RTP: Start fining drunk drivers up to 200,000 baht!

snoop1130

13 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Why not ?

Surely that would be a far better deterrent, especially for the more affluent offenders, some of whom think they are above the law.

In a developed country it would certainly function as intended, but how the actual situation appears to be out on the streets it may just give an significant increase on the tea money...:coffee1:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, newnative said:

And now on to red light running, speeding, double-parking and let's win there.

....and no helmets, no seat belts, on phone while driving etc - the issue is not that the laws do not exist, the issue is that the laws are not enforced how they should so an increase of the fines itself will not improve the enforcement as intended....:coffee1:

Why not ?

Surely that would be a far better deterrent, especially for the more affluent offenders, some of whom think they are above the law.

Because Thai prisons are already by far the most overcrowded in SEA. By all means imprison anyone who causes death or injury, but in the case of people caught drink driving the best answer is to confiscate the vehicle (and their licence if they have one). This would proportionally target the HiSo in their Mercs.. However, the statistics show that 80% of the deaths involve LoSo’s on their Suzuki Smash.

Why not ?

While I would agree perhaps there aren't enough jails eh?

Another great idea...

• No more passengers in the back of a pick-up
  • Cops are no longer allowed to wear sunglasses
  • Motorbike taxi should have a meter
  • People on a motorbike must wear a helmet
  • No more than 2 people on a motorbike (driver and 1 passenger)
  • Songkran Festival in Pattaya: Festivities are not allowed on Main-Road such as Sukhumvit road
  • No more beach vendors on the beach
  • Wednesday's no sun loungers and umbrellas on the beach - so the beaches can be cleaned
  • All (speed-) boats have to move to Bali Hai pier
  • ....and so on 

13 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

That will be the Falang price.

What will Somchai pay,  500 baht and a quick Wai :jap:

maybe an increase,  to a double Wai. :jap::jap:

Wow, how original. Did you think that up all by yourself?

The police want realistic penalties for drunk driving, but that still doesn't stop brainless TV idiots making fatuous comments.

13 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Agree

What happens when they just turn around & say have no money (like they do when in an accident )

Selective enforcement and an increase in shake-downs and bribes on a sliding scale?

Thailand's road death statistics suggest it is the most dangerous place in the world to drive and many accidents are caused by drunk drivers. 

Suggest!!!!   Should that not read Confirm?

The answer is attractive alternatives. Cheap metered cabs. I saw this in Ubon, you could get around town in a car taxi for 40 or 50 bath. Anything that is easy to organize and serves as an alternative to drunk people getting behind the wheel.

The rules already in place are more than enough. The only thing is their implementation. Most of the people have no money to pay or refuse to pay simply saying ‘no money’. The only option is lock them up strictly and no bail. Even if the license is confiscated people still drive around as th chances of getting caught are 50-50.. just implement the laws strictly. No one would want to spend a quantity time in jail losing jobs and income... 

13 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

But they all run away,  or try and  pay money under the table to get off lightly. 

Brown Envelope.jpg

Funny how they try to pay money under the table in Thailand, while in other countries people don't try to pay money under the table, because the police don't accept bribes and it's considered a serious offense to bribe a police officer.  I wonder how in the world we could have the rule of law be respected in Thailand?  Oh hey maybe if the police force wasn't corrupt?  LOL

I have a motorbike.....very few people have ever seen it, I go out for a night, have a few drinks and it stays parked up, I get a motorbike taxi home from the same rank that I have been using for going on maybe 10 years...……………….tonight someone I have never seen before at that rank was the available guy for my short trip home.....……..he was plastered and I mean very obviously drunker than me

That shit makes me very angry, what is the point of me relying on a taxi home because I don't want to drink and drive when the taxi driver I get is out of his tree, not the first time this has happened either

I would take this seriously when I see the statistics for the number of breath tests for each station reaching 1,000 per night, the existing penalties if enforced are adequate in most cases and all serving police must be immediately dismissed if offending. 

Now that is serious. 

They should equip all the forces with body  cameras to record their work and interaction with drivers arrested to  oblige them to no get bribes.    Otherwise it's not going to work.  

Speeding and ignoring Road Rules should also be up there with Drink Driving.  There should also be a limit on how many hours straight a truck or passenger vehicle driver can drive.  Tiredness and falling asleep at the wheel is a big killer and is getting a lot of attention in Western Countries right now.

Another focus should not be on the driver of the "biggest" vehicle but on "who actually failed to obey the Road Rules".  With more vehicle mounted cameras it shouldn't be hard to discover who is wrong in most cases.  Stop letting careless motorbike riders off when they plow into a car or other larger vehicle who's driver  is obeying the law.  Same rule should apply to other vehicles as well.

Another area that must be address is school children without Helmets and carrying other children on their motorbikes.  Imagine that happening in other countries - how many of those kids don't have a license to ride a motorbike anyway?

I have witnessed Police outside schools directing traffic to stop for these kids, they pay no attention to them (the kids) at all.  In theory, a parent could bring a case of negligence (failure to administer the Law) against the Police if one of their children is killed. For example,  as a result of riding on the back of a motorbike driven by a fellow student without wearing helmets or having a license, and where a Police Officer directing traffic failed to administer the Law by preventing them from using the motorbike.

Obeying Laws start with the young,  it is too late to teach "old dogs new tricks".

12 hours ago, SABloke said:

Nobody gave a shit that the "law" was refusing a breathalyser test is an admission of guilt.

Picture perfect example of selective enforcement:  If I remember awhile back, some head of a medical department was sloshed to the gills (and there were witnesses to his drinking) and not only ran over a security guard, but dragged him underneath his car for 25 meters or so.  Big Wig doctor refused a breathalyser and nothing came of it other than admonitions in social media.  The hospital he worked for 'transferred' him to another post as he negotiated 'blood money' with his victim and the family and the whole story quickly disappeared.  The government officials and BIB obviously washed their hand of the entire affair.  And here we are: Selective enforcement, and fines and sanctions dictated by social standing and wealth.
Unfortunately this country is too corrupt to implement a functional criminal justice policy, especially when it come to traffic laws and enforcement.  That's really the bottom line.  :closedeyes:

6 hours ago, balo said:

A good Thai salary is 200k in a whole year so how he thinks they can fine the locals this much is a mystery.  Of course it will never happen , just another brainless idea. Prison is a good idea, but there's not enough room inside for 10 million drunk idiots. 

Which is why confiscation of the vehicle (he won’t have money to buy another and drive again) is the only remedy.

39 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Wow, how original. Did you think that up all by yourself?

The police want realistic penalties for drunk driving, but that still doesn't stop brainless TV idiots making fatuous comments.

Yes i did.

Its was a joke,    just like the police force of Thailand,  when it comes to

road safety.

Sorry so many old grumpy people  have a regular sense of humour failure on Tv. :coffee1: 

Ps,  100,000 - 200,000 is not realistic. :crazy:

fines for drunk driving in the UK are means tested which I agree with, there should also be a minimum fine of say B30,000 because many here would simply not be able to pay B200,000, on top of that - loss of license for at least one year forcing those convicted to go through the test process again to obtain a new licence 

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

I've met or know of many Thais who have been caught drinking and driving and have had to report the following week and pay the standard 10,000 baht fine. So anybody stating that all they only pay is 500 baht should stop staring at their computer and get out and witness what actually happens in real world, not the fictitious cyber one.

My,   you keep some nice company.

500 baht was more of a joke . :smile:, like the police are.

BTW 5k, is what most pay, one way or an other. :coffee1:

Right, Im off out to witness more of Thailand, not seen enough in 20 years :coffee1:

20 minutes ago, smedly said:

I have a motorbike.....very few people have ever seen it, I go out for a night, have a few drinks and it stays parked up, I get a motorbike taxi home from the same rank that I have been using for going on maybe 10 years...……………….tonight someone I have never seen before at that rank was the available guy for my short trip home.....……..he was plastered and I mean very obviously drunker than me

That shit makes me very angry, what is the point of me relying on a taxi home because I don't want to drink and drive when the taxi driver I get is out of his tree, not the first time this has happened either

RE - what is the point of me relying on a taxi home because I don't want to drink and drive when the taxi driver I get is out of his tree

DONT - and by planning to visit a bar/restaurant in a walking distance from Your home/accommodation seems to be a safer option....:coffee1:

14 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"He wants to see this increased to at least 100,000 baht and possibly even 200,000 baht in serious cases."

Sounds like an easy way for police to increase their bribes to 50,000 baht. That is, if it were a corrupt country, and not an honorable and honest nation like Thailand.

It’s currently 20,000. So you are about right with your 50,000.

Easy way around this is don’t drink drive. I get my gf to pick me up these days....not sure which is more dangerous 555

23 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes i did.

Its was a joke,    just like the police force of Thailand,  when it comes to

road safety.

Sorry so many old grumpy people  have a regular sense of humour failure on Tv. :coffee1: 

Ps,  100,000 - 200,000 is not realistic. :crazy:

Not realistic  if the target is the thais - but both logic and realistic if the target is tourists which it then seems to be (500 - 5000thb/Thais and 100.000 - 200.000thb/Tourists)....:coffee1:

14 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Why not ?

There would not be enough cells in the prisons to hold them all. Confiscate the vehicles, sell them at auction, then any money that's left over, if any, can then be returned.

Archived