscate the vehicles and auction them with the funds going into a special fund to advertise strongly the new laws.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I think it is 25mg in LOS, in contrast the UK it is 35mg, so lets be careful out there...:stoner:

Everywhere I have searched, it says 50mg.. There was a new law brought in which targeted young drivers, under 20yrs old and the limit is 20mg !!

Not sure which is the correct info but I would never drive having drunk more than 2 small beers... 

I just found out there are 2 measurements... micrograms/ millilitres of breath or milligrams/ millilitres of blood

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Why not ?

Surely that would be a far better deterrent, especially for the more affluent offenders, some of whom think they are above the law.

one year in  a thai prison would ensure that you never drink and drive again.

The last time I was stopped fopr a breath test ( I never drink and drive NOW !! ), the officer offering me the breath test had been drinking I could smell it on his breath ( Me ex-plod UK ) .

he said have you had a drink today, I said yes, he gave me the test to blow (after putting on a new mouthpiece because I refused unless he did ) . he said you not drink, I said correct, I drink coffee, but you did not ask me that. 

I reported him to the so-called OIOC at the stop, that officer was removed.

SO RTP before you claim extra cash , 

1 clean up your own act

2 give receipts for the money 

I have to agree with the posters who believe that this will be abused in the usual way by the RTP and the public.

Also going on a recent report of a hiso who appearently as the police stated did not necessarily have to do a breath test after a crash.

Clearly to take positive action on traffic offences a whole new enforcement culture is required.

33 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Well said. Let's show some sympathy for the poor people who drink and drive and then have the misfortune to get caught. They shouldn't have to pay the same fines as the rich and privileged drink-drivers, right?

Reading comprehension not your strength. 

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

just another cash cow, i like to see the local Thai man get nicked 1 or 200,000 for DD take him the rest of his life to pay that sort of fine. this is surely directed at farangs only.

Very intelligent reply, and what is the percentage of farang drivers caught driving over the limit, 0.0001 maybe - seems the coffers will be soon overflowing. 

7 minutes ago, p414 said:

one year in  a thai prison would ensure that you never drink and drive again.

They haven't the prison space to cope with a DD purge.....

They did put the fine for no helmet up to 1000bht, never heard of anyone paying that amount..

I've met or know of many Thais who have been caught drinking and driving and have had to report the following week and pay the standard 10,000 baht fine. So anybody stating that all they only pay is 500 baht should stop staring at their computer and get out and witness what actually happens in real world, not the fictitious cyber one.
The whole point of any fine is a deterrent. If they were to increase a drunk driving fine to 200,000 and someone couldn't afford to pay, or needed to ovoid jail then more than likely they will be forced to sell their (or family) assets, cars, land, houses, their grandmother In order to fund the payments. As I said, 200,000 becomes is a serious deterrent, one to many glasses of Hong Thong and you and your family could be homeless. If that doesn't work then there really is no hope.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, glennb6 said:

I'm going to waste a minute making an argument that cannot be won...

1. Say I have a few drinks, drive my scooter from the bar back home. Done. No dents, no accidents, no problems.

What foul have I committed?

Should I have been stopped by the popo and fined for

a) eating a ham and cheese sandwich before driving home?

b) not tipping the bartender?

c) committing anti-social behavior that harmed nobody?

d) none of the above?

You deserve whats coming to you and the sooner the better

I am interested as to what device they are using to ascertain the level of alcohol of the driver for the purpose of proving an offence.

In the articles you see the police holding a hand held device which as I understand is only for initial screening.

In Australia and I understand the UK if the hand held device shows you above the limit you have to take a further test on a properly calibrated machine usually at a police station which prints out a report

I understand the hand held devices used by the police and those in pubs clubs etc are not always accurate.

He wants to see this increased to at least 100,000 baht and possibly even 200,000 baht in serious cases.

Increase in jail time is not on the table.

Seems its all about the money

regards worgeordie

Archived